Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Friction and brakes

Damien99

So I have a question about friction. 
on a motorcycle the front brake is 3/4 if stopping power and back break 1/4 of stopping. Now a few times in an emergency stop I have fishtailed my back tire. I learned this is because the front break was not enabled enough for the back break to stop steady. Friction question if both breaks are engaged why would it matter how much you engage the front brake. 

32 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

So I have a question about friction. 
on a motorcycle the front brake is 3/4 if stopping power and back break 1/4 of stopping. Now a few times in an emergency stop I have fishtailed my back tire. I learned this is because the front break was not enabled enough for the back break to stop steady. Friction question if both breaks are engaged why would it matter how much you engage the front brake.

I dont know what exactly is your question but I will give it a try. Brake power depends on various circumstances like speed, bike type, tyres, chassis/suspension setup and dynamic wheel load distribution during the braking process. I mentioned bike type because there are big differences between a Harley (which isnt a motorbike but a alienated agricultural machine) and a modern SuperSport bike. Depending on the speed, up to nearly 100% of the breaking power are delivered by the front brakes. While breaking, the load (bike and driver) move to the front, resulting into relief of the rear wheel and so to reach the blocking point early. As a blocked wheel has no stabilizing centrifugal force anymore, trouble will occur. In a nutshell, the front brakes are running the show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, toast said:

I dont know what exactly is your question but I will give it a try. Brake power depends on various circumstances like speed, bike type, tyres, chassis/suspension setup and dynamic wheel load distribution during the braking process. I mentioned bike type because there are big differences between a Harley (which isnt a motorbike but a alienated agricultural machine) and a modern SuperSport bike. Depending on the speed, up to nearly 100% of the breaking power are delivered by the front brakes. While breaking, the load (bike and driver) move to the front, resulting into relief of the rear wheel and so to reach the blocking point early. As a blocked wheel has no stabilizing centrifugal force anymore, trouble will occur. In a nutshell, the front brakes are running the show.

It is a 1300cc tour bike, weighs 685 pounds plus my 240 49 pound body 

7 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

It is a 1300cc tour bike, weighs 685 pounds

Horror!

Edited by toast