Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S ban on TikTok/WeChat starts Sunday

spartan max2

This somehow didn't get a whole lot of media attention. I'm kind of suprised to just now be seeing this honestly lol.

The Commerce Department plans to restrict access to TikTok and WeChat on Sunday the Trump administration's executive orders against the two apps are set to take effect.

The Department said Friday that as of Sunday, any moves to distribute or maintain WeChat or TikTok on an app store will be prohibited. Apple and Google didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/tech/tiktok-download-commerce/index.html

People who already have the app still keep it on their phone but won't be getting any updates I guess.

While users who have already downloaded the apps may be able to continue using the software, the restrictions mean updated versions of the apps cannot be downloaded.
"The only real change as of Sunday night will be [TikTok users] won't have access to improved apps, updated apps, upgraded apps or maintenance," Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said Friday morning on Fox Business.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't know about the specifics of the threat this app allegedly poses but China has banned damn near the entire internet (except for third eye :P) so how can they complain?  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I don't know about the specifics of the threat this app allegedly poses but China has banned damn near the entire internet (except for third eye :P) so how can they complain?  

Worst deal in history lol

China: Okay, we are going to ban Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Apple, Instagram, CNN, pretty much all news and media sources and replace them with our own cloned copies that the state can censor and control.

U.S: umm okay, that sounds fair. We will allow all your clone copies into our market, not ban any of yours. And not have a problem with all of our companies being banned.

Like wtf is that deal.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

From what I've seen TikTok is the same as Vine, so I can't really imagine much danger from the app. Though I have both a Tablet and a modem by Huawei, so the Chinese Government literally knows everything about me already  :P Probably plagiarizing my writing into bad Anime shows and mobile games and also put me on a blacklist for tourist and working visas to the PRC due to all the gay stuff I look up online (joking! Joking here!)

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

From what I've seen TikTok is the same as Vine, so I can't really imagine much danger from the app. Though I have both a Tablet and a modem by Huawei, so the Chinese Government literally knows everything about me already  :P Probably plagiarizing my writing into bad Anime shows and mobile games and also put me on a blacklist for tourist and working visas to the PRC due to all the gay stuff I look up online (joking! Joking here!)

Gay stuff like bulk ordering glitter from amazon?

istock-510515701.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Gay stuff like bulk ordering glitter from amazon?

Which is, ironically, shipped from China, just like the Gay Pride Flag I ordered in spring.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Which is, ironically, shipped from China, just like the Gay Pride Flag I ordered in spring.

Perfect :tu:

• Like 1

Wondering if any in congress or surrounding it have shares in said apps?

Hey guys, just a reminder: If the GOP sets a precedent that the president can unilaterally ban media for foreign influence, better worry about the Fox News app the next time it spouts russian propaganda...

In other words: Put it through congress. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I dont use tiktoc so i dont care but if trump can ban something because it posts things about him he doesnt like what next ?

Seems those guys who get mad about censorship and want free speech wouldnt be down with banning things like this, but trump does it, its okay.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, the13bats said:

I dont use tiktoc so i dont care but if trump can ban something because it posts things about him he doesnt like what next ?

Seems those guys who get mad about censorship and want free speech wouldnt be down with banning things like this, but trump does it, its okay.

Come on man the bolded part seems like a bad faith comment. People make fun of Trump on all social media, that's not the problem. The problem is how the Chinese government controls it's businesses.

The military has been banned for downloading Tik Tok for a while now because of the security risk. China having back doors to the app and collecting data.

Your second statement is a reasonable thing to say. I don't see it as a free speech issue because I see it as banning spy ware from a hostile foreign government. As my earlier post was about, China has a great fire wall that bans basically all western companies. Because the CCP wants full censorship and propaganda control on any internet in China. 

If China can't play by the same rules every other nations does then they shouldn't be suprised when people start to ban there stuff. 

9 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Hey guys, just a reminder: If the GOP sets a precedent that the president can unilaterally ban media for foreign influence, better worry about the Fox News app the next time it spouts russian propaganda...

In other words: Put it through congress. 

Fair point,

Technically it was the Commerce Department. Idk what presedence there is on the Commerce Department doing stuff like that.

