Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Charlie Hebdo to reprint Mohammed cartoons

61 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

The French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo said Tuesday it would republish controversial cartoons of the Muslim Prophet Mohammed to mark the beginning of a highly-anticipated trial stemming from the massacre committed at its Paris offices in 2015.

"We will never live down. We will never give up," Charlie Hebdo director Laurent "Riss" Sourisseau wrote in the latest edition of the magazine."

Full story at DW (Germany): Link

BBC: Link

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TigerBright19

Controversial cartoons?  Nobody seems to raise an eyebrow to the daily mockery of Christianity?  If all faiths are to be treated equal, then they should be equally respected.  If the following is allowed to continue, then all faiths should be equally insulted.  Equality should mean the same rule for all, and not a blatant vendetta against one specific faith.

 

To name a few:

Southpark, Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Rick and Morty.

whatison.png

It is highly possible that future generations will look back at our 'TV entertainment' with utter disgust in the same way that we look back at 1970's top shows.

What a 1970's viewer would say - "It's just a bit of fun"

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton

Is it a core tenet of Christianity that no one should create images of Jesus?

Must have missed that sermon. All the crucifixes and stained glass windows had better go too.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gwynbleidd
2 hours ago, TigerBright19 said:

Controversial cartoons?  Nobody seems to raise an eyebrow to the daily mockery of Christianity?  If all faiths are to be treated equal, then they should be equally respected.  If the following is allowed to continue, then all faiths should be equally insulted.  Equality should mean the same rule for all, and not a blatant vendetta against one specific faith.

This is an absolutely excellent response.  Equality should mean the same rule for all.  Thank you @TigerBright19 :D 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HandsomeGorilla

Mock em. Mock all of em. 

No one is exempt, why should they be? Is one Abrahamic religion better than the next? Lol

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
justin3651
19 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Good. **** censorship in all its forms.

And politically correctness too!

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
7 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Does it matter what a "core tenet" of any religion is? All religions should be treated equally, just like all people should be treated equally. 

 

Yet we have plenty of people on here who think they should be allowed to discriminate because their religion tells them to.

Some even liked your comment. Curiouser and curiouser...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
6 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Is one Abrahamic religion better than the next?

Yes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere

Gawd.....hope they've increased security on the doors of their offices.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere
1 hour ago, Setton said:

Yet we have plenty of people on here who think they should be allowed to discriminate because their religion tells them to.

Some even liked your comment. Curiouser and curiouser...

Yes, we've seen the results of that here in the west over the last 20 years or so.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
9 hours ago, Setton said:

Is it a core tenet of Christianity that no one should create images of Jesus?

Must have missed that sermon. All the crucifixes and stained glass windows had better go too.

So if you don't believe in Islamic teachings and that the prophet Mohammed saw the Angel Gabriel in a cave you should still have to abide by Islamic rules?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
1 hour ago, Setton said:

Yet we have plenty of people on here who think they should be allowed to discriminate because their religion tells them to.

 

Who?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
4 hours ago, seanjo said:

So if you don't believe in Islamic teachings and that the prophet Mohammed saw the Angel Gabriel in a cave you should still have to abide by Islamic rules?

Please quite where I said any such thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
1 hour ago, Setton said:

Please quite where I said any such thing.

You implied it by comparing Christianity's rules to Islam's rules.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
3 hours ago, seanjo said:

You implied it by comparing Christianity's rules to Islam's rules.

And did I say everyone should have to follow Christianity's rules?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
41 minutes ago, Setton said:

And did I say everyone should have to follow Christianity's rules?

Your basic argument is: Christianity doesn't say no pictures of Christ, but Islam does say no pictures of Mohammed, so disrespect Christ and Christians all you want, but don't disrespect Islam because they say so...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
57 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Your basic argument is: Christianity doesn't say no pictures of Christ, but Islam does say no pictures of Mohammed, so disrespect Christ and Christians all you want, but don't disrespect Islam because they say so...

If you think that's my argument, I suggest you retake Y6 reading comprehension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
10 hours ago, Setton said:

If you think that's my argument, I suggest you retake Y6 reading comprehension.

"Is it a core tenet of Christianity that no one should create images of Jesus?"

Explain to thick old me what you mean then...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
26 minutes ago, seanjo said:

"Is it a core tenet of Christianity that no one should create images of Jesus?"

Explain to thick old me what you mean then...

Either you treat all religions equally or you don't. Those saying they should be allowed to offend Muslims because all religions should be treated equally are also among the first to say they should be allowed to discriminate against gay people because their religion tells them to.

So which is it? Does everyone have to follow the rules of all religions or should religion only extend to the individual who subscribes to it?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
23 minutes ago, Setton said:

Either you treat all religions equally or you don't. Those saying they should be allowed to offend Muslims because all religions should be treated equally are also among the first to say they should be allowed to discriminate against gay people because their religion tells them to.

So which is it? Does everyone have to follow the rules of all religions or should religion only extend to the individual who subscribes to it?

Religions should all be treated equally, equally criticised, when necessary, equally lambasted when they err, and equally respected when deserved. NO religion should force you to follow their rules...

 

And once again who is saying "they should be allowed to offend Muslims because all religions should be treated equally are also among the first to say they should be allowed to discriminate against gay people because their religion tells them to."

Edited by seanjo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RoofGardener
11 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Religions should all be treated equally, equally criticised, when necessary, equally lambasted when they err, and equally respected when deserved. NO religion should force you to follow their rules...

I'd agree with that, and for the most part - in Western countries - it holds true. With the exception of two religions: Scientology and Islam. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TigerBright19

The main problems arise when governments are themselves ruled by religion and any civilian who mocks or rejects that religion is punished by death for breaking the religious laws of their land and government.  Slavery is still common in some areas of the world, but apparently kneeling for a dead criminal and virtue signalling support is regarded as more important and news worthy.  What's next - pulling down old statues because they offend people's delicate feelings of human history, while the real problems continue to stand without any global interest.  Too late.

 

 

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
43 minutes ago, TigerBright19 said:

The main problems arise when governments are themselves ruled by religion and any civilian who mocks or rejects that religion is punished by death for breaking the religious laws of their land and government.  Slavery is still common in some areas of the world, but apparently kneeling for a dead criminal and virtue signalling support is regarded as more important and news worthy.  What's next - pulling down old statues because they offend people's delicate feelings of human history, while the real problems continue to stand without any global interest.  Too late.

The reason why printing an image of Mohammad is offensive is because to the Muslims an image cannot capture the divinity of their prophet. This means all images of him are a false representation, even a form of idolatry. Publishing the cartoons again will cause outrage amongst Muslims. Not just the extreme ones, but the regular ones too. It is one way in which there is an incompatibility between our western cultural values and Islam.

I have always maintained that some immigration is okay (obviously not mass immigration). It should be limited to an actual brain drain to fill skill gaps which actually exist. It should include people of interest like ex-KGB/FSB agents or political leaders fleeing internal problems. And the only time it should be increased beyond that is if there are a lot of refugees being generated by a neighbouring country or a country further a field if a situation emerges where we are the nearest safe place.

Refugees should later be returned when the problem has been dealt with. As for the brain drain and people of particular interest they need to be compatible with our western cultural values, or willing to change. If they are not willing too `when in Rome do as the Romans do` then it is a mistake allowing them in. We certainly shouldn`t be changing ourselves to make them happy. Its our country, they should be changing to fit in with us. If they wont then they need to find a different country to emigrate too.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.