Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Perpetual uncertainty

Peter B

A few months ago, as the COVID-19 deaths mounted in the USA, I reflected on the reaction of the American people in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks - cold fury and an absolute determination to punish those responsible and those harbouring them. Around 3000 people were killed, 25,000 people were injured, and billions of dollars of damage caused in the 9/11 attacks and all Americans wanted their revenge.

But as I reflected on that I was baffled at the comparative lack of determination to deal with COVID-19, which has now killed more than 60 times as many people as 9/11 and infected more than 250 times as many people as were injured on 9/11.

As it happened my thoughts didn't go any further than that observation. But in making the same comparison I did, this article dives into the implications and consequences, and draws a despondent conclusion...

Something about the deaths, the powerlessness — the seven months of limbo — left us dangerously susceptible to magical thinking...

The last method of magical thinking...comes from those Americans who believe the virus is real. Those who understand it isn't going away soon.

A number of these Americans, powerless to change anything, are acclimating to what they believe is just a new normal.

They are complacent. They are numb. They have spent so long in the chronic emergency that their 'surge capacity' — the ability to cope with life-altering disasters — is depleted.

Struggling with prolonged uncertainty, they are starting to move on mentally, pushing the virus so far to the periphery that it becomes nothing more than ambient noise.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

There has been a determined (and successful) campaign to downplay the virus here in the US that has increased both the casualties and the economic damage.  There are people who honestly believe that it is a hoax, no worse than the flu, only killed a few thousand, is politically motivated, etc.

Honestly, if I were Al Qaeda today, I would be doing exactly what Qanon and Trump has been doing to harm America and it's people in regards to this virus.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We can compare apples to oranges if one desires but im not really on board to compare a terrorist attack to covid on the other hand i saw some of the things the op observed from perhaps a different view.

9/11 we had a far more professinal stately person as potus and both sides and everyone in between was p***ed off at the terrorists, it wasnt used as a tool to placate one mans huge fragile ego, the response to 9/11 wasnt an epic fail and the whole thing drew americans regardless of party closer.

Not the same with covid right from the start trump has responded very "deer in headlights" or like a squirrel that runs in front of a car then goes back and forth not knowing what to do, it wasnt a person who attacked, its not personal and china might have been clumsy but they didnt release covid on the world as a mass terrorist attack. So no terrorists to focus on, just a virus.

With trump hes not a stately honorable man  up to the title potus, hes used covid like all hurdles on his plate that he has blundered , something to blame others for and to pour undeserved praise on himself, he used covid to divide parties and people not caring at all his lack luster imcompatant response cost lives

His worshippers are blind to his failures but it did serve to divide parties and people, so in that i see 9/11 and covid as very different creatures.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gromdor said:

There has been a determined (and successful) campaign to downplay the virus here in the US that has increased both the casualties and the economic damage.  There are people who honestly believe that it is a hoax, no worse than the flu, only killed a few thousand, is politically motivated, etc.

Honestly, if I were Al Qaeda today, I would be doing exactly what Qanon and Trump has been doing to harm America and it's people in regards to this virus.

The irony is, it is more than likely Trump voters who view this as a hoax and refuse to wear mask and possibly die before the elections helping Biden in the long run. Tens of thousand of Trump voters dead.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Can anyone hand on their heart honestly say they ever thought they’d read something like that said about “Dubya” and agree?

Never thought I'd say something like that about W, but yeah, I agree. Trump is a bumbling bully. Not Presidential at all.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Can anyone hand on their heart honestly say they ever thought they’d read something like that said about “Dubya” and agree?

Not brilliant, but professional and stately I guess.  Our wandering into Iraq looking for someone to blame was misguided.  On the positive side he did not try to divide and incapacitate the nation.  I guess we are better with a tangible evil enemy to hate and focus our energy on rather than something as tenuous as a virus.  

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I was thinking the same as i typed it,

I wasnt suggesting dubya was epic just rather head and shoulder better potus that trump,

Trump was the first potus to have this type pandemic on his plate in what over 100 years?

So if it was "just" a case him being misguided but trying hard being humble and placing real science and experts over his own ego and agenda i could cut him a hair more slack, that option was over for me when he just bumbled on top of fail one after another never learning from it just blaming others and costing lives.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peter B said:

A few months ago, as the COVID-19 deaths mounted in the USA, I reflected on the reaction of the American people in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks - cold fury and an absolute determination to punish those responsible and those harbouring them. Around 3000 people were killed, 25,000 people were injured, and billions of dollars of damage caused in the 9/11 attacks and all Americans wanted their revenge.

