Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Enlightenment by virtuous conduct alone...

Ajay0

57 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Yes, its a mark of respect for a teacher who has taught "me" many, many important lessons.

Who is this teacher?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Sure, you know everything about me, from half way around the world.

It isn't me with the big imagination.

But please tell us what the Bu8ddha had to say about the ego..

It came from your own words, you said you are a guy that doesn’t meditate much, I am agreeing with you, it is apparent based on your tale, I have heard so many stories like yours from newbies after a few attempts at meditation. It is common to imagine and attach a narrative of something divine at first. You are not the first nor will you be the last. It is Uber common to conclude the way you have. I have heard all kinds of tales, but eventually as the practice evolves the narratives fall away for actual reality. 

Yes, you are right you are a guy who doesn’t meditate much. It is what it is. It is a fact. 

My best guess is Freud came up with the concept of in ego the 1920s, so unless you have evidence otherwise the Buddha if he existed would not have used the term. 

If I was you I’d ask  @SHaYap

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

https://www.scu.edu/ethics/ethics-resources/ethical-decision-making/ethics-and-virtue/

"Virtues" are attitudes, dispositions, or character traits that enable us to be and to act in ways that develop this potential. They enable us to pursue the ideals we have adopted. Honesty, courage, compassion, generosity, fidelity, integrity, fairness, self-control, and prudence are all examples of virtues.

How does a person develop virtues? Virtues are developed through learning and through practice. As the ancient philosopher Aristotle suggested, a person can improve his or her character by practicing self-discipline, while a good character can be corrupted by repeated self-indulgence. Just as the ability to run a marathon develops through much training and practice, so too does our capacity to be fair, to be courageous, or to be compassionate.

Virtues are habits. That is, once they are acquired, they become characteristic of a person. For example, a person who has developed the virtue of generosity is often referred to as a generous person because he or she tends to be generous in all circumstances. Moreover, a person who has developed virtues will be naturally disposed to act in ways that are consistent with moral principles. The virtuous person is the ethical person.

Not ego but mindset and personality that create suffering. Cultivate a good nature, even though you will succeed and fail at times. Strive forth with determination always. 

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 7:27 AM, Crazy Horse said:

"When the ego dies, the Souls awakens."

Lord Buddha

What is even more interesting is the Buddha rejected the idea of a soul. ;) Ghandi was known to misinterpret a lot of the Buddha’s positions he tended to undergird them with his own beliefs. 

‘It seems to me you are attached to the idea of killing your ego, good luck. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sherapy said:

‘It seems to me you are attached to the idea of killing your ego, good luck. 

The only way to remove ones ego completely, is to stay still, in mental silence, and feel, be, THAT.

Therefore, there can be no thoughts whatsoever, and no attachments either.

Any thoughts, any fears, any desirers, and the ego rules, and suffering shall follow.

And so, it seems you are attached to your ego..

And seriously..

Good luck with that.

3 hours ago, Sherapy said:

It seems to me you are attached to the idea of killing your ego, good luck. 

...with his bigger ego. 

Let him be. 

~

22 Feb 2011  Dogen's commentary on the koan illumines the same principle informing his teaching that “clear seeing is prajna itself” – here the principle is ...

Baso says, “How can polishing a tile make it into a mirror?” ... terse and deep teaching that goes to the heart of practice in the Soto Zen tradition.

Baso watched what he was doing and asked "Master, what are you doing?" Nangaku answered, "I'm ... Baso said, "How can you make a mirror by...

~

Edited by SHaYap
Lunch break rush
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

The only way to remove ones ego completely, is to stay still, in mental silence, and feel, be, THAT.

Therefore, there can be no thoughts whatsoever, and no attachments either.

Any thoughts, any fears, any desirers, and the ego rules, and suffering shall follow.

And so, it seems you are attached to your ego..

And seriously..

Good luck with that.

Anything without thoughts, fears or desires is, basically, a turnip. Good luck with that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Anything without thoughts, fears or desires is, basically, a turnip. Good luck with that.

