Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Princess Bride

2020 Will be a Blue Moon Halloween

26 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Princess Bride

This year will offer another blue moon Halloween. Blue moon Halloweens happen about every 19 years and the last one, the one this incident happened on, was back in 2001.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/09/18/halloween-blue-moon-full-moon/?fbclid=IwAR0d3zEItO4sMg8GBQ6wr8oN_ie7EuMHWWqgUeCLPUKa7-1c3oE9ug3bG8s

Back in 2001 I took my kids and a friend of theirs trick or treating. On our way out of the door my daughter mentioned it was a blue moon Halloween which meant it was going to be extra haunted. It was also noted it was the Halloween immediately after 9-11. I didn't think much of it. It was all in fun. 

Later that evening dried leaves skittered across the street pavement when the wind picked up and the trees overhead rustled in the breeze creating a spooky atmosphere. At that time we found ourselves on a busy street of mature trees and older houses full of clusters of trick or treaters. Soon the kids were whispering to each other across the groups as they came close to each other.  

"Does anyone know those boys over there?" They inquired about four trick or treaters that were following along with everyone but somehow stayed in the periphery. Some kids tried to talk to them but they never looked their way or answered at all. At first everyone thought they were just from out of town but they never lifted their masks or spoke a single word at all. We would see them patiently waiting for other groups of trick or treaters ahead of them or approaching houses but no one actually saw them trick or treat or get candy from any of the houses.

Different things were being noticed and pointed out. They were wearing full, mint condition Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle costumes that were just like new but had only been popular a decade or more prior and then only for a Halloween or two. Add to that their tennis shoes were also of the same vintage and therefore out of style as well. Finally, their trick or treat bags were distinctive large plastic squares from around the same period also. No one had seen clothes like theirs in years. 

We decided to circle back towards our house and wrap the evening up. We caught one last glimpse of them heading the other way down a residential section of Main Street. Later that evening after we were home, safe and warm, long after we'd sorted candy and told ghost stories, we glanced out the back sliding glass doors and saw them. My hair stood on end and we all moved up to the glass and put our faces up to it to see better. By then the moon had rose and the wind had grown even more intense. All the trick or treaters had returned to their homes hours before, but before us the most solemn procession walked along the street in a row with their shoulders hunched over and their heads bowed. The wind blew and an empty treat bag fluttered. Then before our disbelieving eyes they faded and disappeared into thin air.

I have no idea whose ghosts they were or why they were there but we never saw them again. This year is another blue moon Halloween and maybe they will make another appearance but hopefully they have found their rest in the years since.

Here's some links verifying 2001 was the last Halloween blue moon. Also, two new moons are called black moons and are also considered ominous portents for All Hallows Eve.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2020/01/09/two-super-moons-and-halloween-blue-moon-seen-year/4421560002/
https://www.obliquity.com/astro/blue-halloween.html

Also there was a spooky incident on The Day of the Dead after my dad died. I'll post about that soon too maybe. Also maybe the time skip involving him as well. I'll see how things go here and then decide.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Solipsi Rai

2001 was the Halloween after 9/11 and the beginning of US military involvement in Afghanistan, this year we have a pandemic and in 3 days after Halloween, an US presidential election. I don't know an October when there were 2 new moons and I know that happened in my lifetime. Halloween is a time when our dimension is being visited by those from another, a spiritual realm has its portals open and we're going to put up with spirits and ghosts all night, it is no wonder the day after Halloween are called All Souls Day or All Spirits Day. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats

:rolleyes:

Great story, very imaginative, if the tmt ghost kids return be sure to grab a few selfies with them.

Edited by the13bats
typo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess Bride
On 9/20/2020 at 10:48 PM, Solipsi Rai said:

2001 was the Halloween after 9/11 and the beginning of US military involvement in Afghanistan, this year we have a pandemic and in 3 days after Halloween, an US presidential election. I don't know an October when there were 2 new moons and I know that happened in my lifetime. Halloween is a time when our dimension is being visited by those from another, a spiritual realm has its portals open and we're going to put up with spirits and ghosts all night, it is no wonder the day after Halloween are called All Souls Day or All Spirits Day. 

After a lot of Googling It looks like the last Halloween with a black moon was in 2016. Interesting...

I totally agree with your conclusion about that time of year. It's why so many people into the occult particularly like to dabble during that time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess Bride
On 9/20/2020 at 11:02 PM, the13bats said:

:rolleyes:

Great story, very imaginative, if the tmt ghost kids return be sure to grab a few selfies with them.

