Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Battery-free Game Boy runs forever

Eldorado

"A hand-held video game console allowing indefinite gameplay might be a parent's worst nightmare.

"But this Game Boy is not just a toy. It's a powerful proof-of-concept, developed by researchers at Northwestern University and the Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) in the Netherlands, that pushes the boundaries of battery-free intermittent computing into the realm of fun and interaction.

"Instead of batteries, which are costly, environmentally hazardous and ultimately end up in landfills, this device harvests energy from the sun -- and the user. These advances enable gaming to last forever without having to stop and recharge the battery."

Full story at Science Daily: Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've been waiting for this to happen!

I predicted a time when advances in solar cell technology, and energy efficient processors, make the batteries in low-power devices unnecessary.

(Not boasting or anything..... :innocent:)

• Like 2

When i first saw this it reminded me of the movie toy soldiers but its different but still cool like a new twist to 80s solar watches and calculators.

• Like 2

^ I still have my solar-powered calculator from way back when.

It's in mint condition 'cause I only use it about twice a year. :lol:

• Like 1

Its been at least 10 perhaps 15 years the led solar key fobs etc that looked like they were flashing but no batteries,

I gave one to my dad it never did fail after he passed i found in in a box of his stuff given to me, still going, if in light.

• Like 1