Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two snakes crash through kitchen ceiling

Still Waters

A man in Brisbane, Australia, returned home to find two huge snakes had fallen through his kitchen ceiling on Monday.

The carpet pythons measured around 2.9 meters (9.5 feet) and 2.5 meters (8.2 feet), according to snake catcher Steven Brown, of Brisbane North Snake Catchers and Relocation, who removed them from the property.

"Both these snakes were two of the fattest snakes I've seen, as in the amount of muscle they had," Brown told CNN, adding that they were "very well fed."

The snake catcher posted the shocking find on Facebook, including a number of incredible photos.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/01/asia/brisbane-carpet-pythons-ceiling-scli-intl/index.html

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

It's been a good time for snakes here since the drought has eased.It's just coming into Spring but we don't have harmless pythons where I am in NSW,mainly killer Eastern Browns,the World's second deadliest land snake.My Jack Russell killed 30 last Summer but he lost his lady friend and their pup to the reptiles.:(

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

And this is news why?:rofl:

My thinking too.

I mean, in North America they have bears, mountain lions, rattlesnakes, bears, skunks, snapping turtles, alligators, bears, cat fish, bears...

What's going to harm you in Australia?

Crocs? They live up north.

Snakes? They're mostly terrified of humans.

Sharks? They're in the ocean.

Spiders? Come on, you've got to try hard to be caught by a spider.

It's just the drop bears, really...

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2020 at 2:23 AM, Peter B said:

My thinking too.

I mean, in North America they have bears, mountain lions, rattlesnakes, bears, skunks, snapping turtles, alligators, bears, cat fish, bears...

Crocs? They live up north.

Snakes? They're mostly terrified of humans.

Sharks? They're in the ocean.

Spiders? Come on, you've got to try hard to be caught by a spider.

It's just the drop bears, really...

Wait your joking right? I grew up wandering the woods here amd the only one of those that was ever scary or posed a danger was mountain lions. Maybe the random rattlesnake. Ok maybe I've run from skunks too but in fear of the smell not my life. Bears are mostly friendly. But Im finding out more and more every day why my 8 year old son's biggest fear is Australia.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2020 at 2:22 PM, Still Waters said:

Both these snakes were two of the fattest snakes I've seen, as in the amount of muscle they had," Brown told CNN, adding that they were "very well fed."

I guess that explains why they were in the kitchen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2020 at 7:23 PM, Peter B said:

:lol::lol::lol:Do you ever come out of your house?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, openozy said:

:lol::lol::lol:Do you ever come out of your house?

The dangerous critters mostly have "good manners".

When I lived in Canberra I was a a 20 minute walk away from the City; but, 50 metres from my back door you were apparently in King Brown territory.  Well, that was according the the bloke at the Canberra Reptile Zoo.  People still walked and ran along that nature reserve; but, I can't remember too many snake bite stories.

The scariest story was of a Kangaroo stalking a woman feeding her horses and forcing her to lock herself in a shed and phone a policeman friend.

Here's a story that, I think, perfectly illustrates that when it comes to avoiding each ether the feeling is mutual.

Hunting the deadly coastal taipan

The story of George Rosendale, a 19-year old from Hopevale North Queensland, became the stuff of legend when he survived being bitten by a coastal taipan.

One bite from the snake was usually lethal.

Brendan James Murray unearthed George's story when researching a book about snakes.

He became fascinated by the near-hysteria surrounding the search for the coastal taipan in northern Australia after WWII. 

This species had been thought of as a myth by Europeans until 1933, when local Indigenous people led naturalist Donald Thompson to a living specimen. 

To the Wikmunkan tribe, the snake was known as the Nguman, and it was seen as a part of the landscape, but best avoided. 

For Europeans, the discovery of a living taipan began a scramble for an anti-venom for the lightning-fast snake with hooded eyes, which could kill with one strike. 

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-brendan-james-murray/9504928

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kartikg said:

Why was there a hole in the ceiling? Is it for ventilation? 

Two carpet snakes, weighing a combined 22kg, have smashed a hole in a Dayboro kitchen ceiling.

