Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Enlightenment by virtuous conduct alone...

Ajay0

2 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Your beliefs are limiting your ability to even try to meditate differently...?

Really?

That's not cool mate..

I don't believe there would be one Buddhist Master who would advocate such an unholy ideal.

To be very honest and respectful to you, I must ask you how many Buddhist masters have you trained under?

Based in your comments none, I have been training at a temple that is more than 800 years old and my teacher in a senior monk in charge of many Temples in the area I live in, he is 89 years old and I have been training there since 2014.

By your comments your experience is not one of tolerance and from your comments it’s obvious you are confused and have received no real training anywhere please correct me if I am incorrect!:)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

And how do we determine that "everything" is a being, in the sense that it thinks and observes?

The word god, to me, implies a being, a thinking agent.

That's a good question..

Because consciousness is the foundation of this whole universe and so nee may call GOD, THAT, or one may use a different name, such as Consciousness, its all one in any case.

Because there is life, and intelligence.

Because one may know and experience THAT for oneself, which is the game-changer, the baptism.

After which there is little, or no doubt.

1 minute ago, Crazy Horse said:

That's a good question..

Because consciousness is the foundation of this whole universe and so nee may call GOD, THAT, or one may use a different name, such as Consciousness, its all one in any case.

Because one may know and experience THAT for oneself, which is the game-changer, the baptism.

I am confused, sorry but it’s true!:unsure:

2 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

To be very honest and respectful to you, I must ask you how many Buddhist masters have you trained under?

Based in your comments none, I have been training at a temple that is more than 800 years old and my teacher in a senior monk in charge of many Temples in the area I live in, he is 89 years old and I have been training there since 2014.

By your comments your experience is not one of tolerance and from your comments it’s obvious you are confused and have received no real training anywhere please correct me if I am incorrect!:)

Does one have to train under a Buddhist Master to know their feelings upon a certain subject?

You told this one, that you couldn't try a different type of meditation, because you have different spiritual beliefs.

With all due respect, if you cannot see how utterly ridiculous this stance is...?

And, if you want to just dismiss some-one, instead of debating and talking things through, then you have already "lost" the conversation.

My training is irrelevant.

If you wish to discuss ideas then all's well, but trying to belittle some-one is just weak, and very egoic.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I am confused, sorry but it’s true!:unsure:

What are you confused about?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

That's a good question..

I see consciousness as an extension, or attribute of the brain.

I don't know of any evidence that suggests the universe is conscious or how we could even go about detecting that.

I think all human consciousnesses are separate from one another. They are mostly similar, but not a single entity.

I don't see the unification you seem to be referring to.

You just keep asserting things and not backing them up with anything tangible.

You seem to be saying :

"Life exists and some of it is conscious, therefore god exists."

I don't follow your reasoning.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

That's a good question..

Actually the foundation of everything is Samsara, everything in the universe is emptiness, without substance, including humans, because there is nothing that is independent of anything else. Everything is by nature interdependent, hence empty of its own existence. From this follows the Buddhist doctrine of the Anatman, the absence or non-existence of a permanent self. This practice allows us to shed our illusions, to purify our karma, and ultimately, without even wanting to, without desire, leads us towards liberation in the cycle of rebirth and death.

Once our Karma is purified enlightenment can be found and Nirvana is attained, this is the only way to stop the cycle of death and rebirth.:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

No..

Basically it is Full Conscious Awareness.

Aka, Enlightenment.

And thanks for the good wishes, much appreciated..

If aware of nothingness is enlightenment, I'll pass. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

As far as one understands..

If one dies with any trace of the ego still in place, then one shall be compelled to take a re-birth, according to ones karma.

Theology a-la-carte is an amusing pastime.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Does one have to train under a Buddhist Master to know their feelings upon a certain subject?

You told this one, that you couldn't try a different type of meditation, because you have different spiritual beliefs.

With all due respect, if you cannot see how utterly ridiculous this stance is...?

And, if you want to just dismiss some-one, instead of debating and talking things through, then you have already "lost" the conversation.

If you wish to discuss ideas then all's well, but trying to belittle some-one is just weak, and very egoic.

First you say that no Buddhist Master would advocate my approach and I quote “  I don't believe there would be one Buddhist Master who would advocate such an unholy ideal. So how can you say what I just quoted without any training by a Buddhist Master, it is pretty obviously a complete contradiction that violates basic ethics. :unsure:

There is nothing to win here, those comments are purely Egocentric and nothing more. To tell another their spirituality and beliefs is ridiculous is not only proof of a lack of center it is also foolish by nature! If your training was truly irrelevant you would not attempt to force others to believe your concept of things like you have done to me in this thread.

