Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Zealand big cat sightings stir debate

Eldorado

"The long-running debate over the presence of big cats in the South Island has been reignited after two new sightings.

"In the most recent case, a North Canterbury possum hunter has vowed never to go in the bush alone after encountering a wild “monstrous” cat.

"The mysterious animals – said to be similar to pumas or panthers – have been spotted in Canterbury, Otago and Marlborough for more than 50 years."

Full monty at Stuff magazine (NZ): Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5

I believe these cats are evolving into almost a separate species as they adapt to living in the wild in Oz and in this case NZ.They may not be true"big cats" but when does this classification change.They are big, and dangerous if cornered and I'm wondering how big they could actually get.I know a farmer who had 40 stitches from a huge feral cat that got trapped in his chicken shed.

• Like 3

Someone had a pet panther or puma, and s/he set it free, or it managed to get out of its cage.

• Like 3

On 9/13/2020 at 11:29 PM, Eldorado said:

"The long-running debate over the presence of big cats in the South Island has been reignited after two new sightings.

"In the most recent case, a North Canterbury possum hunter has vowed never to go in the bush alone after encountering a wild “monstrous” cat.

"The mysterious animals – said to be similar to pumas or panthers – have been spotted in Canterbury, Otago and Marlborough for more than 50 years."

Full monty at Stuff magazine (NZ): Link

We have had exceptionally large rabbit populations over the last 10 years. Plenty for a big cat or two to survive on. 

And the size of the are, essentially the top half of the South Island,  would suggest more than one.

On 9/17/2020 at 5:00 PM, openozy said:

I believe these cats are evolving into almost a separate species as they adapt to living in the wild in Oz and in this case NZ.They may not be true"big cats" but when does this classification change.They are big, and dangerous if cornered and I'm wondering how big they could actually get.I know a farmer who had 40 stitches from a huge feral cat that got trapped in his chicken shed.

I live about 55 miles northeast of Dallas, TX.  They say we don't have big cats up here.  We do.  A friend of mine 12 miles away had a horse attacked while in the barn.  It survived but only after the vet put in 100s of stitches.  Then his neighbor actually shot the big cat.   When I say big I am talking about 'lion'!   He showed me a photo his friends wife took of him and the cat.  It was a Mountain Lion.  A real honest to god Mountain Lion.  This thing looked like lions you see on the Plant Earth movies about the Serengeti.   

This happened after a lot of rain and the flooding farm lands pushed the big cats into the populated areas.   The land where the giant electical towers shoot off across the tundra is a game sanctuary and there is no hunting.  Apparently they live down there...unless floods happen.   

And one night I heard a panther scream from the woods.  It was frightening for sure.

• Like 6

On 9/17/2020 at 5:00 PM, openozy said:

I agree. Hogs have genes that become expressed when released into the wild. They start changing into feral hogs. I suspect other animals including cats have a genetic compliment that allows them to express feral characteristics.

Now, after saying this, mountain lions were thought to be hunted out of Arkansas, Texas, and Louisiana for the last 70 years. Within the last 10 years each states game and fish has had to admit that mountain lions still exist in these states. The same thing with black panthers in the area south of monterrey Mx. recently the government has been forced to admit they still exist in the wild there.

so.... who knows? I guess.

• Like 3

On 9/18/2020 at 8:00 AM, openozy said:

I'm sure there's a member of this site that could answer you.  However, Domestic Cats are Wildcats.  Some of the closely related species can grow to three feet in height.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat

FWIW, panthers are the group of big four cats with vocal chords.  They can all roar.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Nobu said:

agree. Hogs have genes that become expressed when released into the wild. They start changing into feral hogs.

I used to do a bit of pig hunting here in Oz,you are not wrong,I thought it took a few generations but even domestic pigs that escape develop bigger tusks and more hair themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

When I say big I am talking about 'lion'!   He showed me a photo his friends wife took of him and the cat.  It was a Mountain Lion.  A real honest to god Mountain Lion.  This thing looked like lions you see on the Plant Earth movies about the Serengeti.   

I didn't know they got that big,that's a scary animal.I've had an encounter with a puma here in Oz in the Blue Mountains near Sydney.It wasn't a feral cat,tawny colour, big feet and thick tail but nothing like what you describe.It came around at dusk when we were camping,probably smelling the cooking lamb chops.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, openozy said:

I didn't know they got that big,that's a scary animal.I've had an encounter with a puma here in Oz in the Blue Mountains near Sydney.It wasn't a feral cat,tawny colour, big feet and thick tail but nothing like what you describe.It came around at dusk when we were camping,probably smelling the cooking lamb chops.

Its size (total length) ranges from about 6 1/2 feet in females to as much as 8 1/2 feet in males. Male cougars weigh between 100–150 pounds, and females weigh between 45–96 pounds.  Link

The one he killed must have been a male. Or...it could have been an actual Lion from the Serengeti.  Everything is for sale and some people buy exotic cats as cubs and then don't know what to do with them so they let them go or escape.  Wallah...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, joc said:

Its size (total length) ranges from about 6 1/2 feet in females to as much as 8 1/2 feet in males. Male cougars weigh between 100–150 pounds, and females weigh between 45–96 pounds.  Link

The one he killed must have been a male. Or...it could have been an actual Lion from the Serengeti.  Everything is for sale and some people buy exotic cats as cubs and then don't know what to do with them so they let them go or escape.  Wallah...

Some animals get a lot bigger than they say,I've seen black snakes over double the average size,also a huge goanna and a wedge-tailed eagle with a half grown goat in a tree that was massive.

