Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Result of ET technosignatures survey revealed

UM-Bot

“The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.”  Carl Sagan

5 Stellar Quotes from Science-Fiction Master Arthur C. Clarke | Science  quotes, Science fiction quote, Quotes

To be continued I guess....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We may not be alone But we may be the most advanced, However advanced a race maybe at one time they were at the same stage as we are now and there is nothing to say we are not the first to get to this level of advancement, maybe there is life out there just not as advanced as us yet.  Someone had to be first..

4 hours ago, Ratbiter said:

We may not be alone But we may be the most advanced,

Maybe or maybe not, its all speculation only.

• Like 1

We need a 24/7 observation of the whole sphere and on billions of frequencies. :yes:

• Like 1

How do you scan 10 million stars in 17 hours? Are they really doing it right? With what they admit is very possibly rudimentary equipment? Is it just me?

10 minutes ago, mesuma said:

How do you scan 10 million stars in 17 hours? Are they really doing it right? With what they admit is very possibly rudimentary equipment? Is it just me?

There are approximately 400 billions stars in just our small galaxy. If you aim into the thicker parts of things you will have 10 million stars in a VERY small area of focus. They don't scan one star at a time it is done in mass.

The effort to find a star that has something broadcasting radio waves is a problem in both area and focus but even greater is the aspect of TIME. Someone on a planet around a star in out relatively near neighborhood say within 250 light years. They could focus right on us and they wouldn't hear a peep from us. Our broadcasts have not reached them yet. Even now we are using less powerful radio transmissions as our radios are much more sensitive and with more and more radio stations most of the old 50,000 watt Super Stations are gone. In a few more decades we no doubt will mostly stop using radio wave all together. 

When you are looking for radio signals you have billions of stars to look at and even then they may only be broadcasting for a few centuries. Their signals may not be here yet or they may have passed us by in the past before we were listening. It is actually a much greater problem than people generally realize. We may be like someone looking for smoke signals and then deciding they are alone because they never see any. the sad thing is that even if we find some signals depending how far away the signal came from they may no longer exist or be so far advance from that time that we could never understand them.

• Thanks 1

The article itself explained the physical limitations.

Plus, of course,  we might be trying to play a cd  on a 78 rpm turntable,  or vice versa 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hazzard said:

“The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.”  Carl Sagan

5 Stellar Quotes from Science-Fiction Master Arthur C. Clarke | Science  quotes, Science fiction quote, Quotes

To be continued I guess....

I'm going for the first option. And if we're not, the distances involved are so immense that we may as well be.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DreadLordAvatar said:

Of course we are not alone. 
ufos, tic tacs, 100%

UFO's are not evidence of alien life. At all.  Believe me, if a ship from a different civilization starts orbiting the earth you'll know it.  There is zero evidence we are being or have been visited by people from a different world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What if there are civilisations who have advanced past radio waves and use lasers or a new device that we haven't discovered yet , our discovery of radio waves is just over 100 yrs old , the same as electricity , and we still use fossil fuels so until we advance another few hundred years there isn't much hope of discovering any other intelligent races . BUT we still have to keep on looking .

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Believe me, if a ship from a different civilization starts orbiting the earth you'll know it. 

Why do you say that?

18 minutes ago, SeekTruth said:

Why do you say that?

Because it will be large enough that everyone could see it.  Have you ever watched the ISS pass overhead?  I can see that even in the city.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Because it will be large enough that everyone could see it.  Have you ever watched the ISS pass overhead?  I can see that even in the city.

Even small satellites are pretty much visible, for example the '@&%-StarLink units which are at ca. 3x1,6x13meters, But, its all alienz.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Why assume E.T. craft will be large? They could be nanotech for all we know.

37 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Surely it's all more hypothetical? What if they're so advanced they can actually be perfectly stealthed? What if its managed to make itself look like a satellite? What if its just a probe? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're wrong in what you say, as what you say is logical. However, you have to assume, that IF an alien civilization wanted to visit Earth, they'd be vastly more technologically advanced than us and have technology that we couldn't even fathom.

But I do partially agree with your premise. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SeekTruth said:

Why assume E.T. craft will be large? They could be nanotech for all we know.

53 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Surely it's all more hypothetical? What if they're so advanced they can actually be perfectly stealthed? What if its managed to make itself look like a satellite? What if its just a probe? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're wrong in what you say, as what you say is logical. However, you have to assume, that IF an alien civilization wanted to visit Earth, they'd be vastly more technologically advanced than us and have technology that we couldn't even fathom.

But I do partially agree with your premise. 

Yep.  You never know.

• Like 1

Whatifwhatifwhatifyadayadayada

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/9/2020 at 1:54 AM, DanL said:

There are approximately 400 billions stars in just our small galaxy. If you aim into the thicker parts of things you will have 10 million stars in a VERY small area of focus. They don't scan one star at a time it is done in mass.

The effort to find a star that has something broadcasting radio waves is a problem in both area and focus but even greater is the aspect of TIME. Someone on a planet around a star in out relatively near neighborhood say within 250 light years. They could focus right on us and they wouldn't hear a peep from us. Our broadcasts have not reached them yet. Even now we are using less powerful radio transmissions as our radios are much more sensitive and with more and more radio stations most of the old 50,000 watt Super Stations are gone. In a few more decades we no doubt will mostly stop using radio wave all together. 

When you are looking for radio signals you have billions of stars to look at and even then they may only be broadcasting for a few centuries. Their signals may not be here yet or they may have passed us by in the past before we were listening. It is actually a much greater problem than people generally realize. We may be like someone looking for smoke signals and then deciding they are alone because they never see any. the sad thing is that even if we find some signals depending how far away the signal came from they may no longer exist or be so far advance from that time that we could never understand them.

That's what I meant...............Kind of.  I understand how they do it, what they use and how small an area in the sky (cosmos) they choose to zoom in on.  But to me, using 17 hours to scan 10 million stars looking for something you might never ever hear/detect and then say there's nothing there is not really the best way to look in the first place.  Never mind declare there is nothing there.  I do realise that we are bound by our technological achievments but still.

Edited by mesuma

2 hours ago, SeekTruth said:

You don't think about hypotheticals?

Sure, that can be fun but to be real you can’t go too far outside the laws of physics or common sense otherwise you can get as ridiculous with hypotheticals as you want. There are very many and very interesting reasons staying within realistic boundaries as to why aliens visiting is not likely.  

• Like 2