Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elderly python has immaculate conception

Eldorado

53 minutes ago, openozy said:

I didn't know what to look under,that has amazed me,Ive only ever heard of insects doing this,thanks for sharing.

Me too, although 1 in 11 does still seem rather exaggerated and from the links I've seen, it's certain species and only one has lived passed 8 days 

However,

That it happens at all is amazing, I didn't think it happened outside of reptiles and amphibians. Something new I've learned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Me too, although 1 in 11 does still seem rather exaggerated and from the links I've seen, it's certain species and only one has lived passed 8 days 

However,

That it happens at all is amazing, I didn't think it happened outside of reptiles and amphibians. Something new I've learned. 

I saw 1 in 11 quite a while back so I am speaking from memory. I do recall it doesnt happen to eggs which have been chilled or pasteurized (obviously). But I was under the impression it was a lot more that a rare event, at least with chickens. There are plenty of stories of people getting a chicken egg that hatched if you search on the net, but they all seem to assume that a rooster must have somehow got to the female bird.

Humans do it too! But the majority of the time it happens to us it will result in a miss-carriage because the foetus isn`t viable due to us loosing our evolutionary edge for this type of replication. If it goes full term its basically an identical copy of the mother.

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

I do recall it doesnt happen to eggs which have been chilled or pasteurized (obviously)

I do know of people that have hatched quail eggs bought to eat from a fridge but I think there may have been a male accidently put in their layer cage.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 9:04 PM, openozy said:

Is that a proven fact?So you are saying eggs from a battery hen system have the chance to produce live chicks if incubated?I've bred chickens all my life and never heard of this,not saying it's not true but if they have never mated it seems impossible.

I don't think it is true.   I've had chickens for many years and that 1 in 11 number con't even be close.  I incubate a couple times a year.  

9 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't think it is true.   I've had chickens for many years and that 1 in 11 number con't even be close.  I incubate a couple times a year.  

The link seems convincing,even happened in rabbits but it goes against everything I've learnt about reproduction.

13 hours ago, openozy said:

The link seems convincing,even happened in rabbits but it goes against everything I've learnt about reproduction.

I won't deny it could and does happen, but 1 in 11 isn't close to true.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

It sounds a bit high.The worst thing about this is it makes males almost obsolete,lol.

On 9/11/2020 at 3:25 AM, Piney said:

Some reptiles, amphibians and female siblings do that under duress.........at least that's what she said.. :unsure2: 

Hey! That's my line..

<----------------------

Edited by Rolltide
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, openozy said:

The rabbits were artificially induced. Not sure how they do that, but I don't think a mammal has ever produced a viable offspring. The link I read said the chickens rarely live past 8 days. Lack of genetic material creates a poor offspring. I suspect the offspring is more like a natural clone of the parent than actual offspring.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Myles said:

That's high, but good call to cookie I have to say to bring it up at all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

The rabbits were artificially induced. Not sure how they do that, but I don't think a mammal has ever produced a viable offspring. The link I read said the chickens rarely live past 8 days. Lack of genetic material creates a poor offspring. I suspect the offspring is more like a natural clone of the parent than actual offspring.

Maybe they are born the genetic age of the parent and their organs can't cope.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, openozy said:

Maybe they are born the genetic age of the parent and their organs can't cope.

I'm pretty sure it's more to do with weak genetics. Like inbreeding. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I'm pretty sure it's more to do with weak genetics. Like inbreeding. 

I just remember Dolly the sheep,her clone was born as a 5 year old sheep,Dolly's age.

2 hours ago, openozy said:

I just remember Dolly the sheep,her clone was born as a 5 year old sheep,Dolly's age.

That was just the press misrepresenting information again. The Roslin Institute set the record straight there. Several other sheep were cloned from the same source and lived full lives. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Lack of genetic material creates a poor offspring

When you think about it it is sort of the closest form of inbreeding,the parent would only need a slight fault and the offspring are doomed.I've heard of a strain of mice that are bred brother to sister every gen and are healthy and produce large litters.That is some seriously dedicated animal husbandry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, openozy said:

When you think about it it is sort of the closest form of inbreeding,the parent would only need a slight fault and the offspring are doomed.I've heard of a strain of mice that are bred brother to sister every gen and are healthy and produce large litters.That is some seriously dedicated animal husbandry.

Yeah cheetahs are also a good example. After a bottleneck they were reduced to a very small population and still have serious genetic problems.

• Like 1