Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1 year old changing own nappy ??

Mr Coop

Hi , Me and the mrs babysat her 1 year old nephew over 3 days .. On the 2nd night she woke up to him tapping on her head for a bottle .. But prior to that he had changed his own nappy .. ??? But .. He's just turned 1 .. And .. We live in a big house with very long steep stairs and his nappys are down stairs in the back living room and the only lighting was the fish tank .. He had some how made his way downstairs got the nappys brought the full pack of pampers up to the bedroom changed it and placed the used one neatly in the middle of the bedroom .. Now .. The logic in my head is yeah he absolutely did this himself .. But .. He just sat there and looked at us strangely since his stay with us .. Didnt explore our house in any which way shape of form .. We took him to the park and he showed no interest what so ever in anything there .. If you sit him in the sofa he will not move of it either .. So my question is , , , why just suddenly get out of the bed we had next to ours for him and make his way in the dark get his nappys , change it , then get back in bed . . he must of took the nappy off before going down the stairs of there would of been some gel out of the nappy from him bouncing down the stairs and why did he not roam around our house or at least move something .... The last thing i think a 1 year old would think about is changing his own nappy .. Strange .. Any ideas people .. Thanks .  

I know for certain he did not go down the stairs and change his own 'nappy'.   Your wife did it but didn't remember because well...babysitting one year olds is a full throttle experience.    She was so tired she doesn't remember doing it...but she did it.

• Like 4

She would definitely remember if that was the case ... I just think he did it .. Just can't get my head round why. .. Don't forget he woke her up wanting his bottle after the nappy had been changed .. So if she'd of changed his nappy she would have gave him his drink then .. 

How much had you been drinking?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 year olds and midnight/early AM diaper changes. You can change in those sleep deprived hours and not have an idea you did it. 3 kids taught me that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Mr Coop I think you need to Google developmental milestones for babies.

If a 1yo somehow managed to get downstairs, change their own nappy, and return to be upstairs; there would be sh!t everywhere.

5 hours ago, Mr Coop said:

He's just turned 1 .. And .. We live in a big house with very long steep stairs and his nappys are down stairs in the back living room and the only lighting was the fish tank .. He had some how made his way downstairs got the nappys brought the full pack of pampers up to the bedroom changed it and placed the used one neatly in the middle of the bedroom .. Now .. The logic in my head is yeah he absolutely did this himself ..

How is that logical!?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

That's one very special baby. Take care of that one.

f29.gif

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Stiff said:

That's one very special baby. Take care of that one.

f29.gif

pffft   He can obviously take care of himself.

What I don't understand is that if he could navigate the stairs, find the nappys, take them back upstairs, put one on...all by himself...why did he even bother with waking mom for a bottle?  If you are going to be an adult at one, then be an adult damn it! 

The fact is one year olds have neither the physical nor mental apptitude to do any of that.  That papa believes he did creates doubt in my mind as to the mental apptitude of papa.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's obvious that the kid was possessed, didn't like a stinky diaper and was hungry. That is the only logical and reasonable explanation. 

Xen-o-meter 100% paranormal 0% fake. :lol:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mr Coop said:

Hi , Me and the mrs babysat her 1 year old nephew over 3 days .. On the 2nd night she woke up to him tapping on her head for a bottle .. But prior to that he had changed his own nappy .. ??? But .. He's just turned 1 .. And .. We live in a big house with very long steep stairs and his nappys are down stairs in the back living room and the only lighting was the fish tank .. He had some how made his way downstairs got the nappys brought the full pack of pampers up to the bedroom changed it and placed the used one neatly in the middle of the bedroom .. Now .. The logic in my head is yeah he absolutely did this himself .. But .. He just sat there and looked at us strangely since his stay with us .. Didnt explore our house in any which way shape of form .. We took him to the park and he showed no interest what so ever in anything there .. If you sit him in the sofa he will not move of it either .. So my question is , , , why just suddenly get out of the bed we had next to ours for him and make his way in the dark get his nappys , change it , then get back in bed . . he must of took the nappy off before going down the stairs of there would of been some gel out of the nappy from him bouncing down the stairs and why did he not roam around our house or at least move something .... The last thing i think a 1 year old would think about is changing his own nappy .. Strange .. Any ideas people .. Thanks .  

I'm confused by the gel why would it be on the steps?  Also could it be possible that he managed to get hold of a nappy that had previously been changed from a nappy bin etc and not actually changed himself?  And as for navigating stairs it would appear even at that age they are very good at it my own daughter did it often when she was younger.

I've seen one year old kids use computers without being taught,it's a bit scary but having to raise three kids alone I wouldn't complain about the nappy changing ones.

11 hours ago, Mr Coop said:

One year olds do not have the cognitive or motor skills to navigate through a house to retrieve diapers and change themselves. Furthermore, the child was without his parents and not in the familiar surroundings of his own home. No surprise that he might be quieter or more reserved than usual. As others here have suggested, your wife most likely changed his diaper and forgot she did so. There is absolutely nothing paranormal going on and cannot for the life of me understand why you would think otherwise.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mr Coop said:

My first question is why did you have the nappies downstairs so far from the bedroom?

After that, how often have you visited with this baby?  Is he familiar with you or was this the first time he spent more than a few  minutes with you?