But as I reflected on that I was baffled at the comparative lack of determination to deal with COVID-19, which has now killed more than 60 times as many people as 9/11 and infected more than 250 times as many people as were injured on 9/11.

As it happened my thoughts didn't go any further than that observation. But in making the same comparison I did, this article dives into the implications and consequences, and draws a despondent conclusion...

Not such a difficult concept to grasp.  We also don't come together to go to war against Influenza, either. How, exactly, does one go to war against a VIRUS?  Take the politics out of C-19 and one realizes that we are being manipulated.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, South Alabam said:

Trump is a bumbling bully. Not Presidential at all.

The sweetest irony in watching Democrats melting down over Trump, is that Obama is the one who ASSURED a victory against his policies.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, and then said:

Not such a difficult concept to grasp.  We also don't come together to go to war against Influenza, either. How, exactly, does one go to war against a VIRUS?  Take the politics out of C-19 and one realizes that we are being manipulated.

You wear a mask, you keep your distance from others, you keep yourself healthy, you don’t congregate in large crowds, you work from home if you can.... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You wear a mask, you keep your distance from others, you keep yourself healthy, you don’t congregate in large crowds, you work from home if you can.... 

Gosh, where did you come up with such an extensive list so fast? You are a true visionary!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, and then said:

is that Obama is the one who ASSURED a victory against his policies.

Behaviors or policies?  Which policies in particular?   And by the way,it appears the President is getting a little frayed around the edges too.  But he should feel better when he gets to be really "vicious".  A great stress reliever I am sure, but maybe not a way to win undecideds.  I guess we will see.  If he wins, maybe your stress level will go down anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Setton said:

Gosh, where did you come up with such an extensive list so fast? You are a true visionary!

With flu you can even get a vaccination that helps a bit.  Maybe we develop one for covid that only the sheep will take.  That way the manly free types can refuse a vaccine, go mask-less, and assemble in large tightly packed shouting groups.   It will be a great test on whether this is a fake pandemic or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

With flu you can even get a vaccination that helps a bit.  Maybe we develop one for covid that only the sheep will take.  That way the manly free types can refuse a vaccine, go mask-less, and assemble in large tightly packed shouting groups.   It will be a great test on whether this is a fake pandemic or not.

Can't wait to see all the conspiracy nuts on here constantly protesting the heinous infringement on their god-given rights* madly scrambling for a vaccine when it comes out.

*To be a knob.

Edited by Setton
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Setton said:

Same place I pull most things ;)

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

What a coincidence.

That's exactly how you go to war against a free and independent society, too.

• Confused 3

13 minutes ago, Setton said:

And that covers off the thorough hand-washing!

EXACTLY!

2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

The irony is, it is more than likely Trump voters who view this as a hoax and refuse to wear mask and possibly die before the elections helping Biden in the long run. Tens of thousand of Trump voters dead.

Well, hum, in 2016 the orange god and master babbled out...

vote for me before you die...jk...not really joking.

1 hour ago, and then said:

The sweetest irony in watching Democrats melting down over Trump, is that Obama is the one who ASSURED a victory against his policies.

In too ignorant on politics to know what your raving about with Obama, but getting back into the present,

I have to disagree with you about dems melting down over trump, in fact what ive seen on here its the trump worshippers who are getting pretty frazzled, they are way reaching and grasping at straws, stirring civil discontent. Racial tendions and doing their best to devide americans with hate at the same time trying to of course blame others and go ad hominem,

oh and the trumpettes battle cry "hater you have tds" is spewed more and more, now that song is old boring and never made the top 40 to start with.

Im speculating all the deeper furor from trumps base is from the fact even they see him failing and falling, i do admit concerns about his worshippers stability when, ahem if he looses in nov that will put a lot of stress on structures not up to code in the first place, so yeah, like you said meltdowns.

Edited by the13bats

As we gradually accept the 'new norm' of our generation we will just have to learn to adapt to a new era.  It may mean that we become de-sensitized to other major events that now seem trivial in comparison, but just like times of war, we carry on and soldier on.  Adapting to change of circumstance becomes natural over long exposure.  We all just have to get used to the current transition and think positive.

The alternative is this - Set in the near the future.

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Confused 1

Why are so many worried about Trump not being 'presidential' being more Obama or Clinton like

Hes getting things done whats so wrong about that?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

He has the appearance of getting things done.

Magician now

3 hours ago, Aroundthecorner said:

Why are so many worried about Trump not being 'presidential' being more Obama or Clinton like

Hes getting things done whats so wrong about that?

The things he's getting done are the wrong things.

Napoleon, Cromwell, Stalin, Hitler, Kim Il-Sung - they also 'got things done'. And ultimately ruined their countries

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1