I didn't have to use my imagination for that one. Some of my stories are from my imagination though. I try to be clear when I make something up and when it's based on actual events. However, I don't ask that anyone believe if they don't want to. My daughter still lives in that town and takes my grandkids trick or treating there and she's never seen them since. She did some checking on facebook and no one she knows has either. Maybe they will reappear this year but I'm pretty sure trick or treating is canceled or will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats
13 minutes ago, Princess Bride said:

I didn't have to use my imagination for that one. Some of my stories are from my imagination though. I try to be clear when I make something up and when it's based on actual events. However, I don't ask that anyone believe if they don't want to. My daughter still lives in that town and takes my grandkids trick or treating there and she's never seen them since. She did some checking on facebook and no one she knows has either. Maybe they will reappear this year but I'm pretty sure trick or treating is canceled or will be.

People shouldnt take my opinions personally,  all we have here is a story and the fact people do all kinds of weirdness around the halloween season, so embellishment runs rabid and memories are unreliable so doesnt make tales otherworldly or paramormal outside the believers mind, i hope they come back and i hope you get pics but they might be too old to trick or treat now.

I too didnt give a second thought that due to covid there would be no trick or treating this year, so ive sat out one jack o lantern late as i normally start sept 10th and i do go all out so very crest fallen,

Then my neighbor tells me that shes considering a block party, huh? Asked me to provide the tunes ( i was in the music, club biz ) so i told her sure, afterall shes a city official ill be wearing something like,

OIP.qyG0oL5L25xxhAOkYQ7YAgHaM_?w=188&h=3

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

Just looks like a made up story to me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess Bride

This was just a trial run to see if I'd come back and keep posting here. It's true that I can't prove anything about this one way or another. The reception here is better than at one forum I've been a member of for around a decade. The feedback was polite, which was nice. It was also a mixed bag. I appreciate two liked the story whether they believe it or not. I kind of missed the point of the person that just chimed in that they don't believe it with the critique of my writing that it sounded made up. It seemed rather childish and the point evades me other than being like an ******* that walks up to a stranger and sucker punches them just for kicks. What positive outcome could possibly be expected from that other than hurting my feelings?

I don't know. I'm going to think about posting here in the future. I'm not too crazy about the tone of the political posts here either. I don't want to cast my pearls before swine, even if my pearls are just cheap, plastic beads.

Anyway, thank you all for your input. I really do appreciate it.

Edited by Princess Bride
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TashaMarie

Did you look into who the children could have been?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess Bride

I have no idea who they were. I could check a bit. 

Our theory at the time was that they were dead from the 9-11 attacks since it just happened and young people just getting their first jobs would have been the right age for wearing those costumes when they were stylish.

I'll do some digging and see if I can come up with something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThereWeAreThen
17 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Just looks like a made up story to me.

Now now Xeno, we know such things don't exist on this site. :rolleyes:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TashaMarie
1 hour ago, Princess Bride said:

I have no idea who they were. I could check a bit. 

Our theory at the time was that they were dead from the 9-11 attacks since it just happened and young people just getting their first jobs would have been the right age for wearing those costumes when they were stylish.

I'll do some digging and see if I can come up with something.

Sorry I'm confused (I can be very slow)  I read it as them being quite young (for some reason I was thinking 12ish possibly younger) also 9-11 was over a month before Halloween and during the day why would they have been wearing the costumes?  I understand its just your theory but am curious.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1

@Princess Bride  Don't be bothered by the negativists here. I plow on with my honest opinions and can give it right back to them. We should all continue posting as the negativists if they bother you can be ignored or like me fun to punch in the snout. 

But I will credit your story as likely true from your writing and demeanor. Best theory for me is kids that have passed coming back to join the other kids as best they can. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
44 minutes ago, TashaMarie said:

Sorry I'm confused (I can be very slow)  I read it as them being quite young (for some reason I was thinking 12ish possibly younger) also 9-11 was over a month before Halloween and during the day why would they have been wearing the costumes?  I understand its just your theory but am curious.

@Princess Bride    I was also confused by this. You seemed to be thinking kids that died in 2001 would be wearing 10 year old costumes (like a costume that would have been popular in 1991). Also not many young kids died in the 2001 attacks. I am just speculating that the terrorist attack is not related to your event.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spooky Shiba

Ohhh super interesting. I wonder how this Halloween will turn out. I know there will be COVID restrictions, but frankly, a lot of children aren't in the same Halloween spirit like when I was younger. A lot of kids in my town stopped trick-or-treating a few years ago, the parents all opt for those Trunk-Or-Treats. 