I have asked no one to follow my beliefs or denigrated anyones beliefs the only one doing that here is you. I am not offended by your comments or actions here at all. Your actions only prove to all who read this you lack of understanding of the Buddhist Philosophies. 

E1225DEE-4482-4ECE-8738-7E38ABBCC76C.jpeg

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I have been practicing Transcendental meditation since the 1970s, 30 years before I began to practice Buddhism. It’s wonderful for rest, relaxation and the issues I have with pain. There have been a few times I have reached a deep state where I felt I was outside myself, and I was some place I have never been, it was very peaceful. But, since the 1970s this has only happened approximately 5 times and I can not make it happen spontaneous or control it in anyway. I wish I had the ability, but I don’t my Korean Teacher is a Monk at a very old Monastery not far from my home in Seosan, Korea  and he calls this iddhi which doesn’t translate well into English but it means beyond. It’s a beautiful thing if it could be controlled but again I am unable to do so.

Peace!:tu: 

Indeed, there is a well known saying in meditative circles. “You get what you get when you meditate.”

CH is new to this. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Not so..

The "just being", being advocated here, is a peaceful state of awareness, awake to the world without need or fear, neither accepting or rejecting..

Just being. 

So what I've been encouraging you to do.

6 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Maybe it is a polite way of saying why not get some training it certainly couldn’t hurt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

That's a good question..

This is a mighty big claim got any evidence for it? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Yes I was not only aware of my surroundings I was somewhere I had never been or ever seen after the experiences. During meditation I am always focused on a thought, whether it’s to easy my pain, or to correct something I am trying to change. However, I am beyond outside stimulation, and if something occurs in my surrounding, it’s like being shaken a wake when in deep sleep starling. So yes I am thinking and focusing on specific thoughts.

My experiences include a settling of thoughts on their own but they do not disappear all together. The mind does what it does.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

This is a mighty big claim got any evidence for it? 

Why ask such a silly question? You know the answer is no 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Why ask such a silly question? You know the answer is no 

The objective is to ask questions as a way to challenge and loosen and explore the grip of ingrained beliefs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

The objective is to ask questions as a way to challenge and loosen and explore the grip of ingrained beliefs. 

Understandable. However I have yet to see it produce good results. Typically seeing the one asked anchor down into their established paradigm.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Understandable. However I have yet to see it produce good results. Typically seeing the one asked anchor down into their established paradigm.

I think it is a process often a long one. If nothing else it is reminds me to do the same. Thank you for your feedback.

7 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

First you say that no Buddhist Master would advocate my approach and I quote “  I don't believe there would be one Buddhist Master who would advocate such an unholy ideal. So how can you say what I just quoted without any training by a Buddhist Master, it is pretty obviously a complete contradiction that violates basic ethics. :unsure:

There is nothing to win here, those comments are purely Egocentric and nothing more. To tell another their spirituality and beliefs is ridiculous is not only proof of a lack of center it is also foolish by nature! If your training was truly irrelevant you would not attempt to force others to believe your concept of things like you have done to me in this thread.

I have asked no one to follow my beliefs or denigrated anyones beliefs the only one doing that here is you. I am not offended by your comments or actions here at all. Your actions only prove to all who read this you lack of understanding of the Buddhist Philosophies. 

E1225DEE-4482-4ECE-8738-7E38ABBCC76C.jpeg

Much gratitude for your posts and sharing your thoughts.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sherapy said:

I think it is a process often a long one. If nothing else it is reminds me to do the same. Thank you for your feedback.

I have nothing to believe in. So to me all beliefs are opinions and should be treated as such.  

None of us will chance CH's mind. 

None of us will accomplish anything really productive in this thread.

People believe what they wish to believe regardless of the truth of it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SHaYap said:

...with his bigger ego. 

Let him be. 

~

~

Thank you my friend, excellent add too. :wub:

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

I have nothing to believe in. So to me all beliefs are opinions and should be treated as such.  

None of us will chance CH's mind. 

None of us will accomplish anything really productive in this thread.

People believe what they wish to believe regardless of the truth of it. 

I couldn’t change CH’s mind even if I wanted too, what he does or doesn’t do is on him. I have found this thread to be interesting and fruitful and many of the contributions interesting. You have added a lot of good stuff too, thank you for that. But, I can appreciate having had enough too. 

8 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

If aware of nothingness is enlightenment, I'll pass. 

I would add it is more about approaching life with a clear head more than anything else. 

• Like 2

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked