Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tasmanian tiger pelt reveals rich fur colors

Still Waters

Important findings about the extinct Tasmanian tiger indicate the true beauty of the enigmatic thylacine thanks to a well-preserved pelt.

A microscopic examination of the recently rediscovered pelt revealed the animal's fur varied in coarseness, shape and colour, and it had at least three layers of body hair.

David Thurrowgood, a Launceston conservator, said the pelt's colours were much more dramatic than in other faded thylacine pelts that existed in museums, which made the pelt one of the best still in existence.

"The rich chocolate browns on the stripes and honey colours, down to really beautiful greys on the underside of the animal, indicate how beautiful it would have been," he said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-29/tasmanian-tiger-thylacine-colourful-pelt-from-nz-reveals/12597682

• Like 4

20 hours ago, oldrover said:

They're also incredibly soft to the touch.

Do you think this might be good enough to interest Mike Archer?

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 11:38 AM, psyche101 said:

Do you think this might be good enough to interest Mike Archer?

I don't know. I'd imagine that while the colour is well preserved the DNA would be just as vulnerable as any other. But I really have no clue about that sort of thing.