Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

American journalism getting worse

Vorg

26 minutes ago, and then said:

Oh, I agree.  I think the real issue is a simple neglect for maintaining professional standards.  I can't imagine spending tens of thousands on a Journalism degree and then relying solely on Twitter posts for content.  It's shameful, IMO.  

I am not sure about this @and then

If I can spot grammar and spelling mistakes, and clear failures of the journalists to understand their subject material - you can rest assured it much worse than neglect for 'professional' standards. 

• Like 3

C-SPAN suspends Scully after he admits to lie about hack

NEW YORK (AP) — C-SPAN suspended its political editor Steve Scully indefinitely Thursday after he admitted to lying about his Twitter feed being hacked when he was confronted about a questionable exchange with former Trump aide Anthony Scaramucci.

(link)

Well, at least he had balls to admit it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

(link)

Truth will always out eventually.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Aroundthecorner said:

Truth will always out eventually.

On the other hand, may not be the "balls", but the fear of prosecution over lie.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

(link)

I agree.  I've always had more respect for a person who is willing to own a mistake.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have been slacking, but our American journalist have not. I have seen dozens of examples, so I'll continue. You'd think they would actually pay people to proof read stuff. Here is the latest:

La. Realtor Who Was 'Loved by Everybody' Is Killed During Sale of Dirk Bike Arranged on Social Media

La. Realtor Who Was 'Loved by Everybody' Is Killed During Sale of Dirk Bike Arranged on Social Media (msn.com)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, South Alabam said:

I have been slacking, but our American journalist have not. I have seen dozens of examples, so I'll continue. You'd think they would actually pay people to proof read stuff. Here is the latest:

La. Realtor Who Was 'Loved by Everybody' Is Killed During Sale of Dirk Bike Arranged on Social Media

La. Realtor Who Was 'Loved by Everybody' Is Killed During Sale of Dirk Bike Arranged on Social Media (msn.com)

Sure you can proofread, but speed is the key these days.  Literally dozens of articles per publication are published daily.  As opposed to, what, 15 in a newspaper 30 years ago?  Times have changed, and speed is what it's all about.  A writer is just a person.  I mean, really, look at some of the posts on here.  There are people on this forum that would fail 8th grade English.  Just because someone writes the news for a living doesn't mean they're going to be perfect.  You still understand what the story is.  You still know that Dirk Bike is Dirt Bike.  Should everyone just disregard Aztek's posts because they are severely grammatically incorrect?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Agent0range said:

Sure you can proofread, but speed is the key these days.  Literally dozens of articles per publication are published daily.  As opposed to, what, 15 in a newspaper 30 years ago?  Times have changed, and speed is what it's all about.  A writer is just a person.  I mean, really, look at some of the posts on here.  There are people on this forum that would fail 8th grade English.  Just because someone writes the news for a living doesn't mean they're going to be perfect.  You still understand what the story is.  You still know that Dirk Bike is Dirt Bike.  Should everyone just disregard Aztek's posts because they are severely grammatically incorrect?

30 years ago editors messed up headlines too, "The city is in the African American" was the headline on a midwestern newspaper for the story about the city finally being out of debt (called Being in the Black).   :lol:   So Dirk Bike was in the headline about someone losing his car and dirt bike.  Even though there was no one by that name in the story.   Obviously the editors do not read the story's, just edit the headlines.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Agent0range said:

In other words, lazy journalism.  Lazy reporting.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

In other words, lazy journalism.  Lazy reporting.  

Yep.  I remember in the 80's being frustrated with newspaper articles that had been cut by the editor and had strange chunks missing from the middle of a sentence to obviously several paragraphs later.   Like the editors were the ones with substandard skills.  Now I think the writers and the editors have substandard skills.

• Like 2

Makes me wonder that in the age of spell check and grammar check if the job of editor become obsolete and was cut from corporations.  

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be more correct...

American Editors getting worse.

Because the fault of these published articles is actually the fault of the editor that approved the article and headline.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Because the fault of these published articles is actually the fault of the editor that approved the article and headline.

No doubt. It seems they miss the headline more than anything.

• Like 1

Didn't know best place to put this - so I'll put it here....

An example of the dire state of American MSM journalism .. although to be fair it's not just America it's all over the world...

This is an example of how the MSM twists (and makes up) news to become nothing more than a blatant propaganda outlet - 

Trump could do no right and Biden can do no wrong.... the relentless brain washing continues...

This relates how the Washington Post has issued a (belated) correction to a story that was shamelessly used to help create a false anti Trump narrative... 

A correction issued by the Washington Post has revealed former President Donald Trump did not tell Georgia’s top elections investigator to “find the fraud” or that she would be a “national hero” if she did during a controversial phone conversation, says Sky News host James Morrow. Two months after the publication of the story the Georgia Secretary of state released an audio recording of Mr Trump’s December phone call which showed the Washington Post misquoted the former president’s comments. Mr Morrow said in the recording Mr Trump urged the investigator to scrutinize ballots in Fulton County asserting she would find "dishonesty" there and told her she had "the most important job in the country right now”. “When the actual recording of the call was found, oddly in the trash bin of the computer belonging to Georgia election authorities, it revealed the call was nothing like how it was originally characterised.” Mr Morrow said the forces of groupthink, mass hysteria and the unchecked mainstream media have come together to decisively rule on which people are fit to hold public office. He described the correction story as “the most important Trump story you’ve probably never heard”. “This isn't about whether or not Trump won or lost. Biden is president and the world has moved on but what it is about is a media that has anointed itself the arbiter of truth when it appears they don't even know the meaning of the word.”

