Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Body spasm while asleep

kevinlea

Hi, has anyone ever experienced while you were asleep a body spasm type jerk that wakes you up, of course I am sure people have loads of reasons for it, but would like to know other people's opinions, I don't know if it's part of a dream state as either I don't dream much or in a state that I can remember any, but when I have had spasms I haven't remembered anything.

I have read them as Hypnogogic jerks but seems strange as usually that is when you are about to fall asleep not actually in deep sleep.

Edited by kevinlea
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, kevinlea said:

Hi, has anyone ever experienced while you were asleep a body spasm type jerk that wakes you up, of course I am sure people have loads of reasons for it, but would like to know other people's opinions, I don't know if it's part of a dream state as either I don't dream much or in a state that I can remember any, but when I have had spasms I haven't remembered anything.

I have read them as Hypnogogic jerks but seems strange as usually that is when you are about to fall asleep not actually in deep sleep.

When you fall asleep your subconscious takes over control of your motor functions and disables your consciousness from controlling your body. Hypnic jerks occur when the process isn`t synched properly. A lot of people experience them particularly when tired or stressed.

If you have had any weird experiences with aliens, shadow people, or other entities, please let us know all about it. I`m not convinced the current position in science really understands reality or sleep paralysis.

• Like 1

XenoFish and acute offered the most reasonable explanations. Restless legs is a big culprit, though I'd recommend having a sleep study done. Are you overweight? Larger than average neck? Sensitive questions, maybe, but could be best for your health, in the long run. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 8yr old son climb practically on the walls while sleeping, don't know how he stay asleep, but he does, lol ! We but a fence on his bed so we stop collecting him sleeping on the floor after falling ...

I woke up with freakin spasm when he was falling, it could be only noise too ! 

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jon the frog said:

My 8yr old son climb practically on the walls while sleeping, don't know how it stay asleep, but he does, lol ! We but a fence on his bed so we stop collecting him sleeping on the floor after falling ...

My parents did the same with me, put barriers around my crib because if not, I'd end up on the floor. Had bad night terrors as a kid and have been a chronic insomniac ever since. 

• Sad 2

I have had what sounds like something similar.  I sometimes jerk awake is the only way I can describe it.  As if my entire body jerks and I wake up suddenly.  It doesn't happen all the time.  It has only happened when I'm just about to fall asleep and I must be in that semi conscious state.  The other times it has happened is in the middle of the night where I must be in the middle of a dream and I suddenly jerk awake, however I can't recall the dream or anything like that.  I just suspect it was a reaction to something in the dream.  I can only put it down to being really tired both physically and mentally when this happens.

Edited by Gwynbleidd
  • Like 1

I don't know what causes it...

but I know that it feels like my spirit awareness has been loaded in a sling shot and fired back into my body at high velocity...

Edited by quiXilver
changed a word

10 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

When you fall asleep your subconscious takes over control of your motor functions and disables your consciousness from controlling your body. Hypnic jerks occur when the process isn`t synched properly. A lot of people experience them particularly when tired or stressed.

If you have had any weird experiences with aliens, shadow people, or other entities, please let us know all about it. I`m not convinced the current position in science really understands reality or sleep paralysis.

I haven't had any experiences with aliens, if shadow people is if you think you see something in the corner of the eye then yes I do see them at times, not all the time, think last time was week ago.

10 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

XenoFish and acute offered the most reasonable explanations. Restless legs is a big culprit, though I'd recommend having a sleep study done. Are you overweight? Larger than average neck? Sensitive questions, maybe, but could be best for your health, in the long run. 

No I am not overweight, my neck is 15 inches.

1 hour ago, kevinlea said:

I haven't had any experiences with aliens, if shadow people is if you think you see something in the corner of the eye then yes I do see them at times, not all the time, think last time was week ago.

So you have not seen one full on yet?

15 hours ago, kevinlea said:

I have at different points in my life woken with a start as it felt like I was falling of my bed.  When I woke I was nowhere near the edge.  These have all happened whilst a sleep not and like you I do not tend to remember my dream so am unable to see if the two are possibly linked.

As it has only happened sporadically and I am in good health I have never really worried about it.  If it was to become a frequent occurrence I would seek medical advice.

I thought these threads weren’t allowed? The only permissible response is to go to the doctor?

Or is it just that no one is crying about this one?

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I thought these threads weren’t allowed? The only permissible response is to go to the doctor?

