Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Enlightenment by virtuous conduct alone...

Ajay0

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

They're chemical reactions created due to a stimuli. 

Are they real?

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

They're chemical reactions created due to a stimuli. 

Edit: I'll lower the IQ requirement for my comment. Yes. Feelings are a response to something that happens either externally, internally or both.

3 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Not really, in fact, not at all.

An attachment means that one must have it or suffer.

A preference is what one would choose given a choice.

I choose a happy, peaceful life.

Then you are attached to having a happy and meaningful life, which means you must suffer to obtain it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Crazy Horse said:

Not really, in fact, not at all.

An attachment means that one must have it or suffer.

A preference is what one would choose given a choice.

I choose a happy, peaceful life.

CH,  life isn’t always happy and peaceful, then what?  One would want to cultivate self awareness not more self deception. :P

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Then you are attached to having a happy and meaningful life, which means you must suffer to obtain it.

And he will suffer when life doesn’t show up happy and meaningful on the attachment/preference path. :P Otherwise one prefers exactly what shows up. Not easy for anyone. :P

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

And he will suffer when life doesn’t show up happy and meaningful on the attachment/preference path. :P

To have a thing is to work for it. To toil in the dirt. Seeking happiness for the sake of it is suffering. 

So, if after that list of fake stuff you posted before, we have decided that feelings are real, and therefore they must be important.

My preference, my choice, is for a happier, more peaceful life..

What is so bad about that?

4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

CH,  life isn’t always happy and peaceful, then what?  One would want to cultivate self awareness not more self deception. :P

Embrace death, enjoy living, knowing that all things are temporary.

• Like 4

So, if after that list of fake stuff you posted before, we have decided that feelings are real, and therefore they must be important.

No. Our feelings are temporary. Eating a slice of pie or smoking meth with both make you feel good, but which is better? The answer is neither. Too much pie will make you fat, too much meth will make you dead. Yet both generate happy feelings.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

No..

In fact, it is the non-attached way of dealing, living life, that actually brings about a deep and lasting happiness.

Suffering, when it arises may be used to gain certain insights, which may be used to further ones wisdom, and happiness.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

To have a thing is to work for it. To toil in the dirt. Seeking happiness for the sake of it is suffering. 

Amen, attachment is a beeoch to let go of. It is hard to see when one is chasing pots of gold at the end of rainbows. 

No..

In fact, it is the non-attached way of dealing, living life, that actually brings about a deep and lasting happiness.

Suffering, when it arises may be used to gain certain insights, which may be used to further ones wisdom, and happiness.

If you seek non-attachment, then why are you attached to the idea of happiness? 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Indeed..

One may use ones suffering to advance ones wisdom etc.

Embrace death, enjoy living, knowing that all things are temporary.

There is neither reason to embrace death, nor reject it.

4 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Indeed..

One may use ones suffering to advance ones wisdom etc.

Advanced wisdom? It sounds like you have a lot of attachment to things.

There are times one is wise and times one isn’t,  such is life.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

No. Our feelings are temporary. Eating a slice of pie or smoking meth with both make you feel good, but which is better? The answer is neither. Too much pie will make you fat, too much meth will make you dead. Yet both generate happy feelings.

So those chemicals in the brain aren't real?

If you seek non-attachment, then why are you attached to the idea of happiness? 

I am not attached to the idea of happiness, only if one has a choice, then most folk would plum for a happy life.

You, yourself, just said "enjoy life".

4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Advanced wisdom? It sounds like you have a lot of attachment to things.

There are times one is wise and times one isn’t,  such is life.

You seem to have difficulty in comprehending my messages..

I did not say "advanced wisdom", but, "advance ones wisdom".

As in, one has a lot more to learn and realise.

1 minute ago, Crazy Horse said:

I am not attached to the idea of happiness, only if one has a choice, then most folk would plum for a happy life.

You, yourself, just said "enjoy life".

Not so,  CH some deal with exactly what shows up and go from there. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

You seem to have difficulty in comprehending my messages..

I did not say "advanced wisdom", but, "advance ones wisdom".

As in, one has a lot more to learn and realise.

Indeed, you have much to practice. Being humble is a good springboard IMHO. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

What is wrong with the life you do have? 

Edited by Sherapy

Emotions are most often produced by stimuli, but the choice of which stimuli to pursue makes a huge difference in the outcome.

Two extreme examples would be Jimmy Carter and Ted Bundy. Former President Carter has spent half his lifetime building homes for indigent families, and the resulting sense of satisfaction no doubt leads to greater joy for himself, and more homes for other people. Ted Bundy was stimulated by behavior that led to death and destruction for other people, and his addiction to the stimuli only increased his own selfish, psychopathic behavior.

In my own life, my pursuit of the false joy in drugs and alcohol led to anxiety and a sense of worthlessness. By the grace of God, I had a moment of clarity that set me on a different path that has led to less focus on my own personal fulfillment, and more focus on other people. The false allure of selfish-ness is a downward path. The “Love your neighbor as yourself” concept produces better outcomes (and better emotions) for yourself and everyone around you.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You're a special kind of stupid aren't you. 

No, he isn’t.  He’s making the choice to view life as he wishes to, which is the same thing that everyone else does to some degree.  For me, when I found “peace and happiness” I also found boredom.  So, there’s a trade off there as I see it.  But, those chemicals in the brain are real.  If they were not real, we wouldn’t experience the pleasures you mentioned.  In any event, I’d take addiction to pie over addiction to meth any day as I think it would be much easier to get off pie than meth when the pleasure ran its course and brought pain, FWIW.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Guyver said:

No, he isn’t.  He’s making the choice to view life as he wishes to, which is the same thing that everyone else does to some degree.  For me, when I found “peace and happiness” I also found boredom.  So, there’s a trade off there as I see it.  But, those chemicals in the brain are real.  If they were not real, we wouldn’t experience the pleasures you mentioned.  In any event, I’d take addiction to pie over addiction to meth any day as I think it would be much easier to get off pie than meth when the pleasure ran its course and brought pain, FWIW.

No he's willfully ignoring the answer he asked for regarding feelings. 

• Like 3

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked