Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

American journalism getting worse

Vorg

I saw this article, and the headline caught me. It is obviously incorrect and seems to be a trend of online articles I read. Horrible lack of edit, misspellings, or correction or whatever they are doing, they seem to lack writing skills.

I am posting the headline with a link, not because of the article itself, but just to show how bad the headline is.

Trump Stoked Police Violence, and It Cost May Have Him the Election      :D

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/trump-stoked-police-violence-and-it-cost-may-have-him-the-election/ar-BB198M0N?ocid=msedgdhp

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, South Alabam said:

I saw this article, and the headline caught me. It is obviously incorrect and seems to be a trend of online articles I read. Horrible lack of edit, misspellings, or correction or whatever they are doing, they seem to lack writing skills.

I am posting the headline with a link, not because of the article itself, but just to show how bad the headline is.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/trump-stoked-police-violence-and-it-cost-may-have-him-the-election/ar-BB198M0N?ocid=msedgdhp

Some times the editor is the one that causes some bad language and improper punctuation by chopping stories to fit the space.  In the 80's there was a midwestern newspaper that had a front page article about how the city was finally out of debt.  The writer set the headline a "The city is finally in the black" and the editor changed the word black to "african american"   :lol:  

I agree literacy is going down hill and the most obvious place to notice it is in the news.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Related...

The 2016 Election and the Demise of Journalistic Standards

Hillsdale College: Link

Nice article, thanks. And I agree with what he wrote. And a few years ago was when I noticed the decline. I cannot really say I could pinpoint a year, but I'll take his word for it.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Nice article, thanks. And I agree with what he wrote. And a few years ago was when I noticed the decline. I cannot really say I could pinpoint a year, but I'll take his word for it.

I actually think it was 30 years before the 2016 election.  I quit watching the news and only occasionally read the newspapers because I found it was biased, emotionally charges B***  I had too  much stress in my life and that was one stressor I could control so I quit and have not regretted it.  I am as "in the know" about what is going on as anyone and more so because I pay attention to what is going on in my area, which is one thing putting constant attention on the media news keeps you out of the loop of what is going on around you, which should matter more than what is going on in some country 2 continents away.  And politics in the news is always an emotional trap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I actually think it was 30 years before the 2016 election.  I quit watching the news and only occasionally read the newspapers because I found it was biased, emotionally charges B***  I had too  much stress in my life and that was one stressor I could control so I quit and have not regretted it.  I am as "in the know" about what is going on as anyone and more so because I pay attention to what is going on in my area, which is one thing putting constant attention on the media news keeps you out of the loop of what is going on around you, which should matter more than what is going on in some country 2 continents away.  And politics in the news is always an emotional trap.

You just plagarized my thoughts.  I am accusing you of Thought Plagarism...wait...oh man...I forgot you are a 'seer'...well...you saw that one correctly. :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, South Alabam said:

At least they're still giving the major issues appropriate covfefe.

• Haha 4

I do scan google news but i fact check and come here for the real deal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I do scan google news but i fact check and come here for the real deal.

I don't even  do that...I simply ignore anything they say.  It doesn't concern me, why should I know about it?  I have no power to change anything except my own little world...and scanning eventually 'hooks' you in which is exactly what they are trying to do to begin with.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Setton said:

At least they're still giving the major issues appropriate covfefe.

The press chose not to give any covfefe however, when  the Bamster said, Navy Corpse-men, instead of Navy Corpsmen (Core men).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

From the article:

If Joe Biden maintains the eerily stable lead he has built in the presidential campaign, Republicans will say it was the coronavirus that ended Donald Trump’s chances of winning a second term. The pandemic (or, to be precise, Trump’s shambolic response thereto) certainly hurt. But there is an equally strong — or even stronger — case, that Trump has been done in by a wave of police violence that he not only has failed to restrain, but hasn’t even tried.

This isn't even journalism.  It is the opinion of someone who is extremely biased against Donald Trump.  It's idiocy...not journalism.

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Right, the media has to always get everything right all the time or they're all lying scumbags. But the leader of the free world can say **** that's easily disproved, has been discredited, or is outright just a lie, along with **** like Covefe, and you line up for second helpings. 

7 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Right, the media has to always get everything right all the time or they're all lying scumbags. But the leader of the free world can say **** that's easily disproved, has been discredited, or is outright just a lie, along with **** like Covefe, and you line up for second helpings. 

Who lines up?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, joc said:

From the article:

If Joe Biden maintains the eerily stable lead he has built in the presidential campaign, Republicans will say it was the coronavirus that ended Donald Trump’s chances of winning a second term. The pandemic (or, to be precise, Trump’s shambolic response thereto) certainly hurt. But there is an equally strong — or even stronger — case, that Trump has been done in by a wave of police violence that he not only has failed to restrain, but hasn’t even tried.

This isn't even journalism.  It is the opinion of someone who is extremely biased against Donald Trump.  It's idiocy...not journalism.

image.png

No doubt, but it's from the New York magazine. Regardless of political leaning they must really suck at editing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Autochthon1990 said:

My very first post I wrote: not because of the article itself, but just to show how bad the headline is.

