Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Charlie Hebdo to reprint Mohammed cartoons

Eldorado

44 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

What I am saying is that it is asking for trouble because of the reaction of some extremists. 

Then again, giving Islam a free pass (compared to the ridiculing that Christianity gets) because of the fear of that reaction is giving in to intimidation. 

It basically boils down to people self-censoring because they fear the threats of murderers.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

So the problem is not the cartoons, but the Muslim extremists? Or are the extremists ok and the cartoons are the problem?

Well, for the muslim extremists, the cartoons are the problem obviously. For many others, the cartoons are ok I guess so it really depends on who you ask.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Arbenol said:

Then again, giving Islam a free pass (compared to the ridiculing that Christianity gets) because of the fear of that reaction is giving in to intimidation. 

It basically boils down to people self-censoring because they fear the threats of murderers.

Agreed. However, my point is why would you even put yourself in this situation when you know that the outcome could be deadly. Is it really worth it ? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

Agreed. However, my point is why would you even put yourself in this situation when you know that the outcome could be deadly. Is it really worth it ? 

I understand why they would. Sometimes the principle is the most important thing. If the press kowtow to threats and intimidation then their existence is irrelevant.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, thedutchiedutch said:

What I am saying is that it is asking for trouble because of the reaction of some extremists. 

Yes, but the "some extremists" determine your behaviour, i.e. make you shut up. By the same token, not all Nazi party members were SA, but it was the SA thugs that beat up critics and established dominance. The "peaceful majority" excuse that we often hear is is a copout.

• Like 4

Meanwhile, 66% of young French muslims want blasphemy laws. And seeing the demographic development, it will not take many decades before they are the absolute majority in France. The future of France is Sharia.

https://www.unz.com/gdurocher/poll-66-of-young-muslims-in-france-want-blasphemy-to-punished-by-law/

Perhaps if Christians would start blowing up media headquarters and sending assassination squads after offenders they could get the same deference that the Muslims have created for themselves.  We defend free speech to the point of accepting burning buildings as collateral damage, but some would prohibit the publication of cartoons because it may offend Muslims.  It's cartoons!  A few pages in a magazine and people were killed for it.  The last I heard, humor was still legal, even in France.  But killing people is not.  Charlie Hebdo would be within their rights to raise billboards of those cartoons all over town, while any threat of violence should be dealt with severely.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

Perhaps if Christians would start blowing up media headquarters and sending assassination squads after offenders they could get the same deference that the Muslims have created for themselves.  

Yep, might makes right. Like Osama bin Ladin said: When people see a strong horse, and a weak horse, they bet on the strong horse.

Western liberal idealism might work with the wishy-washy, touchy-feely feminized populations of the West, but faced with solid islamic determination and violence, our politicians crumble like cardboard.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Big Jim said:

Perhaps if Christians would start blowing up media headquarters and sending assassination squads after offenders they could get the same deference that the Muslims have created for themselves.  We defend free speech to the point of accepting burning buildings as collateral damage, but some would prohibit the publication of cartoons because it may offend Muslims.  It's cartoons!  A few pages in a magazine and people were killed for it.  The last I heard, humor was still legal, even in France.  But killing people is not.  Charlie Hebdo would be within their rights to raise billboards of those cartoons all over town, while any threat of violence should be dealt with severely.

Well they use to burn people to the stake.

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Well they use to burn people to the stake.

You are correct, but how does that pertain to the current discussion?

• Thanks 2

A few years ago I tested a theory that only Christianity is allowed to be mocked.  So I did an experiment and uploaded 4 pictures on various forums.  Each picture mocked Christianity, Islam, Jews, Ethnic minorities.  Of course there was no surprise what happened.  All of the pictures were removed by the moderators except for the picture that mocked Christianity.  No surprise at all.  Same with TV and radio unfortunately.  It seems it is really common knowledge that Christianity is the core subject of mockery and has been for years, but nobody actually cares.  It seems that promoting everything that is against Christianity is more important.  The only time we will probably get to see this issue addressed is during an episode of 'Horrible Histories' when they eventually cover the 2000 - 2020's.

Well, maybe not if the BBC are running the show.

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, seanjo said:

So bow down to extremists?

No, I am not saying that I am simply questioning if it is worth it.

12 hours ago, Zaphod222 said:

Yes, but the "some extremists" determine your behaviour, i.e. make you shut up. By the same token, not all Nazi party members were SA, but it was the SA thugs that beat up critics and established dominance. The "peaceful majority" excuse that we often hear is is a copout.

I agree. But cop out or not, my point is, is it worth it. Not an excuse but just an obversation.

2 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Yes. It's worth it...

OK. For you it is. For me not so much. 

14 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Appeasement never works...enjoy Sharia when it comes...

Thanks for the warning :tsu:

2 hours ago, thedutchiedutch said:

I agree. But cop out or not, my point is, is it worth it. Not an excuse but just an obversation.

If it draws attention to the problem and wakes up a lot of sheeple, it is worth it.

3 hours ago, seanjo said:

Appeasement never works...enjoy Sharia when it comes...

Being an independent woman I have a lot more to lose than you guys do. I won't concede under any circumstances and wouldn't be lonely. :gun:

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 1:18 AM, seanjo said:

Your basic argument is: Christianity doesn't say no pictures of Christ, but Islam does say no pictures of Mohammed, so disrespect Christ and Christians all you want, but don't disrespect Islam because they say so...

Yes, else your life is under constant threat. 

Western society traditionally is based on Christian values.  As a result the western nations are largely tolerant and accept other faiths and cultures with open arms.  This unfortunately is not reciprocated in other countries.

religion.png

Yet the media and general public have absolutely no interest in these medieval style injustices.  Future generations will probably judge our time as a depraved and barbaric era that openly encouraged religious persecution.  A simple UN resolution could be passed that sanctions all nations that persecutes Christians and all other practising faiths.

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, kartikg said:

Yes, else your life is under constant threat. 

I would think the the argument is rather that a belief system that reacts with death threats and actual murder when "offended" should not fly under the cover or "religion".

Edited by Zaphod222
mistype
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TigerBright19 said:

Western society traditionally is based on Christian values.  As a result the western nations are largely tolerant and accept other faiths and cultures with open arms.  This unfortunately is not reciprocated in other countries.

religion.png

Yet the media and general public have absolutely no interest in these medieval style injustices.  Future generations will probably judge our time as a depraved and barbaric era that openly encouraged religious persecution.  A simple UN resolution could be passed that sanctions all nations that persecutes Christians and all other practising faiths.

And curiously - with the exception of North Korea and China... all of those countries are Muslim. Whoa thunkit ? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zaphod222 said:

theo-van-gogh-telegraaf.jpg

I remember this well. Theo once said that "If you want to protect the people, you will have to bring the poison to the surface".
Theo did this by being very vocal about his feelings for churches and religion, especially Islam and unfortunately he had to pay for this with his life because one disturbed lunatic extremists coward decided to silence Theo.

Theodoor "Theo" van Gogh was a Dutch director and film and television producer, actor and author. May he rest in peace.

• Like 1

Just now, thedutchiedutch said:

Theodoor "Theo" van Gogh was a Dutch director and film and television producer, actor and author. May he rest in peace.

The European politcians who encourage islamic immigration and submission under islamic laws have his blood on their hands. And that of many other victims.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

And curiously - with the exception of North Korea and China... all of those countries are Muslim. Whoa thunkit ? 

North Korea and China are totalitarian dictatorships..... very close to islamic ideology.

Incidentally, China gives its Uigur muslim population the same treatment the muslim countries give to their minorities --- sort of a sad irony.