Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman cut off her hand for insurance payout

Still Waters

A court in Slovenia on Friday sentenced a 22-year-old woman to two years in prison for deliberately cutting off her hand with a circular saw to make a fraudulent insurance claim.

The district court in Ljubljana said Julija Adlesic agreed with her boyfriend to have her left hand severed above the wrist at their home in the capital early in 2019. She was found guilty of attempted insurance fraud.

About a year earlier, she signed contracts with five different insurance companies, the court said. The woman stood to collect more than 1 million euros, about half paid immediately and the rest in regular monthly installments.

Her boyfriend was sentenced to three years in prison while his father received a one-year suspended sentence.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/slovenian-woman-cut-off-hand-insurance-payout-72946034

Video report:

https://news.sky.com/video/sloivenia-woman-cut-her-hand-off-with-circular-saw-in-insurance-fraud-12069147

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 6

I read that in our local media and I simply can't believe it. I mean, it happened, it was all proven, it's just that my brain can't process it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

WTF, that's a blatten case of insanity and irrationnal conjugal violence. At least, it seems they don't have kids...

But sometimes you need to cut your hand...

I-Mockery.com - The Greatest Horror Movie Moments!

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

WTF, that's a blatten case of insanity and irrationnal conjugal violence. At least, it seems they don't have kids...

But sometimes you need to cut your hand...

I-Mockery.com - The Greatest Horror Movie Moments!

My first thought exactly, there was that horror film where guy really had to do it but he had to and it was a horror film. 

Of course, since this is 2020, the reality had to be worse.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One thing I've learned from this curious tale:

If you want to perpetrate an insurance fraud, a circular saw comes in handy.

• Haha 3

Personally, I had rather be destitute and homeless...with both hands.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

She got two years, her boyfriend got three? Lol

Yea... guess she got a hand up on him.

• Haha 4

Many years ago I went on a training course to learn about the government workers' compensation scheme. The guy running the course briefly covered the issue of people attempting to defraud the scheme with bogus claims. One particular example involved a mechanical workshop where a remarkably large number of the staff had lost the little finger on their non-preferred hand. Naturally, to try to manage costs, the compo people were keen to investigate the matter to see whether it was bad equipment, poor management of the workshop, or fraud.

It turned out the staff had learned about how much compensation was payable for the loss of various body parts, and a bunch of them had agreed that the payout for the loss of a little finger was worth the pain and permanent disfigurement. So over the course of a few months these people sliced off their fingers, made the claims and pocketed the payouts.

The compo people knew what was going on, but with no proof there wasn't much they could do except warn the staff to be careful...until one of the de-fingered staff dobbed his mates in and provided the evidence.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Matt221 said:

After the court hearing the hand refused to comment on the matter

But it flipped the bird?

• Haha 1