Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wuthering Heights house for sale at £1m

Still Waters

A scratching on a window pane, the fingers of a small ice-cold hand, a melancholy voice begging to be let in. The appearance of Cathy’s ghost at the start of Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights is familiar to millions of readers and devotees of the 19th-century literary sisters. Now the house that is believed to have inspired the scene at the window is up for sale, although enthusiasts will need to find £1m for this piece of Brontë heritage.

The owners of Ponden Hall – a Grade II* listed property in Stanbury, near Haworth in West Yorkshire, and a thriving B&B – are retiring and downsizing more than 20 years after taking on the then-dilapidated house and carefully restoring it. The hall was owned by the Heaton family, who were trustees of Haworth parish church where Patrick Brontë, the sisters’ father, became vicar in 1820.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/sep/13/wuthering-heights-house-for-sale-at-1m-emily-bronte-ponden-hall

Inside the £1m 'Wuthering Heights' home

The house is believed to have provided inspiration for Wuthering Heights and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/gallery/inside-1m-wuthering-heights-home-18919567

• Like 3

Saw the title and Kate Bush's song started playing in my head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

" is believed to have     provided the inspiratation for.. "

It's not like  Kate Bush... umm.. I mean.. Emilyl Bronte... actually even WENT there. 

I kinda imagined the Heights to be a lot less grand and I believe the story implies that as well. Cathy and her family lead a rather rustic lifestyle, sitting and dining with the (few) servants at the hearth and such, as opposed to the Grange with its grand rooms and extended gardens and all.

Myself, I pictured a Georgian manor house, dilapidated, to which the years had not been kind,  gray beginning to show through neglected paint and missing bricks and stones, here and there and with sagging eaves. It's aspect, a reflection of the countenance of it's dour master, Heathcliff.