Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
philmatuk

Longridge Fell Derbyshire

philmatuk

Recently me and the wife decided to go do a bit of wild camping in the Longridge Fell woods in Derbyshire, all was well as we found a old knotted tree that resembled an octopus with its huge low hung branches meeting the ground, it was near a bubbling stream and what appeared to be a lovely location. Fires where totally a no no due to recent forest fires so we cooked on my gas stove and had steak and mushroom butties a few vodkas and a couple of glasses of wine before settling down for bed. initially all was well until we heard what we thought was a horse or large deer sploshing around in the stream near by in the darkness, torches on fully expecting to see a deer we saw nothing..... ok one of those things this happened time and time again the sound of hooves clattering on rocks and splashing in the stream was too pronounced to be dismissed. we tried to ignore it and settle donw eventually sort of settling then we heard about 100m away a mans voice shouting aggressively, you couldn't make out what he was shouting but it was loud deep and angry, accompanying this the loud whack of a large heavy stick being repeatedly smashed into the trunk of a tree. This went on for about an hour and a half, also we could hear what sounded like the jingle of a dogs collar making its way around the woods around us, thing is we where miles away from any houses or farms and this was about 0330am in the morning eventually it stopped not long before sunrise when me and my terrified wife packed up and left.... this totally ruined the wild camping for us,  

We tried again at snakes pass woods a few weeks later but the previous experience was still fresh in our minds so that wasnt fun either 

• Like 1

quiXilver

I often go solo camping off path and in the deeps...

My encounters in the deep wilds with bear, coyote, wolves, badgers, wolverines, moose, elk, caribou are welcome.

In my diving days, sharks, orcas, elephant seals (9,000 lbs+) never elicited any anxiety...

But when I happen upon some humans while out there isolated in the deeps... I'm decidedly more guarded and watchful.

Humans are always a potential unpredictable threat...

• Like 3

philmatuk

you are not joking, humans are very unpredictable and some of the worst monsters out there i believe 

• Like 1

OpeningThe Veil

Phil sounds to me like you might have heard a re-enactment of an event from the past, a violent one by the sound of it. Or to put it another way a "replay" of something that had imprinted itself on the landscape. The "stone tape theory" can apply to any outdoor event, it doesn't have to involve stone buildings, it can be imprinted on the earth in just the same way. Are you aware of any violent happenings in the area?