Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA will pay up to $25,000 for lunar soil

UM-Bot

I don't see this becoming a moon-mining venture, lol. I mean, 25K for a sample that cost multi-millions to get...
This is more like throwing NASA a bone if you've already collected and returned to earth well over 500 grams of material for your own study.

That comes out to about $50 a gram. They must be out of their minds.

They clearly don't pay enough... some of them are already on the market and sell way more !

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/moon-rocks-auction-sothebys-intl/index.html

Maybe they just wan't new sample and the ones gifted by astronaut of the Apollo program or other missions don't count ? Even moon dust got stolen at NASA and got probably on the black market for the highest bidder...

Edited by Jon the frog

Out of interest, can anyone point to where it actually says that's the price NASA will pay?

I followed links from Bridenstine's tweet which eventually led to this government document and searched for "$25,000", but the references I found to that value always seemed to be related to something other than the price NASA would pay. As it's a 28 page long legal document perhaps someone might like to read it to confirm exactly what NASA is offering.