Or is it just that no one is crying about this one?

Well you're crying about it, so I guess that counts.

22 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Depends if the OP is describing a symptom that represents significant concern - hypnogogic jerks are a common, benign phenomenon.

It also depends on whether a potentially serious symptom (such as tingling in the chest) is being dismissed as "paranormal" - in such scenarios it can be dangerous to facilitate that belief over consulting with a medical professional. 

Personally, I don't want to be responsible for encouraging someone who may be about to have a heart attack to ignore their symptoms because someone else thinks they are evidence of astral projection.

If we think there's a potential danger to that person, we're going to tell them to see their doctor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Saru said:

Depends if the OP is describing a symptom that represents significant concern - hypnogogic jerks are a common, benign phenomenon.

It also depends on whether a potentially serious symptom (such as tingling in the chest) is being dismissed as "paranormal" - in such scenarios it can be dangerous to facilitate that belief over consulting with a medical professional. 

Personally, I don't want to be responsible for encouraging someone who may be about to have a heart attack to ignore their symptoms because someone else thinks they are evidence of astral projection.

If we think there's a potential danger to that person, we're going to tell them to see their doctor.

Its okay, thats not a symptom of a heart attack.

Its probably a posture issue or their lymph system draining which happens at night.

On 9/13/2020 at 2:35 PM, TashaMarie said:

I have at different points in my life woken with a start as it felt like I was falling of my bed.  When I woke I was nowhere near the edge.  These have all happened whilst a sleep not and like you I do not tend to remember my dream so am unable to see if the two are possibly linked.

As it has only happened sporadically and I am in good health I have never really worried about it.  If it was to become a frequent occurrence I would seek medical advice.

Thats your subconscious taking control of your motor neurons off your consciousness. You notice when it happens when you arent fully asleep. Its a common experience when someone has been sleeping poorly over previous nights, or your system has stimulants in it like caffeine.

The doctor wont be able to do anything except advice your on healthy sleep patterns and only having your stimulants in the morning so they have time to work their way out your system.

For me I would like to hear about any weird experiences such as poltergeist activity, seeing shadow entities, aliens, etc.

18 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Thats your subconscious taking control of your motor neurons off your consciousness. You notice when it happens when you arent fully asleep. Its a common experience when someone has been sleeping poorly over previous nights, or your system has stimulants in it like caffeine.

The doctor wont be able to do anything except advice your on healthy sleep patterns and only having your stimulants in the morning so they have time to work their way out your system.

For me I would like to hear about any weird experiences such as poltergeist activity, seeing shadow entities, aliens, etc.

No weird experiences, no encounters with aliens or poltergeist or anything along those lines.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2020 at 6:20 PM, kevinlea said:

Occurrences of sleep myoclonus (also called hypnic myoclonus) aren't limited to sleep transitions; they can also occur during sleep as well.

https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Myoclonus-Fact-Sheet

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

First thing is to see a doctor. Then you know if what you have is considered a medical problem.
Anyone who comes onto a public forum and expects to hear advice over what an expert should be saying to them, needs their head examined.
After that visit to the doctor, one man/woman's forum opinion is as good as the next man/woman's opinion.

My opinion is that there is some similarities reported when people claim astral projection or out-of-body travel. They claim that everyone goes slightly out-of-phase with their physical body at nighttime so they can become 'recharged'. The claim is that you move a couple of inches out and just hang there floating most of the night, so when you feel this falling or jerk and then wake up, it is the astral body coming back into synchronisation with the physical body too fast - like some loud noise or a frightening dream event may have happened. The actual distance back to body and the distance felt falling is often very different.  Normally, this kind of thing happens calmly and gently at a slow speed, and then you wake up naturally.

As an example of this kind of thing, but not quite the same, I used to have dreams where I was chased and eventually I woke up with relief at not being caught. The 'thing' was nearly getting me, I woke up just in time. I used to get these fairly often but once I discovered it was my physical body brain realising and becoming aware of the returning astral body to my physical body, then it was nothing to worry about. Subsequently, all of these dreams stopped happening because my subconscious had an explanation. I know so many people will think this is a load of old cobblers, but - there it is, it works for me. I hope it helps someone.

On 9/13/2020 at 8:20 AM, kevinlea said:

Yep, I regularly have violent bouts. Magnesium seems to help a bit. People get quite a shock if I fall asleep in a chair at someone's place. 

I don't often wake, but I'm told my spasms are unnervingly violent.