Two carpet snakes, weighing a combined 22kg, have smashed a hole in a Dayboro kitchen ceiling.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/animals/two-massive-snakes-make-hole-in-brisbane-retirees-kitchen-ceiling/news-story/e10cfe5d2cfaad0248c610c33c3e3e23

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

The dangerous critters mostly have "good manners".

I've been cornerd by an Eastern brown and was only saved by my whippet's quick reactions,I've had a King brown cover 20m just to attack me out bush and various other accounts with them attacking when they could have easily retreated.I don't go much on the wildlife warrior bull---- stories of them being shy,retiring little animals.I nearly died from a wasp sting last year,I've had a mate gutted and killed by an injured roo he was trying to save,bad mistake.As you well know Oz is full of deadly animals,you can barely swim anywhere safely,bush walking is dangerous in Summer anywhere here.I'd hate to see what "bad manners" are from our darling wildlife, lol.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since I've moved to the Western Plains area I've noticed everything that lives here has an extra dose of hostility including the tightly bred local people lol.

19 minutes ago, openozy said:

Since I've moved to the Western Plains area I've noticed everything that lives here has an extra dose of hostility including the tightly bred local people lol.

I assume wherever I can see a lizard, snakes are nearby; but, I honestly don't see them here - one green tree snake in our Christmas tree that's it.  Seeing a Red Belly Black on the road is a spectactular sight - that flash of red... wow!  They were nice enough to start moving off the road as we approached, though.

I will say I don't trust roos; and, I don't know what I would do if they did really come after me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

I assume wherever I can see a lizard, snakes are nearby; but, I honestly don't see them here - one green tree snake in our Christmas tree that's it.  Seeing a Red Belly Black on the road is a spectactular sight - that flash of red... wow!  They were nice enough to start moving off the road as we approached, though.

I will say I don't trust roos; and, I don't know what I would do if they did really come after me.

Black snakes are shy,I used to work in a nursery and they would slither past you working almost daily,if you ignored them.A bit unnerving when you were crouched down lol.My whippet saved me again from a rogue 6ft roo when rabbiting,she had it on the ground by the throat in a second.I then had to drag her off it and it hopped off.30 stitches later for the dog at the vet and a lighter pocket for me but I believe it could have killed me, it had thicker forearms than me.Top dogs whippets, and earn their keep out bush for sure.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, openozy said:

Black snakes are shy,I used to work in a nursery and they would slither past you working almost daily,if you ignored them.A bit unnerving when you were crouched down lol.My whippet saved me again from a rogue 6ft roo when rabbiting,she had it on the ground by the throat in a second.I then had to drag her off it and it hopped off.30 stitches later for the dog at the vet and a lighter pocket for me but I believe it could have killed me, it had thicker forearms than me.Top dogs whippets, and earn their keep out bush for sure.

Has your dog ever run into wombats?

2 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Has your dog ever run into wombats?

My whippets are pretty good and stick to rabbits,they will have a go at pigs but don't chase roos except that one that attacked me.My mate had a staghound that got stuck down a hole chasing a wombat,he eventually came out about three hours later,but wombats are known to crush dog's skulls with their rump against the roof of the burrow.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, openozy said:

My whippets are pretty good and stick to rabbits,they will have a go at pigs but don't chase roos except that one that attacked me.My mate had a staghound that got stuck down a hole chasing a wombat,he eventually came out about three hours later,but wombats are known to crush dog's skulls with their rump against the roof of the burrow.

Yeah, that's why I was asking.  I found a video of a wombat attacking a human - funny stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Yeah, that's why I was asking.  I found a video of a wombat attacking a human - funny stuff.

I wouldn't like to get bitten by one,I was thinking they were one of our nice species,lol.

7 hours ago, openozy said:

I wouldn't like to get bitten by one,I was thinking they were one of our nice species,lol.

I never said any of the the species are cute and cuddly.

I said mostly well mannered. Snake encounters are rare.  You're more likely to see their food than them.

On 9/2/2020 at 1:53 AM, Golden Duck said:

And this is news why?:rofl:

It's weird, bizarre, and offbeat. 

1 minute ago, GlitterRose said:

It's weird, bizarre, and offbeat. 

Snakes are everywhere.

Granted, the drop bears are quieter under lockdown.