Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Undelievable school system in North carolina

RoofGardener

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

If a building is shut down, it does not need a janitor, or an IT guy, or utilities.  It is cheaper to shut it down than keep it open.

My taxes go up every year to pay the increasing cost of school employees' salaries, supplies, and utilities.  If they can save money this year,  and use it next year all the better.

Just as important:  if they are enforcing a covid routine of masks and distancing and they can only facilitate 1/3 to 1/2 of the normal student body, who decides what students get the free seats?  What do you tell the other half?  "Tough Luck"

If I were a taxpayer and my child was in the unlucky half, I would be outraged and think it was totally unjust.

If they charge and I have the opportunity to pay for it, then it is my choice what to do.

Fire code in most jurisdictions won't let them just shut it down when it comes to utilities. The IT person is probably salaried and on call or staffed for the buildings that are open and yes most schools have offices open even in the summer. Maintenance has to be there for any eventuality. 

It's the 70 dollars a week for disadvantaged students is what is ludicrous. 140 dollars for anyone else. Why would they even consider using the facilities when an home internet connection would be way cheaper.

5 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

It's the 70 dollars a week for disadvantaged students is what is ludicrous. 140 dollars for anyone else. Why would they even consider using the facilities when an home internet connection would be way cheaper.

Are we offering to pay for people's home internet connection if they don't have one?

2 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Are we offering to pay for people's home internet connection if they don't have one?

Oh for pity sake! I simply inferred that it would be cheaper for the parents to purchase internet services then it would be for them to pay for the facilities that are already taxpayer funded. :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Oh for pity sake! I simply inferred that it would be cheaper for the parents to purchase internet services then it would be for them to pay for the facilities that are already taxpayer funded.

If a household wants to pay for an internet connection, they are free to do so. 

My kid went to a public school.  We had to pay a fee and buy his uniform when he played basketball.  If he had been in the band, we would have had to pay for all of that.  The gym, the band hall, and the stadium are all owned by the school district.

Do students and parents get in free to basketball games and football games at the school facilities?

I am not trying to be a jerk about this, it just does not seem so unique to charge for a service that not everybody wants or can take advantage of using.

11 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

If a household wants to pay for an internet connection, they are free to do so. 

My kid went to a public school.  We had to pay a fee and buy his uniform when he played basketball.  If he had been in the band, we would have had to pay for all of that.  The gym, the band hall, and the stadium are all owned by the school district.

Do students and parents get in free to basketball games and football games at the school facilities?

I am not trying to be a jerk about this, it just does not seem so unique to charge for a service that not everybody wants or can take advantage of using.

https://www.ednc.org/durham-public-schools-charging-unconstitutional-public-school-tax-that-keeps-underprivileged-kids-out/

Senate Leader Phil Berger (R-Rockingham) said, “Charging a tax on families who wish to access public learning center resources inside public schools is unconstitutional. Durham, and any other jurisdiction charging this illegal tax, is preventing underprivileged families from accessing public school resources. They need to repeal their unconstitutional school tax immediately.” 

The N.C. Constitution requires the state to provide “a general and uniform system of free public schools…wherein equal opportunities shall be provided for all students.”

2 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

enate Leader Phil Berger (R-Rockingham) said, “Charging a tax on families who wish to access public learning center resources inside public schools is unconstitutional. Durham, and any other jurisdiction charging this illegal tax, is preventing underprivileged families from accessing public school resources. They need to repeal their unconstitutional school tax immediately.” 

The N.C. Constitution requires the state to provide “a general and uniform system of free public schools…wherein equal opportunities shall be provided for all students.”

Well, to be fair, then if they cannot accommodate all students, they just stay shut down.  Then private companies can start learning centers and charge whatever the market will bear.

What is the proposed solution?