This had nothing to do with Trump. It was just an example I wanted people to see of the horrible journalistic skills I see, two or three times a week.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

No doubt, but it's from the New York magazine. Regardless of political leaning they must really suck at editing.

Oh absolutely.  I mean, it kills me to write even something on here or in a text if it isn't 'just right'.  I cannot post something without proofreading over and over and then almost always...I still have to edit something that wasn't right.  A mispelling...word processing that got mixed up, etc.  

But yeah, these people just throw something out there and get a paycheck...doesn't matter if it's a horrible piece of writing or not.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, joc said:

Oh absolutely.  I mean, it kills me to write even something on here or in a text if it isn't 'just right'.  I cannot post something without proofreading over and over and then almost always...I still have to edit something that wasn't right.  A mispelling...word processing that got mixed up, etc.  

But yeah, these people just throw something out there and get a paycheck...doesn't matter if it's a horrible piece of writing or not.

But what would be the quality of your posts if you didn't have the time to proofread it over and over and still find something to edit?

I'm sure there are many journalists who'd love to have the time you devote to your posts.

The problem isn't the 2016 election, as that article linked in Eldorado's post #3 suggests. It's been going on for at least the last 20 years as advertising revenue has been lost to the Internet, causing media companies of all stripes to massively reduce their staff. Remember, this is not something unique to the USA - it's happening all around the world - and it's not restricted to liberal media companies.

As for the journalists, they're not throwing something out there to get a paycheque, they're churning out stories because that's all they have time for. And if they can't meet the speed expected of them, well, there are journalism students who'd leap at the chance to take their job.

I notice the same effect with our local newspaper. They average about one howler an edition, more or less. The worst example I remember was an entire article which was printed twice in the same edition, about five pages apart. Another slightly funnier example was the reference to a basketball player's tattoo going from her rib cage to her "waste"...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Related...

The 2016 Election and the Demise of Journalistic Standards

Hillsdale College: Link

That was a VERY interesting article @Eldorado. Thanks for posting it. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Peter B said:

But what would be the quality of your posts if you didn't have the time to proofread it over and over and still find something to edit?

I'm sure there are many journalists who'd love to have the time you devote to your posts.

That is so ridiculous Peter.  Why do you make excuses for incompetent journalism?

You MAKE the time.  You TAKE the time.  I don't have the time to proofread... is complete BS.   It doesn't have anything to do with 'time'.  It has to do with the work ethic or lack there of with regard to the 'journalist'.

Can you do journalism without errors?  Yes I can!   How are you going to do it?  I am going to proofread my work before I send it to print.  I am going to MAKE the time.  

Can you do journalism without errors?  No, I can't.  Why not?  Because I just don't have the time to proofread.  Because my dog ate my homework.  Because I am so tired.  Because my Aunt Melba's dog was sick and kept me up all night crying  and throwing up.

Success requires no explanation.

Failure permits no alibis.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have brought peace to the world by killing everyone who isn't me!

21 minutes ago, joc said:

Success requires no explanation

What a ridiculous notion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joc said:

That is so ridiculous Peter.  Why do you make excuses for incompetent journalism?

You MAKE the time.  You TAKE the time.  I don't have the time to proofread... is complete BS.   It doesn't have anything to do with 'time'.  It has to do with the work ethic or lack there of with regard to the 'journalist'.

Can you do journalism without errors?  Yes I can!   How are you going to do it?  I am going to proofread my work before I send it to print.  I am going to MAKE the time.  

Can you do journalism without errors?  No, I can't.  Why not?  Because I just don't have the time to proofread.  Because my dog ate my homework.  Because I am so tired.  Because my Aunt Melba's dog was sick and kept me up all night crying  and throwing up.

Success requires no explanation.

Failure permits no alibis.  

Right, If I just threw stuff together for my job I would be fired.  It should be the same with journalism.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When people are paid to write rubbish create narratives that stoke hate, embellish facts report on whispers from hidden sources and are allowed to just freefall stories at any cost and get paid, why would they care?

It used to be an honourable profession one where the next big story meant you was the top dog in hack town, now you become a racist hating lunatic if you dare report the truth or go against the medias total and obvious bias.

Trump said it from day one fake news, you are fake news.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Setton said:

I have brought peace to the world by killing everyone who isn't me!

And turned the entire population of the world into murderers. 

4 hours ago, Aroundthecorner said:

When people are paid to write rubbish create narratives that stoke hate, embellish facts report on whispers from hidden sources and are allowed to just freefall stories at any cost and get paid, why would they care?

It used to be an honourable profession one where the next big story meant you was the top dog in hack town, now you become a racist hating lunatic if you dare report the truth or go against the medias total and obvious bias.

Trump said it from day one fake news, you are fake news.

And public trust in journalism is in decline. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

And public trust in journalism is in decline. 

We the people