• Like 2

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=343#:~:text=Eagles weigh 8 to 12 pounds and,can carry about three or four pounds.

https://australian.museum/learn/animals/birds/wedge-tailed-eagle/

20 hours ago, joc said:

I live about 55 miles northeast of Dallas, TX.  They say we don't have big cats up here.  We do.  A friend of mine 12 miles away had a horse attacked while in the barn.  It survived but only after the vet put in 100s of stitches.  Then his neighbor actually shot the big cat.   When I say big I am talking about 'lion'!   He showed me a photo his friends wife took of him and the cat.  It was a Mountain Lion.  A real honest to god Mountain Lion.  This thing looked like lions you see on the Plant Earth movies about the Serengeti.   

This happened after a lot of rain and the flooding farm lands pushed the big cats into the populated areas.   The land where the giant electical towers shoot off across the tundra is a game sanctuary and there is no hunting.  Apparently they live down there...unless floods happen.   

And one night I heard a panther scream from the woods.  It was frightening for sure.

So, would you guess had a human been around would the cat had attacked them like it did the horse, thats scary.

Edited by the13bats

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

It is scary.  The horse was in the barn.  I can only imagine if my friend had been in the barn...wrong place, wrong time!   I have heard of several stories of bicyclists in California being attacked by Cougars as they road by.   I'm probably just paranoid but, whenever I go out in the woods, I at least carry my 22 semi-automatic.  I'm really more concerned about the wild hogs than I am the Cougars because I see them often...not in the woods but on the road, both as road kill and as roaming herds.   Not long ago someone shot two feral hogs right in the woods behind my house.                         

• Like 3

3 hours ago, openozy said:

Some animals get a lot bigger than they say,I've seen black snakes over double the average size,also a huge goanna and a wedge-tailed eagle with a half grown goat in a tree that was massive.

True.  My Yellow Lab is 108 pounds.  She's huge for a lab.  I was totally shocked at how big the cat was.  I remember many years ago a friend of my best friend showed up at his house with a Jaguar cub.  Cutest thing I've ever seen.  Clumsy and awkward and just absolutely precious.  Guess what became of that darling?  Your guess is as good as mine.

• Like 1

My dad passed at 89 in 2014 he was for years a hunter, he said the feral pigs were the ones he hated to come across the worse, he said without warning even a small one might come darting out at you, no fear and use a tusk to slice your leg before you knew just how badly cut you were,

He said here in florida the wild pigs were a mix of domestic and wild hogs, razor backs some Russian pig and something he called "piney rooters" no conection to the Indian with a chainsaw here,

Wild pigs are bad here, the dumps and land fills full of them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joc said:

True.  My Yellow Lab is 108 pounds.  She's huge for a lab.

That is huge for a lab,more Great Dane weight.

6 hours ago, the13bats said:

My dad passed at 89 in 2014 he was for years a hunter, he said the feral pigs were the ones he hated to come across the worse, he said without warning even a small one might come darting out at you, no fear and use a tusk to slice your leg before you knew just how badly cut you were,

He said here in florida the wild pigs were a mix of domestic and wild hogs, razor backs some Russian pig and something he called "piney rooters" no conection to the Indian with a chainsaw here,

Wild pigs are bad here, the dumps and land fills full of them.

They are pretty dangerous,I reckon if you were injured out bush and immobile they would come around and seeing your vulnerable state would eat you alive for sure.We are lucky they never imported the European wild boar here to Oz,the feral domestic pigs are bad enough.Did your dad call them piney rooters because a lot of pigs are found in pine plantations?they are over here anyway.

3 hours ago, openozy said:

That is huge for a lab,more Great Dane weight.

425402475_Jazzonwaytovet.jpg.4488c3ac43141be578792d6807c5f045.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, openozy said:

.Did your dad call them piney rooters because a lot of pigs are found in pine plantations?they are over here anyway.

I really dont know, my dad was raised in Arkansas and lived various US states and after military settled in Jacksonville fl, for all i know dad made up "piney rooter"

Its not uncommon to see pigs hogs what have you on the road side here, a while back there was a small whitish one, about beagle size tina thinks its a pet or farm pig makes me go back, she hops out heading at it, and it freaks out starts to run away changes its mind chases her to the car, it had tusks and the back bristles but wasnt very big.

• Like 1

i used to have a mate who lived not far from me who swore he had a leopard living in his woodland behind the farm,i used to wonder that land all times of day and night and never saw or heard nothing but sure enough he shot a massive and i mean massive black cat  it was bluddy huge

• Like 1

it had tusks and the back bristles but wasnt very big.

Those little boars are the worst when your catching them with dogs,very agile and quick with their tusks.

11 minutes ago, openozy said:

Those little boars are the worst when your catching them with dogs,very agile and quick with their tusks.

Scared tina bsck to the car, it was a bold lil badass,

So heres a question, these hogs like here taking over land fills and dumps, do they make good bbq for people into that?

Scared tina bsck to the car, it was a bold lil badass,

So heres a question, these hogs like here taking over land fills and dumps, do they make good bbq for people into that?

You can eat them but have to be careful to cook the meat through as can be infested with parasites.It is stronger and gamier than farmed pork.My mrs used to hunt pigs and run a chiller for a living and the rankest old boars went to Germany as a delicacy.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, openozy said:

You can eat them but have to be careful to cook the meat through as can be infested with parasites.It is stronger and gamier than farmed pork.My mrs used to hunt pigs and run a chiller for a living and the rankest old boars went to Germany as a delicacy.

I dont eat much pig, just not my fav, i like fish more,  i hope pig hunting paid good.

I guess i pictured the landfill guys having BBQs

• Like 1