Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
kevinlea

Body spasm while asleep

28 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

kevinlea

Hi, has anyone ever experienced while you were asleep a body spasm type jerk that wakes you up, of course I am sure people have loads of reasons for it, but would like to know other people's opinions, I don't know if it's part of a dream state as either I don't dream much or in a state that I can remember any, but when I have had spasms I haven't remembered anything.

I have read them as Hypnogogic jerks but seems strange as usually that is when you are about to fall asleep not actually in deep sleep.

Edited by kevinlea
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

Might be sleep apnea.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
40 minutes ago, kevinlea said:

Hi, has anyone ever experienced while you were asleep a body spasm type jerk that wakes you up, of course I am sure people have loads of reasons for it, but would like to know other people's opinions, I don't know if it's part of a dream state as either I don't dream much or in a state that I can remember any, but when I have had spasms I haven't remembered anything.

I have read them as Hypnogogic jerks but seems strange as usually that is when you are about to fall asleep not actually in deep sleep.

When you fall asleep your subconscious takes over control of your motor functions and disables your consciousness from controlling your body. Hypnic jerks occur when the process isn`t synched properly. A lot of people experience them particularly when tired or stressed.

If you have had any weird experiences with aliens, shadow people, or other entities, please let us know all about it. I`m not convinced the current position in science really understands reality or sleep paralysis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HandsomeGorilla

XenoFish and acute offered the most reasonable explanations. Restless legs is a big culprit, though I'd recommend having a sleep study done. Are you overweight? Larger than average neck? Sensitive questions, maybe, but could be best for your health, in the long run. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jon the frog

My 8yr old son climb practically on the walls while sleeping, don't know how he stay asleep, but he does, lol ! We but a fence on his bed so we stop collecting him sleeping on the floor after falling ...

I woke up with freakin spasm when he was falling, it could be only noise too ! 

 

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HandsomeGorilla
1 minute ago, Jon the frog said:

My 8yr old son climb practically on the walls while sleeping, don't know how it stay asleep, but he does, lol ! We but a fence on his bed so we stop collecting him sleeping on the floor after falling ...

My parents did the same with me, put barriers around my crib because if not, I'd end up on the floor. Had bad night terrors as a kid and have been a chronic insomniac ever since. 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo

It's the devil poking your throat!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gwynbleidd

I have had what sounds like something similar.  I sometimes jerk awake is the only way I can describe it.  As if my entire body jerks and I wake up suddenly.  It doesn't happen all the time.  It has only happened when I'm just about to fall asleep and I must be in that semi conscious state.  The other times it has happened is in the middle of the night where I must be in the middle of a dream and I suddenly jerk awake, however I can't recall the dream or anything like that.  I just suspect it was a reaction to something in the dream.  I can only put it down to being really tired both physically and mentally when this happens.

Edited by Gwynbleidd
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quiXilver

I don't know what causes it...

but I know that it feels like my spirit awareness has been loaded in a sling shot and fired back into my body at high velocity...

Edited by quiXilver
changed a word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinlea
10 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

When you fall asleep your subconscious takes over control of your motor functions and disables your consciousness from controlling your body. Hypnic jerks occur when the process isn`t synched properly. A lot of people experience them particularly when tired or stressed.

If you have had any weird experiences with aliens, shadow people, or other entities, please let us know all about it. I`m not convinced the current position in science really understands reality or sleep paralysis.

I haven't had any experiences with aliens, if shadow people is if you think you see something in the corner of the eye then yes I do see them at times, not all the time, think last time was week ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinlea
10 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

XenoFish and acute offered the most reasonable explanations. Restless legs is a big culprit, though I'd recommend having a sleep study done. Are you overweight? Larger than average neck? Sensitive questions, maybe, but could be best for your health, in the long run. 

No I am not overweight, my neck is 15 inches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
1 minute ago, kevinlea said:

No I am not overweight, my neck is 15 inches.

Do you have allergies by chance?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo

It's normal being "jerked" awake, there's nothing weird about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
1 hour ago, kevinlea said:

I haven't had any experiences with aliens, if shadow people is if you think you see something in the corner of the eye then yes I do see them at times, not all the time, think last time was week ago.

So you have not seen one full on yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TashaMarie
15 hours ago, kevinlea said:

Hi, has anyone ever experienced while you were asleep a body spasm type jerk that wakes you up, of course I am sure people have loads of reasons for it, but would like to know other people's opinions, I don't know if it's part of a dream state as either I don't dream much or in a state that I can remember any, but when I have had spasms I haven't remembered anything.

I have read them as Hypnogogic jerks but seems strange as usually that is when you are about to fall asleep not actually in deep sleep.

I have at different points in my life woken with a start as it felt like I was falling of my bed.  When I woke I was nowhere near the edge.  These have all happened whilst a sleep not and like you I do not tend to remember my dream so am unable to see if the two are possibly linked.

As it has only happened sporadically and I am in good health I have never really worried about it.  If it was to become a frequent occurrence I would seek medical advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinlea
6 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

So you have not seen one full on yet?

No I haven't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76

I thought these threads weren’t allowed? The only permissible response is to go to the doctor?

Or is it just that no one is crying about this one?

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
44 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I thought these threads weren’t allowed? The only permissible response is to go to the doctor?

Or is it just that no one is crying about this one?

Well you're crying about it, so I guess that counts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saru
22 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I thought these threads weren’t allowed? The only permissible response is to go to the doctor?

Depends if the OP is describing a symptom that represents significant concern - hypnogogic jerks are a common, benign phenomenon.

It also depends on whether a potentially serious symptom (such as tingling in the chest) is being dismissed as "paranormal" - in such scenarios it can be dangerous to facilitate that belief over consulting with a medical professional. 

Personally, I don't want to be responsible for encouraging someone who may be about to have a heart attack to ignore their symptoms because someone else thinks they are evidence of astral projection.

If we think there's a potential danger to that person, we're going to tell them to see their doctor.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
7 minutes ago, Saru said:

Depends if the OP is describing a symptom that represents significant concern - hypnogogic jerks are a common, benign phenomenon.

It also depends on whether a potentially serious symptom (such as tingling in the chest) is being dismissed as "paranormal" - in such scenarios it can be dangerous to facilitate that belief over consulting with a medical professional. 

Personally, I don't want to be responsible for encouraging someone who may be about to have a heart attack to ignore their symptoms because someone else thinks they are evidence of astral projection.

If we think there's a potential danger to that person, we're going to tell them to see their doctor.

Its okay, thats not a symptom of a heart attack.

Its probably a posture issue or their lymph system draining which happens at night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
On 9/13/2020 at 2:35 PM, TashaMarie said:

I have at different points in my life woken with a start as it felt like I was falling of my bed.  When I woke I was nowhere near the edge.  These have all happened whilst a sleep not and like you I do not tend to remember my dream so am unable to see if the two are possibly linked.

As it has only happened sporadically and I am in good health I have never really worried about it.  If it was to become a frequent occurrence I would seek medical advice.

Thats your subconscious taking control of your motor neurons off your consciousness. You notice when it happens when you arent fully asleep. Its a common experience when someone has been sleeping poorly over previous nights, or your system has stimulants in it like caffeine.

The doctor wont be able to do anything except advice your on healthy sleep patterns and only having your stimulants in the morning so they have time to work their way out your system.

For me I would like to hear about any weird experiences such as poltergeist activity, seeing shadow entities, aliens, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TashaMarie
18 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Thats your subconscious taking control of your motor neurons off your consciousness. You notice when it happens when you arent fully asleep. Its a common experience when someone has been sleeping poorly over previous nights, or your system has stimulants in it like caffeine.

The doctor wont be able to do anything except advice your on healthy sleep patterns and only having your stimulants in the morning so they have time to work their way out your system.

For me I would like to hear about any weird experiences such as poltergeist activity, seeing shadow entities, aliens, etc.

No weird experiences, no encounters with aliens or poltergeist or anything along those lines.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
On 9/12/2020 at 6:20 PM, kevinlea said:

I have read them as Hypnogogic jerks but seems strange as usually that is when you are about to fall asleep not actually in deep sleep.

Occurrences of sleep myoclonus (also called hypnic myoclonus) aren't limited to sleep transitions; they can also occur during sleep as well.

https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Myoclonus-Fact-Sheet

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.