Hoping those TMNT were able to get candy since then! Sounds so sad that they didn't get anything :( Though it is a possibility they only appear in during a Blue Moon Halloween. If that happened to me, I would leave out a small bowl with a note: "candy for the TMNT" every Halloween 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buzz_Light_Year
11 minutes ago, Spooky Shiba said:

Ohhh super interesting. I wonder how this Halloween will turn out. I know there will be COVID restrictions, but frankly, a lot of children aren't in the same Halloween spirit like when I was younger. A lot of kids in my town stopped trick-or-treating a few years ago, the parents all opt for those Trunk-Or-Treats. 

Hoping those TMNT were able to get candy since then! Sounds so sad that they didn't get anything :( Though it is a possibility they only appear in during a Blue Moon Halloween. If that happened to me, I would leave out a small bowl with a note: "candy for the TMNT" every Halloween 

119064477_3286952504723930_4825995118057

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michelle

That looks like something my husband would do. :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spooky Shiba
2 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

119064477_3286952504723930_4825995118057

Saw something super similar to this!! Honestly it's genius :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess Bride
On 9/23/2020 at 11:47 AM, papageorge1 said:

@Princess Bride    I was also confused by this. You seemed to be thinking kids that died in 2001 would be wearing 10 year old costumes (like a costume that would have been popular in 1991). Also not many young kids died in the 2001 attacks. I am just speculating that the terrorist attack is not related to your event.

I'm not posting here to get tore apart and debunked. The theory my daughter and I had was that these were young adults that died on 9-11 that would have been the right age 10 years before. I'll clarify confusion like this that seems legit but not argue with "debunker" types. If you want to debunk then go suck up someone else's time and energy.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess Bride
On 9/23/2020 at 5:39 AM, TashaMarie said:

Did you look into who the children could have been?  

http://tcotrel.tripod.com/911dead.html

According to that list no one from that state died on 9-11. Other Google searches haven't been helpful. I'll keep checking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats
2 hours ago, Princess Bride said:

I'm not posting here to get tore apart and debunked. The theory my daughter and I had was that these were young adults that died on 9-11 that would have been the right age 10 years before. I'll clarify confusion like this that seems legit but not argue with "debunker" types. If you want to debunk then go suck up someone else's time and energy.

Lol,open public forum, you believe it was ghost kids others here do not and post their opinions if all you have is a ghost story with zero proof or evidence, whose wastings whose time?

Anyhoo, due to your post i added blue moon by the marcels to my halloween hoontennanny play list, it was played in the end of american werewolf in london, great film.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
khol
27 minutes ago, the13bats said:

blue moon by the marcels

Great tune and your right, its a public forum and people are allowed there opinions. Its too bad threads go sideways at times tho due to opposing views. Debate is a good thing mud slinging not so much..

Maybe I'll dress up as a tic tac this year  :rolleyes:

Edited by khol
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess Bride
19 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Lol,open public forum, you believe it was ghost kids others here do not and post their opinions if all you have is a ghost story with zero proof or evidence, whose wastings whose time?

Anyhoo, due to your post i added blue moon by the marcels to my halloween hoontennanny play list, it was played in the end of american werewolf in London, great film.

Open, public doesn't necessarily mean without rules or decorum. People can disagree with me and that is all right with me as long as they stay respectful but I'm not going to debate or argue too much is all. Everyone has been really great on this thread and I'm really happy about that. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
2 hours ago, Princess Bride said:

I'm not posting here to get tore apart and debunked. The theory my daughter and I had was that these were young adults that died on 9-11 that would have been the right age 10 years before. I'll clarify confusion like this that seems legit but not argue with "debunker" types. If you want to debunk then go suck up someone else's time and energy.

You do realize that this is a discussion forum right? People are going to question your experience. Since you've made it public, it is fair game now.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats
45 minutes ago, Princess Bride said:

Open, public doesn't necessarily mean without rules or decorum. People can disagree with me and that is all right with me as long as they stay respectful but I'm not going to debate or argue too much is all. Everyone has been really great on this thread and I'm really happy about that. 

 

Then i mistook your poking and complaining?

Im as respectful as i deem a case requires and i haven't argued at all, just stated my opinion that all you have a a "ghost story"

If you hoped for lots of coddling and validation that the only possibility is your story is real and  proves something paranormal thats not really the case here, people will question and comment doing their own thinking.

I also posted about a Halloween song for the blue moon but you ignored that, ^_^

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.