Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

editing

HiddenHorn

I'll keep this short: From other forums I am used to being always able to edit my posts - that's great to both fix embarrassing spelling errors, or to update things, now that doesn't seem to be possible here, at least for me. For example I was able to edit a thread I started once right after opening it, but never since. What are the rules here? Is it that you can edit everything only once, is there a cooldown involved, or do you simply get more freedom in this matter as you rank up in the form?

12 minutes ago, HiddenHorn said:

I'll keep this short: From other forums I am used to being always able to edit my posts - that's great to both fix embarrassing spelling errors, or to update things, now that doesn't seem to be possible here, at least for me. For example I was able to edit a thread I started once right after opening it, but never since. What are the rules here? Is it that you can edit everything only once, is there a cooldown involved, or do you simply get more freedom in this matter as you rank up in the form?

Hi there @HiddenHorn

So far as I am aware, a post can be edited right up to the point where somebody responds to it ? (e.g. posts another thread after it), at which point it can't be edited. (presumably to prevent posters 're-writing history'.). However, I'm not 100% sure about this ? 

There seems to be another rule behind it, because I seem to still be able to edit my original post here, despite the fact that you both replied to - and even quoted it.

Hmm... you're right. I'm not really sure in that case ? I know that after a while, I can't edit MY posts either ? But I'm not sure where the cutoff is ? 

I think there's a time limit. Sometimes when I return to a post form a few hours ago and want to correct grammar/spelling errors it won't let me edit it anymore, no matter if the post/thread was replied to or not.

Edited by Orphalesion

You can edit a post up to an hour after it has been submitted.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Saru said:

You can edit a post up to an hour after it has been submitted.

Thanks for that @Saru :)

• Like 1

I edit a lot because as I'm researching something I'll find a new link I want to add to a post or another thought in a post I already made instead of making a new one. Sometimes I get a message saying the post can no longer be edited even though I just posted it. But as long as the edit option is still there I can go out and the second time it will go through.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1