• Like 3

On 3/12/2021 at 9:50 PM, DieChecker said:

But the editors have to do what the owners and shareholders want or they would be fired - 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bee said:

Didn't know best place to put this - so I'll put it here....

An example of the dire state of American MSM journalism .. although to be fair it's not just America it's all over the world...

This is an example of how the MSM twists (and makes up) news to become nothing more than a blatant propaganda outlet - 

Trump could do no right and Biden can do no wrong.... the relentless brain washing continues...

This relates how the Washington Post has issued a (belated) correction to a story that was shamelessly used to help create a false anti Trump narrative... 

This is where in some instances things like this should be a crime. In the Military they have something called "False Official statement" Which can hold someone accountable for making false statements that aren't from an Official source. 

When the actions of the press along with "anonymous"  sources can create any narrative they want, like in this case, this "source" should be outed, if there was a "source" at all. Who is to say that these "anonymous" sources are even real.

And these misquoting's could become libel for WAPO should Trump decide to sue.

I strongly agree with Freedom of the press, just not freedom to make up stories or use biased sources, and in this case it will probably cost them.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

This is where in some instances things like this should be a crime. In the Military they have something called "False Official statement" Which can hold someone accountable for making false statements that aren't from an Official source. 

When the actions of the press along with "anonymous"  sources can create any narrative they want, like in this case, this "source" should be outed, if there was a "source" at all. Who is to say that these "anonymous" sources are even real.

And these misquoting's could become libel for WAPO should Trump decide to sue.

I strongly agree with Freedom of the press, just not freedom to make up stories or use biased sources, and in this case it will probably cost them.

Well said.

I can't disagree with the MSM assessment, but I think that is half the problem.  The other half is the Right MSM.  FOX news is bigger than CNN or MSNBC by a long ways.  They also spin, provide a platform for falsehoods and sometimes make stuff up themselves.  The smaller networks like OAN and the sites like Epoch Times do as well.  

It is not journalism any more and that confuses most of us.  Generations of people grew up depending on journalists reporting news and facts.

Now, that is not the model.  It is about guiding, controlling and inciting a base.  Much of it is propaganda. For a time, I thought it was all about money, I think it is more than that.  Influencers and infotainers have power, whether they use it for themselves or for a cause or employer.

IMO, people who believe only the other side actively distorts facts and invents some are half blind and easily led.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Well said.

I can't disagree with the MSM assessment, but I think that is half the problem.  The other half is the Right MSM.  FOX news is bigger than CNN or MSNBC by a long ways.  They also spin, provide a platform for falsehoods and sometimes make stuff up themselves.  The smaller networks like OAN and the sites like Epoch Times do as well.  

It is not journalism any more and that confuses most of us.  Generations of people grew up depending on journalists reporting news and facts.

Now, that is not the model.  It is about guiding, controlling and inciting a base.  Much of it is propaganda. For a time, I thought it was all about money, I think it is more than that.  Influencers and infotainers have power, whether they use it for themselves or for a cause or employer.

IMO, people who believe only the other side actively distorts facts and invents some are half blind and easily led.

Exactly. People who religiously listen to Rachel Maddow, or Tucker Carlson for example, then just blindly agree with what they say, should step back and see both sides of the picture. 

I don't trust the news, so I usually double check it from both sides.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Exactly. People who religiously listen to Rachel Maddow, or Tucker Carlson for example, then just blindly agree with what they say, should step back and see both sides of the picture. 

I don't trust the news, so I usually double check it from both sides.

I don't pay much attention to the  news because of all this and have not since the 80's.   But when a story comes out that gets my attention I go to non U.S. sources to see what the perspective from afar is.   Also, watching CBN, Al Jazira, Telemudo in addition to CNN & Fox and ABC (who has their own agenda and propaganda, strangely different from either "side" we are used to)   Then take the most logical peices of each and piece together what actually happened or whether anything actually happened.  And Sound Bytes mean nothing, but yet that is what we get a lot of in the propaganda.    It is a lot of work and just easier to check in with family, friends and neighbors to see how they are doing without any conversations about politics or "the News".  

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't pay much attention to the  news because of all this and have not since the 80's.   But when a story comes out that gets my attention I go to non U.S. sources to see what the perspective from afar is.   Also, watching CBN, Al Jazira, Telemudo in addition to CNN & Fox and ABC (who has their own agenda and propaganda, strangely different from either "side" we are used to)   Then take the most logical peices of each and piece together what actually happened or whether anything actually happened.  And Sound Bytes mean nothing, but yet that is what we get a lot of in the propaganda.    It is a lot of work and just easier to check in with family, friends and neighbors to see how they are doing without any conversations about politics or "the News".  

We watch Globo News, but all they do is parrot CNN to the point it's comical. It's CNN in Portuguese. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Well said.

Yep.  People need to watch Fox News and other sources to be able to make their own conclusion.  

I agree that Fox News is the biggest, but the left leaning has much more outlets and they all fabricate stories.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only A+ I ever got in college Composition English, was when I wrote a story related to sex and violence.

It was then that I decided I did not want to become a journalist.

It’s a profession mostly built around sensationalism of the facts, not the facts themselves.

Edited by Raptor Witness