Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Creature' in India turns out to be a hoax

UM-Bot

That one looks like a gaff, almost no organic quality, but very nice work,

This one is haunting,

index(5).jpg.95f01689b80a7789ac19af8968f6934b.jpg

It made the rounds a while back and isnt a gaff.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

What this story tells me is how easily people are fooled.

It doesn't look like a real creature yet people accepted it as real.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

That one looks like a gaff, almost no organic quality, but very nice work,

This one is haunting,

index(5).jpg.95f01689b80a7789ac19af8968f6934b.jpg

It made the rounds a while back and isnt a gaff.

Some kind of monkey miscarriage ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Im not entirely sure they every decided 100% what poor misfortunate earthy creature that was

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

7 hours ago, the13bats said:

Im not entirely sure they every decided 100% what poor misfortunate earthy creature that was

A little more info and possibilities here - http://www.hoaxorfact.com/paranormal/alien-humanoid-found-during-excavation-in-jodhpur-india-facts.html 

• Like 4

On 9/11/2020 at 3:12 PM, stereologist said:

It doesn't look like a real creature yet people accepted it as real.

Because of we're living in the material world, not a real world.:P

It turned out to be art, not a hoax. I highly doubt the maker made it with the intent to pass it off as real.
Also, I'd have named it Brown Jenkin, but I'm a Lovecraft fan.

16 hours ago, Seti42 said:

It turned out to be art, not a hoax. I highly doubt the maker made it with the intent to pass it off as real.
Also, I'd have named it Brown Jenkin, but I'm a Lovecraft fan.

Many times ive seen art trying to be pasted off as something real, and ive seen artists try to bluster that hoax wasnt the attention, perhaps it wasnt their first intention but the hoax gained far more attention than their art wouldnt without it and i learned booking art shows ego and attention are the name of the game,

Cue in gen-pet.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, the13bats said:

Many times ive seen art trying to be pasted off as something real, and ive seen artists try to bluster that hoax wasnt the attention, perhaps it wasnt their first intention but the hoax gained far more attention than their art wouldnt without it and i learned booking art shows ego and attention are the name of the game,

Cue in gen-pet.

I made a series of fake UFO and ghost photos in art school. Had a show of them and everything. I was 100% transparent that they were made using darkroom and in camera tricks. That was the point. Now, this was in 1998-99...So they didn't make it onto the internet. I still have the negatives, and a few prints, but I haven't scanned them. Partly because I don't want them to float around the internet and be repurposed by scammers who claim they're real for clicks/upvotes. I sold several prints, and AFAIK, the buyers haven't floated them as "real", lol.

I'm sure there are some artists who encourage such interpretations, viral marketing, whatever...But I don't think it's common.

I do think there are a lot of people in the paranormal/conspiracy community who appropriate artworks and intentionally misuse them like that, though. Some of the most internet-famous "paranormal" photos are art projects that were stolen by paranormal bloggers and passed off as real. A great example being that night vision photo of the "Rake" we've all seen.

1436937753_preview_Rakee-s.jpg

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 3

Seti, it varies, motivations etc,

About 20 years back a buddy into the photography hobby wanted to tease a true believer friend, so one night he take a photo he shot of a graveyard and a girl he took pics of, the girl was from the side wearing a large mens white dress shirt in a bedroom setting.

John would shop her into the graveyard email it to me i would make suggestions and he would edit, so it looks really good, too good like a typical faked hoax ghost pic, john sends it to the true believer, she goes nuts she belives it 100% her ghost club leader believes it, and it went big with them,

John wasnt the most tactful guy and spanked her hard when he showed her it was a fake, she was deeply hurt, she was a kind person and i feel badly to this day i was involved, i imagine that shot is floating around the internet.

Had me fooled, and now they say it is fake??? WTF!

:D

Edited by South Alabam
  • Haha 1

First thing I would of thought was some sort of toy someone made or bought. You can tell its fake just by looking at the skin on it, it has a rubber tone. 

Heres a puzzler,

eraserhead_baby_9.jpg.3f288e1d5ad82b2f406e16f91e327dff.jpg

Its the baby from eraserhead,

Lynch was very vauge and cryptic about it and the embellishments grew into things like crew signed papers not to talk about it,

Lynch said things like they found it nearby and gave it a funeral after filming, rumors included fetal animal, rabbit, goat, etc but i doubt it was organic, plus the film took many years to complete

B&W adds to the creepy organic factor, it had a lot of facial movements for that era and if a sock puppet type prop it was really well done, other make up in the film was really low end,

On 9/13/2020 at 3:43 PM, the13bats said:

Cue in gen-pet.

