Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A First World War ‘death penny’ mystery

Eldorado

"A ‘death penny’ was issued to the next of kin of fallen heroes who lost their lives during the Great War.

"This one, which is engraved with the name Stephen Ray along with Britannia standing alongside a lion, was discovered by Dot and Tim Oakes while they were re-laying the floor of their larder in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire."

Full story at Portsmouth News UK: Link

Seperate article:

"The Story Of The 'Dead Man's Penny'" at Forces dot net: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5

I restore old arcade machines and have several harvard metal typers some likely close to 100 years old,

I have found tokens stamped with peoples names that got stuck or lost in the machines, tried to look up some folks and mostly dead ends,

A lot of things like this penny are a race with the undertaker,

• Like 3

I was wondering how they engraved his name onto a penny, then I saw that it was .....well.....  slightly larger than an actual old penny.

:lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acute said:

I was wondering how they engraved his name onto a penny, then I saw that it was .....well.....  slightly larger than an actual old penny.

yeah, 12cm no less!! This is hardly a penny that slipped through the cracks in the floor. It must have been secreted under the floor deliberately. Also, this was the Great or First World War, 1914-18, so why did the British government produce a bronze disk or plaque with metric dimensions? Why not imperial?

@Ozymandias

why did the British government produce a bronze disk or plaque with metric dimensions? Why not imperial?

It's just a random thing.

We didn't even know what centimetres were in the 10's/20's.

Edited by acute
CöckUp

1 hour ago, acute said:

I wondered at how they accomplished it on the scale of production they needed from WWI :(   What a slaughter it was...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, and then said:

What a slaughter it was...

I recommend that you watch the film "They Shall Not Grow Old".