Personally, I don't even understand the concept of "clearing your mind", "not thinking of anything" or whatever the similar descriptions.

If I'm awake, I'm always actively thinking of something.

I don't see how it's possible to be  conscious and at the same time, have no thoughts.

It's certainly a paradox to me when people claim to be able to "just be".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Personally, I don't even understand the concept of "clearing your mind", "not thinking of anything" or whatever the similar descriptions.

I don't see how it's possible to be  conscious and at the same time, have no thoughts.

He doesn't even seem to realize he doesn't have to work for any of it. He'll get it all and more when he dies i.e. no thoughts, fears or desires. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

No..

Basically it is Full Conscious Awareness.

Aka, Enlightenment.

And thanks for the good wishes, much appreciated..

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Listen my friend..

Ask yourself, what is observing your own thoughts, the anger, or joy?

It is sometimes called, "The Watcher".

It is the Higher Consciousness.

Sit upon this Watchers Throne.....

And just be.

17 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

He doesn't even seem to realize he doesn't have to work for any of it. He'll get it all and more when he dies i.e. no thoughts, fears or desires. 

As far as one understands..

If one dies with any trace of the ego still in place, then one shall be compelled to take a re-birth, according to ones karma.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Ask yourself, what is observing your own thoughts, the anger, or joy?

I am the only thing observing my thoughts.

I don't understand what you mean by asking if anger or joy is observing my thoughts.

They are emotions and not conscious beings capable of observation.

19 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

It is sometimes called, "The Watcher".

It is the Higher Consciousness.

What is "it" referring to?

20 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

And just be.

Well, I already am. So I am currently being.

"Just" being sounds like being in a vegetative state.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

I don't understand what you mean by asking if anger or joy is observing my thoughts.

If you close your eyes, and meditate, then sooner or later there will be a string of thoughts that cross the mind.

Ask yourself, "What is THAT, that is observing those thoughts...

One may ask the same question when one feels angry, or joyous. "What is THAT, that is observing those emotions?"

When one focuses upon this pure awareness, then this is meditation, thoughts disappear, the ego grows-up, and one finds their way Home.

13 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Not so..

The "just being", being advocated here, is a peaceful state of awareness, awake to the world without need or fear, neither accepting or rejecting..

Just being. 

1 minute ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

I have been practicing Transcendental meditation since the 1970s, 30 years before I began to practice Buddhism. It’s wonderful for rest, relaxation and the issues I have with pain. There have been a few times I have reached a deep state where I felt I was outside myself, and I was some place I have never been, it was very peaceful. But, since the 1970s this has only happened approximately 5 times and I can not make it happen spontaneous or control it in anyway. I wish I had the ability, but I don’t my Korean Teacher is a Monk at a very old Monastery not far from my home in Seosan, Korea  and he calls this iddhi which doesn’t translate well into English but it means beyond. It’s a beautiful thing if it could be controlled but again I am unable to do so.

Peace!:tu: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I have been practicing Transcendental meditation since the 1970s, 30 years before I began to practice Buddhism. It’s wonderful for rest, relaxation and the issues I have with pain. There have been a few times I have reached a deep state where I felt I was outside myself, and I was some place I have never been, it was very peaceful. But, since the 1970s this has only happened approximately 5 times and I can not make it happen spontaneous or control it in anyway. I wish I had the ability, but I don’t my Korean Teacher is a Monk at a very old Monastery not far from my home in Seosan, Korea  and he calls this iddhi which doesn’t translate well into English but it means beyond. It’s a beautiful thing if it could be controlled but again I am unable to do so.

Peace!:tu: 

One cannot control GOD.

Forget TM, for a moment, and focus upon what is THAT, beyond thought, THAT, that watches those thoughts and emotions come and go.

Place your awareness upon THAT place. Its easy if you try..

And every time you slip away into some egoic thought form, then re-focus.

This thoughtless state of being is enlightening the Soul.

