Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alternatives to Ccleaner

Bendy Demon

I want to replace Ccleaner on my computer. At some point the program became a bit..wonky and unreliable (and stopped working altogether too)so I was wondering what programs are comparable (and free).

I was going to install a program called 'Clean Master' but cancelled it. I heard of BleachBit but don't know if it is reliable so anyone have ideas of what programs are good, effective, stable and relatively trustworthy?

Thanks

I stopped using third party apps long ago, because Windows Disk Cleanup does the same job, and has options to go even deeper, like old system restore files.

Yeah, it might take a while to learn to use it right, but once you've got it, you won't ever need another tool like that.

Note: No install. You already got it.

Edited by zep73
  • Like 1

Hmm..ok. Thanks.

I like to use at least a couple of programs because one might not get them all.

I have Glary Utilities and that works well and sometimes I use Windows Disk Clean-up too but having a back-up helps as well.

Thanks.

35 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

I want to replace Ccleaner on my computer. At some point the program became a bit..wonky and unreliable (and stopped working altogether too)

Why don't you uninstall it, then get the latest version from the official website?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bendy Demon said:

I like to use at least a couple of programs because one might not get them all.

So do I.

I use CCleaner and Windows Disk Cleanup.

I use Malwarebytes for malware/spyware, and do a scan with Windows Defender occasionally.

My antivirus is Avast.

All free.

Edited by acute

1 hour ago, acute said:

Why don't you uninstall it, then get the latest version from the official website?

Yeah, I think I'll try that.

Right now I have Avast, Malware Bytes, Glary Utilities and SuperAnti Spyware.

Windows Disk Cleanup is good though I am unsure of whether it does anything for the registry

Just now, Bendy Demon said:

Windows Disk Cleanup is good though I am unsure of whether it does anything for the registry

I'm not sure.

That's why I use CCleaner's registry scan after a clean-up.

Yeah..I especially like to use it after I uninstall programs. They can leave behind a mess even when I use Glary Soft Absolute uninstaller.

There is a small program with Super-AntiSpyware called SuperDelete and I have had to use it to get rid of stubborn files that were left behind after installations and refused to be deleted even after changing it from a read-only to a regular file.

I just want to keep my system as clear of junk files as I can.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bendy Demon said:

I want to replace Ccleaner on my computer. At some point the program became a bit..wonky and unreliable (and stopped working altogether too)so I was wondering what programs are comparable (and free).

I was going to install a program called 'Clean Master' but cancelled it. I heard of BleachBit but don't know if it is reliable so anyone have ideas of what programs are good, effective, stable and relatively trustworthy?

Thanks

Hi Bendy

I use iobit Advance System Care as well as several of their other products because they work well together and you can get free versions

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
not sure but did it anyway

8 hours ago, Bendy Demon said:

Yeah, I think I'll try that.

Right now I have Avast, Malware Bytes, Glary Utilities and SuperAnti Spyware.

I have been using AML free registry cleaner for around 15 years and it has never caused a blue screen, or any registry error whatsoever.

https://amltools.com/

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help.

I tried IObit but am a tad leery about making changes other than deleting registry entries that are invalid or left-over from uninstalling programs, same with Privazer..I might try them again once I understand the file system better on Windows 10 as well as stuff that it needs to function optimally.

I guess my apprehension lies in that I may inadvertently delete something then find out I really needed it and my computer is useless. :)

I did a clean install of Ccleaner from Piriform rather than using FileHippo (which is where I got many programs

Windows "god mode" is very usefull.

Create a new folder on the desktop and rename it to this, all of this

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

The icon for the folder will then change from the default to being the same as the control panel, though it will not have a name. Open this folder and be amazed to see all the settings that are usually hidden, some deeply, all in a nicely organized list.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2020 at 9:56 AM, Wepwawet said:

Windows "god mode" is very usefull.

Create a new folder on the desktop and rename it to this, all of this

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

I did that today!

I had GodMode on my old Win7 laptop, and realized I didn't have it on Windows 10.

It's very useful because it cuts out the middle man, if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

I use Malwarebytes paid version and Kaspersky total security on my tower system 

I use Malwarebytes free version and Norton 360 on my laptop.

PS I will get round to putting the paid Malwarebytes on the laptop too.