Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canadian city wants to change name

Myles

I was surprised that it took Canada until 2018 to ban asbestos.

A town in Canada is sick of its name for too many negative connotations.

However, the residents of Asbestos in Quebec don’t like the replacement names: Apalone, Jeffrey, Phenix or Trois-Lacs, which refer respectively to an endangered turtle, the name of the city’s first asbestos mine operator, the mythical bird and a former town that merged with Asbestos in 1999.

So, the name change is right now on hold.

“People can be scared we’re going to forget the past, people can be scared we’ll lose our identity, so it’s a major process we’re living,” Caroline Payer, a town councillor, said. “It’s a historical one too. It’s not so often that a municipality changes its name.”

The town, more than 80 miles east of Montreal, thrived for decades on asbestos mining and product manufacturing and its asbestos mine was once the single-largest source of the product in the world.  Asbestos was once the main go-to material for insulating buildings.

Canada banned the substance in 2018.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/quebec-town-asbestos-pauses-name-change-process-after-citizen-complaints

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If we are talking sponsoring they might get Pepsi to sponsor them and then they can call themselves "Pepsiville" 

Or go with the competitor and opt for "Coketown" or better yet "The New Coketown" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Going the sponsorship route is an interesting idea.   How much do you think you can get a major corporation to give?   If they could get $100 million, they could split that between all residents and net them each $15,000.   

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

It's cool. The city can be a sister city with Manganese city in Minnesota, or with Chrome Pennsylvania.

And Lead, South Dakota. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I assume the people of Canada just look around them when coming up with names. I'm not sure what else you can see in Asbestos apart from asbestos. Maybe the new name could be Moose Quebec? 

There's an Asbestos, Australia. But that town is abandoned because of its deadly properties. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

They should rename the place Visit.  It would be a great conversation subject.

Plus, you have a really cool demonym.  Citizens would be called Visitians.

Edited by Golden Duck

On 9/21/2020 at 7:04 PM, Princess Serenity said:

There's an Asbestos, Australia. But that town is abandoned because of its deadly properties. 

it is Wittenoom.

The wasteland warrior: Meet the last remaining resident of Wittenoom - the Outback town so badly contaminated with asbestos that everyone else died of lung cancer.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7829023/Last-remaining-resident-Wittenoom-works-remote-weatherman.html

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

3 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Canadian town of Asbestos breathes easy with new name

https://www.msn.com/en-in/money/topstories/canadian-town-of-asbestos-breathes-easy-with-new-name/ar-BB1acjlc

The Canadian town Asbestos has voted to rename itself "Val-des-Sources", the mayor announced Monday, in a hope to shed its association with the deadly mineral.

Nice, done some lake inventories in the region and one of the lake (Du huit lake) had a peninsula made from discarded asbestos rocks from the mines... a guy working there was thinking it was a good idea to transform a little island to a peninsula to sell more housing lot... 

It's near Thedford mine in Québec, another asbestos mine city in the same region. 

Edited by Jon the frog

On 9/25/2020 at 5:10 PM, aztek said:

it is Wittenoom.

The wasteland warrior: Meet the last remaining resident of Wittenoom - the Outback town so badly contaminated with asbestos that everyone else died of lung cancer.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7829023/Last-remaining-resident-Wittenoom-works-remote-weatherman.html

I was close. I saw it on "Mysteries of the Abandoned" one day.