And at some point, this Spirit shall manifest within, and make itself known.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

It’s a beautiful thing if it could be controlled but again I am unable to do so.

Sounds interesting. 

I've definitely had what one, but not myself, would call spiritualesque experiences.

But in your described experiences, you are still aware and thinking?

You were aware that you were feeling outside of yourself. You were aware that it was peaceful.

I don't see how that would be possible if you were not thinking about the situation you found yourself in.

I am a pretty calm person externally. I rarely ever raise my voice, I'm not really fidgety and I don't get outwardly excited very easily.

Internally, my mind is usually racing around like crazy. 

But if I want to I can usually slow it down immensely and kind of coast.

I don't "practice" meditating, but I would say it's a similar concept to what I do.

But to reiterate, personally, I don't see it being possible to actively be thinking about nothing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

If you close your eyes, and meditate, then sooner or later there will be a string of thoughts that cross the mind.

Ask yourself, "What is THAT, that is observing those thoughts...

One may ask the same question when one feels angry, or joyous. "What is THAT, that is observing those emotions?"

When one focuses upon this pure awareness, then this is meditation, thoughts disappear, the ego grows-up, and one finds their way Home.

So, I'm god?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Not so..

The "just being", being advocated here, is a peaceful state of awareness, awake to the world without need or fear, neither accepting or rejecting..

Just being. 

I do that all the time.

I don't see what it has to do with a god....

• Like 1

So, I'm god?

All is GOD..

I don't see what it has to do with a god....

That's up to the individual to decide what to call THAT.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Crazy Horse said:

One cannot control GOD.

Forget TM, for a moment, and focus upon what is THAT, beyond thought, THAT, that watches those thoughts and emotions come and go.

Place your awareness upon THAT place. Its easy if you try..

And every time you slip away into some egoic thought form, then re-focus.

This thoughtless state of being is enlightening the Soul.

And at some point, this Spirit shall manifest within, and make itself known.

Please in my spiritual beliefs there is no God, Omnipotent Deities, Spirits, or even souls there is nothing but a Karmic energy transfer at death that takes place during reincarnation. So respectfully it’s impossible for me to do what you ask however what works for you is great!:)

2 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

All is GOD..

So god is the universe? Or the cosmos?

Everything?

And how do we determine that "everything" is a being, in the sense that it thinks and observes?

3 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

That's up to the individual to decide what to call THAT.

Well, in my understanding "everything" would be called the cosmos.

Or our local presentation of the universe.

The word god, to me, implies a being, a thinking agent.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Please in my spiritual beliefs there is no God, Omnipotent Deities, Spirits, or even souls there is nothing but a Karmic energy transfer at death that takes place during reincarnation. So respectfully it’s impossible for me to do what you ask however what works for you is great!:)

Your beliefs are limiting your ability to even try to meditate differently...?

Really?

That's not cool mate..

I don't believe there would be one Buddhist Master who would advocate such an unholy ideal.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Sounds interesting. 

I've definitely had what one, but not myself, would call spiritualesque experiences.

But in your described experiences, you are still aware and thinking?

You were aware that you were feeling outside of yourself. You were aware that it was peaceful.

I don't see how that would be possible if you were not thinking about the situation you found yourself in.

I am a pretty calm person externally. I rarely ever raise my voice, I'm not really fidgety and I don't get outwardly excited very easily.

Internally, my mind is usually racing around like crazy. 

But if I want to I can usually slow it down immensely and kind of coast.

I don't "practice" meditating, but I would say it's a similar concept to what I do.

But to reiterate, personally, I don't see it being possible to actively be thinking about nothing.

Yes I was not only aware of my surroundings I was somewhere I had never been or ever seen after the experiences. During meditation I am always focused on a thought, whether it’s to easy my pain, or to correct something I am trying to change. However, I am beyond outside stimulation, and if something occurs in my surrounding, it’s like being shaken a wake when in deep sleep starling. So yes I am thinking and focusing on specific thoughts.

• Thanks 2

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked