Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plastic Made From Peas

acute

At a research facility connected to Cambridge University, scientists (with bald, pointy heads, thick glasses and beards) have discovered a way to make an eco-friendly robust material similar to plastic.

It is made from the proteins in peas or similar vegetables, and is not just biodegradable but edible!

https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk%2Fbusiness%2Fbreakthrough-cambridge-science-turns-pea-protein-into-microplastics-without-the-plastic-9108956%2F

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, acute said:

At a research facility connected to Cambridge University, scientists (with bald, pointy heads, thick glasses and beards) have discovered a way to make an eco-friendly robust material similar to plastic.

It is made from the proteins in peas or similar vegetables, and is not just biodegradable but edible!

https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk%2Fbusiness%2Fbreakthrough-cambridge-science-turns-pea-protein-into-microplastics-without-the-plastic-9108956%2F

I don't think this is new.  I remember my friend investing in a bio plastic company about 10 years ago.  It was based in arabia, I think.  I have seen products made from bio plastics in the health food stores for at least a decade.  Some of them, but not all, are edible.

It was on BBC News today.

I don't know enough about it, TBH, but I suspect the "breakthrough" may be the leap from fake microplastics to larger forms.

Edited by acute
Added the video of the report I saw today.
  • Thanks 1

I read the title as "Peas made from plastic" and I almost freaked out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Perfect ingredient,peas taste like plastic to me anyway and it's a good way to get rid of them,saves ruining a great roast dinner,lol.

6 minutes ago, openozy said:

Perfect ingredient,peas taste like plastic to me anyway and it's a good way to get rid of them,saves ruining a great roast dinner,lol.

I hate peas

• Like 1

I freaking love peas~!

I'll take your guy's shares...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1