Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seattle, Portland, NY, could lose federal aid

OverSword

The Justice Department said Monday it has identified three U.S. cities that have "permitted violence and destruction of property" and are now at risk of losing federal dollars as part of President Trump's efforts to crack down on unrest fueled by incidents of police violence against Black men and calls to defund police departments.

New York City, Seattle and Portland, Oregon, were all targeted by the Justice Department as having "refused to undertake reasonable measures to counteract criminal activities" in response to the violence that has erupted in the cities. The list from the department comes in response to a September 2 memorandum issued by Mr. Trump that directed the White House Office of Management and Budget to look into slashing federal funding to "anarchist jurisdictions."

"When state and local leaders impede their own law enforcement officers and agencies from doing their jobs, it endangers innocent citizens who deserve to be protected, including those who are trying to peacefully assemble and protest," Attorney General William Barr said in a statement. "We cannot allow federal tax dollars to be wasted when the safety of the citizenry hangs in the balance."

Link

I'm not pleased at all with my local and state governments handling of the BLM/anarchy protests, I fully disapprove of the actions or lack thereof taken and the ridiculous rhetoric of our Governor and his inability to think, act or speak clearly on behalf and in the interest of the majority of citizens.  That said I pay taxes and don't approve of them not being spent on my behalf just because of the idiots who somehow hold office in my state.  If they don't want me to benefit from the taxes robbed from my paycheck then they shouldn't tax me.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Is there a way to force the governor and mayor to step down?  I am sure a lot of people feel the same way you do. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Is there a way to force the governor and mayor to step down?  I am sure a lot of people feel the same way you do. 

If you get enough signatures you can have a recall at the next election.  That is actually happening with the psychopath city council member of my district Kshama Sawant

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

If you get enough signatures you can have a recall at the next election.  That is actually happening with the psychopath city council member of my district Kshama Sawant

I think in our state we can have a recall vote in a non-election year if enough people sign a petition with just cause.  Once the petition signatures are presented a vote has to be scheduled in a timely manner.

Edited by Desertrat56

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

If they don't want me to benefit from the taxes robbed from my paycheck then they shouldn't tax me.

THAT is the single kind of independence and progressive thinking that they disagree with.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think in our state we can have a recall vote in a non-election year if enough people sign a petition with just cause.  Once the petition signatures are presented a vote has to be scheduled in a timely manner.

We are big on initiatives here in Oregon.  I think there is some recall initiatives started for the mayor.  The governor would be a little harder.  Oregon ranks down in the lowest 2 or 3 states for covid infections per million, and very low on deaths too.  FIre season  was brutal this year and the state did pretty well at responding. My sister, my niece, and my brother in law all were in evac. zones.  They seem to think Oregon handled that, protected their property and got them back home quickly.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, OverSword said:

so there is no way to remove them before an election.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

We are big on initiatives here in Oregon.  I think there is some recall initiatives started for the mayor.  The governor would be a little harder.  Oregon ranks down in the lowest 2 or 3 states for covid infections per million, and very low on deaths too.  FIre season  was brutal this year and the state did pretty well at responding. My sister, my niece, and my brother in law all were in evac. zones.  They seem to think Oregon handled that, protected their property and got them back home quickly.

Oh yeah?  Read this https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bv84jw/oregons-firefighting-helicopters-are-deployed-in-afghanistan-as-the-state-burns

I'm glad your families experience was positive though. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

so there is no way to remove them before an election.   

No, but she is not due for re-election for three years, however if we get enough signatures then we can vote her out in November and that WILL happen.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I remember when I worked for a software company that provided software for county government we had 9 clients in Oregon and they kept us busy with all the changes because of petitions and voters wanting legislation to address issues. 

I figure it is the most truly democratic state in the union.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Oh yeah?  Read this https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bv84jw/oregons-firefighting-helicopters-are-deployed-in-afghanistan-as-the-state-burns

I'm glad your families experience was positive though. 

Yeah.  Fortunately we had fire fighters from Mexico and Australia come up to help us. 

But the Chinooks are currently in Afghanistan, not helping Americans here at home. The Oregon National Guard sent 60 soldiers and six of its Chinooks to Afghanistan in May. “With the potential to drawn down troops, Chinooks are important for their heavy lift capabilities as they can carry equipment from one location to another efficiently,” Lt. Col. Joe Mendel said in a press release. 

They are there to help with the draw down of troops by lifting people and supplies. It is unfortunate timing, but I would find it hard to fault a Republican or Democratic governor whos sent National Guard resources to help US Military leave Afghanistan.  I know that seems like an awfully snowflake liberal thing to do.

• Like 4

Haha...I expect we'll soon see these three seditionist chumps racing across the desert together in an old convertible...like Thelma and Louise...and Bill:

Furious Mayors Of New York, Seattle And Portland Respond To Trump's "Anarchy" Designation

"The President is playing cheap political games with Congressionally directed funds," they wrote in a joint statement. "Our cities are bringing communities together; our cities are pushing forward after fighting back a pandemic and facing the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, all despite recklessness and partisanship from the White House."

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/doj-labels-nyc-portland-seattle-anarchist-jurisdiction-federal-aid-cities-crosshairs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The democrat mayors and governors seem to have succumbed to their own propaganda.  They actually believe America supports what they are doing because OF COURSE, everyone hates the BOM as much as they do.  I hope he can defund them immediately until they comply with their responsibilities to their own citizens.

• Like 1

I am all for Trump is tying to stop all this violence, of Anarchy against our history .

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

anarchy
[ˈanərkē]
NOUN
anarchy (noun)
  1. a state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority.
    "he must ensure public order in a country threatened with anarchy"
    synonyms:
    antonyms:
    • absence of government and absolute freedom of the individual, regarded as a political ideal.

It's just political posturing before the election.  The same thing will happen as what happened when Trump tried to withhold funding to sanctuary cities-  the courts will remind him (again) that the power of the purse belongs to congress and he can't do it.......    

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 3:32 PM, acidhead said:

There must be something in the water in Portland 

56 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Here we go 

Let’s play “Guess Where the Trump Supporters are gathered”.... somewhere near 2nd Avenue no doubt.

6 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Let’s play “Guess Where the Trump Supporters are gathered”.... somewhere near 2nd Avenue no doubt.

no, they are at their homes watching those idiots riot on tv.  going by their own business,  and waiting for  them to hand victory over to trump in November 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, acidhead said:

Progressive Portland mayor candidate 

Just imagine what this type would do if given power.

• 4 weeks later...