Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is spirituality to you?

XenoFish

I'm putting this here so that the ideas presented can be discussed.

To those who are spiritual, what does spirituality means?

To those who are not spiritual what does spirituality mean in your eyes?

From what I can tell. Most spiritual beliefs revolve around something greater than the believer. Maybe some "god" or a deeper connect to the earth or humanity. In a way any type of meaning one gives their life can be seen a spiritual.

I would like to keep this discussion away for a God does/n't exist. 

• Like 5

Truth

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It's a fairytale of BS, that people need to make their lives more interesting and give it meaning. A hope to survive death even.

It is all lies.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It is the feeling of being connected to something deeper than what we can see or proven to exist in the physical realm, including but not limited to religious beliefs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, acute said:

XenoFish trying to start an argument.

And this. :D

• Haha 4

@OverSword

We know Xeno is in the mood for an argument when he starts this type of thread.

.....and we know his answer to everything:

Been there, done that, don't believe it anymore, so neither should you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Might as well not even bothered creating this thread. 

What is spirituality to you Xeno?

• Like 3

Belief in something greater then yourself. Therapist often use spirituality to mean non-religous afterlife things. 

• Like 2

To me, spirituality is having purpose and peace in life, believing in something bigger than you.  Prayer, meditation, keeping a journal of your feelings, taking care of your body, even practicing slow breathing and refocusing your energy.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

For me it means being aligned with my spiritual ground beyond the everchanging events. My ground is eternal happiness, love and peace.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

First page and **** posting has already started. Great:rolleyes:

Well then maybe you should stop doing the exact same thing you are complaining about to other people's threads in the future. Let's all mature up!

Edited by papageorge1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I Exist. That's all I know. 

Why do you think you exist?   Do you believe there's a purpose in all that we go through?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tcgram said:

Why do you think you exist?   Do you believe there's a purpose in all that we go through?  

To be honest no. I'd like to think there is a reason, but the more I think upon it the more morbid it becomes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

To be honest no. I'd like to think there is a reason, but the more I think upon it the more morbid it becomes.

Thanks for being honest.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I'm putting this here so that the ideas presented can be discussed.

From what I can tell. Most spiritual beliefs revolve around something greater than the believer. Maybe some "god" or a deeper connect to the earth or humanity. In a way any type of meaning one gives their life can be seen a spiritual.

I would like to keep this discussion away for a God does/n't exist. 

For me, meditation, yoga and living mindfully is my spirituality. I meditate for the peace and clarity it brings...I practice yoga or run. Both are meditative. I will be going on my first silent retreat with the Neurologist I work for which for me is a bucket list type adventure, my boss has researched and been a part of studies on meditation. I am getting quite an understanding that has helped me grow, I couldn’t ask for more. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 8

I'm not sure it has meaning to me at all. Dawkins described his atheist idea of spirituality as a swelling in the breast when he gazes upon natural wonders, like the brilliant display left over from a Supanova. 

I'm not sure that's actually 'spirituality' - is it? I'd be interested to see what others think. I would consider that more like awe?

Most people seem to describe it as the remnants of religion once one removes the silliest and most unbelievable parts. It seems to be a waste product of religion. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tcgram said:

For me, my experiences cumulatively have offered me the opportunity to empathize and be of service compassion in action is my purpose these days. For me, my purpose has changed over the course of my life.

I have a question for you Connie, who are you? 
No rush on answering. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I'm not sure it has meaning to me at all. Dawkins described his atheist idea of spirituality as a swelling in the breast when he gazes upon natural wonders, like the brilliant display left over from a Supanova. 

I'm not sure that's actually 'spirituality' - is it? I'd be interested to see what others think. I would consider that more like awe?

Most people seem to describe it as the remnants of religion once one removes the silliest and most unbelievable parts. It seems to be a waste product of religion. 

Do you feel at one with whatever you are awestruck by?

• Like 1

Just now, Sherapy said:

Do you feel at one with whatever you are awestruck by?

Sometimes.

That's the sort of feeling I get out riding my bike, or play a particularly melodious guitar piece, I used to also get that on perfect days surfing when younger, but if I witness something amazing, like a view from a mountain top, gazing through a telescope or watching the sun rise from a hot air balloon, it's more a seperated feeling, like I'm part of an exclusive audience. A privilege if you will. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

For me, my experiences cumulatively have offered me the opportunity to empathize and be of service compassion in action is my purpose these days. For me, my purpose has changed over the course of my life.

I have a question for you Connie, who are you? 
No rush on answering. 

I strive to be like Christ and His teachings.   I am a person who believes we are here for a purpose, to show others love and compassion, forgiveness.   I think we should help others as we can through our journey in life.   

• Like 4