How do you feel about a TiK Tok ban in general, if it did go through congress?

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Your second statement is a reasonable thing to say.

I wasnt going from your acceptance or approval, i was just adding my 2cents like everyone here does :tu:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Come on man the bolded part seems like a bad faith comment. People make fun of Trump on all social media, that's not the problem. The problem is how the Chinese government controls it's businesses.

The military has been banned for downloading Tik Tok for a while now because of the security risk. China having back doors to the app and collecting data.

Your second statement is a reasonable thing to say. I don't see it as a free speech issue because I see it as banning spy ware from a hostile foreign government. As my earlier post was about, China has a great fire wall that bans basically all western companies. Because the CCP wants full censorship and propaganda control on any internet in China. 

If China can't play by the same rules every other nations does then they shouldn't be suprised when people start to ban there stuff. 

The extent, or lack of, free press in China is not related to the issue of collecting data from users.

Data about citizens going going to any foreign government is a big enough issue on its own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I did not see it as a Tik  Tok for Tat.  If China bans freedom of information from their citizens, how can we help them find freedom or more importantly help ourselves maintain freedom by mirroring their behavior?

If you have friends or family  in the military you know that cell phones and social media applications have been a problem for a much longer time than Tik Tok has been around.  If anybody can pick up cell phone GPS signals they can often find out where troop concentrations are and which units are present. Sometimes soldiers inadvertently share too much information as well.

Safety and security are considerations, but I don't want to use China as a model for any US government activity.  Let us set our own regulations by what ensures freedom for American citizens not whether China  lets in American companies or not.

China doesn't have a 2nd Amendment.  Should we teach them a lesson by getting rid of ours?

China does not have freedom of assembly or trial by jury guaranteed either.  Is that a practice we should follow?

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

Trump saves the day again....what a showman

Naked hypocrisy at its finest... 

~

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Naked hypocrisy at its finest... 

~

Im fully clothed or did you mean trump who i have no clue and dont wanna know if he is naked, ( shutter )  with his damn them to hell banning but going back on that to make a deal with them? Yeah, pretty ironic among other things.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Yeah, pretty ironic among other things.

Another one of his "art" of the deals... 

:lol:

~

• Thanks 1

I always wondered why Russian based Faceapp is not being considered a similar threat as TikTok.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, thedutchiedutch said:

I always wondered why Russian based Faceapp is not being considered a similar threat as TikTok.

Congratulations, at least you know enough to mention it here on the forums... 

:tu:

~

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, the13bats said:

Im fully clothed or did you mean trump who i have no clue and dont wanna know if he is naked, ( shutter )  with his damn them to hell banning but going back on that to make a deal with them? Yeah, pretty ironic among other things.

The deal is to buy TikTok out making it a U.S based company and therefore no longer subject to the CCP. It instead would be owned by Walmart. 

That's not ironic. That gets rid of the problem.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-09-19/trump-tiktok-deal-oracle-walmart

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, thedutchiedutch said:

Because its not mainstream. It has nowhere near the popularity here in the U.S. 

Like, I honestly know nobody who uses Faceapp. Whereas I know plenty who have a TikTok.

Tiktok is a target because it went mainstream so all of a sudden the idea of a foreign hostile government being able to gather data, censor, and spread propaganda on a very large amount of the U.S became a concern.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

The deal is to buy TikTok out making it a U.S based company and therefore no longer subject to the CCP. It instead would be owned by Walmart. 

That's not ironic. That gets rid of the problem.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-09-19/trump-tiktok-deal-oracle-walmart

Well played too.

50 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Because its not mainstream. It has nowhere near the popularity here in the U.S. 

Like, I honestly know nobody who uses Faceapp. Whereas I know plenty who have a TikTok.

Tiktok is a target because it went mainstream so all of a sudden the idea of a foreign hostile government being able to gather data, censor, and spread propaganda on a very large amount of the U.S became a concern.

Trump went after tiktoc because kids on there allegy used it to make him look like an every bigger baffoon failure at his Tulsa rally with small turn out after he boasted over a million were going.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1