Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
kevinlea

Body spasm while asleep

kevinlea

Hi, has anyone ever experienced while you were asleep a body spasm type jerk that wakes you up, of course I am sure people have loads of reasons for it, but would like to know other people's opinions, I don't know if it's part of a dream state as either I don't dream much or in a state that I can remember any, but when I have had spasms I haven't remembered anything.

I have read them as Hypnogogic jerks but seems strange as usually that is when you are about to fall asleep not actually in deep sleep.

Edited by kevinlea
  • Like 1

XenoFish

Might be sleep apnea.

• Like 2

Cookie Monster
40 minutes ago, kevinlea said:

Hi, has anyone ever experienced while you were asleep a body spasm type jerk that wakes you up, of course I am sure people have loads of reasons for it, but would like to know other people's opinions, I don't know if it's part of a dream state as either I don't dream much or in a state that I can remember any, but when I have had spasms I haven't remembered anything.

I have read them as Hypnogogic jerks but seems strange as usually that is when you are about to fall asleep not actually in deep sleep.

When you fall asleep your subconscious takes over control of your motor functions and disables your consciousness from controlling your body. Hypnic jerks occur when the process isn`t synched properly. A lot of people experience them particularly when tired or stressed.

If you have had any weird experiences with aliens, shadow people, or other entities, please let us know all about it. I`m not convinced the current position in science really understands reality or sleep paralysis.

HandsomeGorilla

XenoFish and acute offered the most reasonable explanations. Restless legs is a big culprit, though I'd recommend having a sleep study done. Are you overweight? Larger than average neck? Sensitive questions, maybe, but could be best for your health, in the long run. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jon the frog

My 8yr old son climb practically on the walls while sleeping, don't know how he stay asleep, but he does, lol ! We but a fence on his bed so we stop collecting him sleeping on the floor after falling ...

I woke up with freakin spasm when he was falling, it could be only noise too ! 

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

HandsomeGorilla
1 minute ago, Jon the frog said:

My 8yr old son climb practically on the walls while sleeping, don't know how it stay asleep, but he does, lol ! We but a fence on his bed so we stop collecting him sleeping on the floor after falling ...

My parents did the same with me, put barriers around my crib because if not, I'd end up on the floor. Had bad night terrors as a kid and have been a chronic insomniac ever since. 

• Sad 2

seanjo

It's the devil poking your throat!

• Haha 1

Gwynbleidd

I have had what sounds like something similar.  I sometimes jerk awake is the only way I can describe it.  As if my entire body jerks and I wake up suddenly.  It doesn't happen all the time.  It has only happened when I'm just about to fall asleep and I must be in that semi conscious state.  The other times it has happened is in the middle of the night where I must be in the middle of a dream and I suddenly jerk awake, however I can't recall the dream or anything like that.  I just suspect it was a reaction to something in the dream.  I can only put it down to being really tired both physically and mentally when this happens.

Edited by Gwynbleidd
  • Like 1

quiXilver

I don't know what causes it...

but I know that it feels like my spirit awareness has been loaded in a sling shot and fired back into my body at high velocity...

Edited by quiXilver
changed a word

kevinlea
10 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

When you fall asleep your subconscious takes over control of your motor functions and disables your consciousness from controlling your body. Hypnic jerks occur when the process isn`t synched properly. A lot of people experience them particularly when tired or stressed.

If you have had any weird experiences with aliens, shadow people, or other entities, please let us know all about it. I`m not convinced the current position in science really understands reality or sleep paralysis.

I haven't had any experiences with aliens, if shadow people is if you think you see something in the corner of the eye then yes I do see them at times, not all the time, think last time was week ago.

kevinlea
10 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

XenoFish and acute offered the most reasonable explanations. Restless legs is a big culprit, though I'd recommend having a sleep study done. Are you overweight? Larger than average neck? Sensitive questions, maybe, but could be best for your health, in the long run. 

No I am not overweight, my neck is 15 inches.

XenoFish
1 minute ago, kevinlea said:

No I am not overweight, my neck is 15 inches.

Do you have allergies by chance?

• Like 1

XenoFish

Here's a list of causes for sleep apnea. The reason I suggested it was because I have to deal with it during allergy season as I have sinus issues.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sleep-apnea/symptoms-causes/syc-20377631

• Like 2

seanjo

It's normal being "jerked" awake, there's nothing weird about it.

Cookie Monster
1 hour ago, kevinlea said:

I haven't had any experiences with aliens, if shadow people is if you think you see something in the corner of the eye then yes I do see them at times, not all the time, think last time was week ago.

So you have not seen one full on yet?

TashaMarie
15 hours ago, kevinlea said:

I have at different points in my life woken with a start as it felt like I was falling of my bed.  When I woke I was nowhere near the edge.  These have all happened whilst a sleep not and like you I do not tend to remember my dream so am unable to see if the two are possibly linked.

As it has only happened sporadically and I am in good health I have never really worried about it.  If it was to become a frequent occurrence I would seek medical advice.

kevinlea
6 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

So you have not seen one full on yet?

No I haven't