Not gonna lie when I first saw a photo of the face of that "mother bird" statue by Keisuke Aisawa (the one some jerk appropriated and misused for that Momo crap) I was kinda disturbed for a few moments and some part of my mind almost believed it to be a genuine supernatural creature. It looked too tangible and lifelike to be CGI ora photo edit. 

Of course just a Google search told me what it really was, and the whole statue looked a lot less "realistic" than the face did by itself. But it shows you what people with the right amount of skill and creativity can create. 

• Thanks 1

7 Real Life Forms That People Once Believed Were Hoaxes

1. Platypus -The platypus is probably the most famous case of an animal that was, at one time, believed to have been a hoax.

2. Okapi - For European and American researchers who were investigating the wildlife of Central Africa at the turn of the 20th century, the okapi was, for some time, a cryptid.

3. Pelican - Scientists had good reason to doubt the reports from sailors who had spotted the birds in the New World.

4. Microorganizms - Imagine that you're a 17th-century scientist and someone comes and tells you that there are microscopic creatures everywhere, unseen by the naked eye.

5. King Of Saxony Bird - Can an animal be too striking to be real? The incredible brow plume of the King of Saxony Bird-of-Paradise made it immediately suspect.

6. Venus Flytrap - Here was a "sensitive" plant in a far away land that didn't just sense the movement of animals; it ate them.

7. Plesiosaurus - In 1823, paleontologist Mary Anning discovered the first complete skeleton of Plesiosaurus.. But not everyone believed that the find was genuine at first.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Not gonna lie when I first saw a photo of the face of that "mother bird" statue by Keisuke Aisawa (the one some jerk appropriated and misused for that Momo crap) I was kinda disturbed for a few moments and some part of my mind almost believed it to be a genuine supernatural creature. It looked too tangible and lifelike to be CGI ora photo edit. 

Of course just a Google search told me what it really was, and the whole statue looked a lot less "realistic" than the face did by itself. But it shows you what people with the right amount of skill and creativity can create. 

Mother bird had a cartoonish look to me.

You wanna be disturbed by art?

Youngxxx_Family_View-1.jpg

Many years ago my buddy john rip who was an advid hobby photographer emailed me this, it was presented kind of creepypasta style that it was a human dog hybrid, at first jarring but i could tell by the setting it was static and placed there, as in it didnt crawl there, it upset a lot of people, it took me a while to track it down, like i said this was decades back.

Its the work of Artist Patricia Piccinini.

She has other stuff and some very jarring.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

Mother bird had a cartoonish look to me.

You wanna be disturbed by art?

Youngxxx_Family_View-1.jpg

Many years ago my buddy john rip who was an advid hobby photographer emailed me this, it was presented kind of creepypasta style that it was a human dog hybrid, at first jarring but i could tell by the setting it was static and placed there, as in it didnt crawl there, it upset a lot of people, it took me a while to track it down, like i said this was decades back.

Its the work of Artist Patricia Piccinini.

She has other stuff and some very jarring.

Yeah I saw that years ago on a google search. It's very well done, but I agree that it's also clearly a statue. Same with Mother Bird when you see the whole thing (even when you see a photo where it isn't flanked by grinning exhibition visitors) I think what helped selling Mother Bird to me was that they cropped the image to just the head and that also caused the background to look like somebody's run-down apartment, it looked more convincing to me.

As to which is more disturbing. Yeah the human dog (I think that's what it is) looks ugly, but it's also clearly harmless. She just wants to lie there and take care of her babies. Mother Bird (to me) had this facial expression of "menacing glee" where you get the feeling that, whatever she's so happy about, it probably will be painful, and possibly deadly, to you. 
Which is weird because the legend she's based on is not all that violent.

Piccini's sculptures kind of remind me of that "Man after Man" book by Dougal Dixon https://speculativeevolution.fandom.com/wiki/Man_After_Man:_An_Anthropology_of_the_Future

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1

Heres another,

images.jpg.b905074a4b4a6288a9860836494a915b.jpg

This was used with lots of creepypasta the most known that made up russian sleep deprivation experiment.

It bugged me because the creature looked so darn familiar,

OIP.ERLohOoVeBhkRbdQzwbWVgAAAA?w=193&h=3

I have an even less cropped version on my hd but in context of the creepypasta this thing took on a huge life of its own,

Then it dawned on my im a huge halloween fan i knew this prop, in person its not as creepy.

OIP.3iQ6mOzMgLFktFVL8zftfQAAAA?w=123&h=2

https://halloweenmanufacturer.fandom.com/wiki/Spazm

Now the fun part this props picture still to this day fools people.

• Like 1