Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Britain to get its first 'migrant camp'

Eldorado

People who have crossed the Channel in small boats are to be housed in former military barracks while their asylum claims are processed, it has emerged.

Around 400 people including families are to be housed in temporary accommodation at Napier barracks near Folkestone, Kent, from 21 September, the local Conservative MP Damian Collins said.

Formerly part of Shorncliffe army camp, Napier was one of five barracks at the site in 2011, alongside Burgoyne, Sir John Moore, Risborough and Somerset.

Full story at the Guardian UK: Link

Local Gov statement: Link

"Army barracks to become UK’s first ‘migrant camp’ following surge in Channel crossings, despite complaints from MPs"

At the paywalled Telegraph UK: Link

UK Metro: Link

Edited by Eldorado
add links
  • Like 3

seanjo

Not new.

keithisco

Just wondering why similar accommodations cant be made for our homeless veterans forced to live on the street?

• Like 2

seanjo
1 hour ago, keithisco said:

Just wondering why similar accommodations cant be made for our homeless veterans forced to live on the street?

Some don't want it, some are given accommodation and abuse it. I know someone that I used to work with in the 80's on a Harrier Squadron that was given a job and a place to live by a friend but, because of his drug habit, he stole everything he could in one night and did a runner to buy drugs. My friend didn't press charges because, well, camaraderie...

I also know some that have received accommodation through the various organisations, RBL, RAFA etc. and have thrived.

• Like 2

Cookie Monster
48 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Some don't want it, some are given accommodation and abuse it. I know someone that I used to work with in the 80's on a Harrier Squadron that was given a job and a place to live by a friend but, because of his drug habit, he stole everything he could in one night and did a runner to buy drugs. My friend didn't press charges because, well, camaraderie...

I also know some that have received accommodation through the various organisations, RBL, RAFA etc. and have thrived.

Sheltered accommodation doesnt tolerate them if they are drunk, on drugs, or have a pet with them such as a dog. They loose their places. Its hard for someone to slip through the net and end up back on the streets unless they themselves do something to cost themselves their placement.

• Like 3

itsnotoutthere
3 hours ago, keithisco said:

Wrong colour...obvs.

More to the point, why aren't the authorities intercepting them mid channel & towing them back to France?

The longer this is encouraged the worse it will get. Has anybody on the French side of the channel been investigated over any deaths so far?

Has any of the French authorities tracked down the people supplying the boats and life jackets...it really can't be that hard. Or as I suspect is this actually being given a helping hand by the French authorities? God France must be a real hell hole.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 4