Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Enlightenment by virtuous conduct alone...

Ajay0

3 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I don’t think he does either. 

Sheri, take a look at Posts 319 and 320 please give me your opinion!:tu:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

lol Thats what I've been saying for  a decade here

However, every self aware intelligence either creates a purpose for itself, or  it ceases to exist.   (just choosing to live is constructing a meaning )

Hence the meaning you give to your existence is extremely important, and will direct and shape your entire life  It may well shape the lives of many others, and make the world a slightly better place )(or you can harm others and make the world worse, if that is your chosen purpose) or you can simply live as a parasite, contributing nothing, and consuming the work and efforts of others .

Your actions can reverberate  for centuries, or even longer in certain cases, but generally they will affect the world for at least  as long as anyone who knew you lives.   

Well lucky for you, you have me to clean you up. :P

Well MW one can take this further and explore not attaching to meaning at all in mindfulness it is labeled Beginners Mind. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Sheri, take a look at Posts 319 and 320 please give me your opinion!:tu:

Okay.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Its certainly true that one doesn’t need to no every single Buddhist Master to learn anything, one will do. Because without instruction the Dharma Sutras are very difficult to understand at least for me. You see I need help to understand the interpretations as they are written, so that I am able to use critical thinking to form what I believe and what I do not choose to believe. It’s not because of my language skills, I speak 4 languages and one is Korean, it is because of the way the interpretations are written and translated from language to language over the last 2500 years.

Please don’t associate me with anything, you know nothing about me,:unsure: and the only person in this conversation who is responding in a manner that shows they are unwilling or unable to control their Ego is you. Sadly you prove this post after post and page after page, now it’s possible you do not understand what Ego is and how it manifests when one speaks or writes. If I may make a suggestion, maybe you should look up the definition familiarize yourself with it and instead of commenting to me you should go back through this thread and reread your own posts.:)

7DB511F6-3CAF-4884-8395-4F821BD108AE.jpeg

BA76BEA7-EA9C-44A7-BEF4-8E1B3331D5EC.jpeg

Based on what I have learned my resource is Mindfulness Based Therapy rooted in Science, ( To be candid, I am not interested in anything supernatural or woo, without evidence) none the less yes, a great way to gauge an ability to set aside the ego is in the use of I, me, my.   

I like your quote it encapsulates acceptance, another staple of mindfulness. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

You didn't really read my post carefully did you? I said 

Now this is  only truly understandable  through a personal experience/ gnosis or enlightenment. 

It is not something easily proven until you experience it,   but it is as real as the power of love.

Of course i have evidences, but they are not transferrable to you. 

I have evidences that love exists also, but unless you  experience it for yourself, I can't  prove its existence to you  Even if you have felt love I cant prove that i have 

Of course there a re some demonstrable evidences resulting from the linking of minds 

In my case it is an abilty to find lost and stolen property, to extend  my consciousness beyond my body, (more so in my youth)  and some times to read ,minds  These are all "proven" abilities based on results  witnessed  by many other people  

The appropriate response is no you don’t.  :P

Your opinion is duly noted and dismissed on the grounds it has no evidence at this time.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good night everyone, Crazy Horse has finally worn me out, it’s 11:35 pm here in South Korea!:D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Good night everyone, Crazy Horse has finally worn me out, it’s 11:35 pm here in South Korea!:D

Hopefully, it leads to some sleep for you:wub:

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Hopefully, it leads to some sleep for you:wub:

That would be wonderful, thanks Sheri!:tu:

But, I will most likely be back in 3 or 4 hours, maybe 5 if I am lucky!:D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

That would be wonderful, thanks Sheri!:tu:

But, I will most likely be back in 3 or 4 hours, maybe 5 if I am lucky!:D

:wub:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

In my case it is an abilty to find lost and stolen property,

By telling people to look for their car keys in a place that most people would look (in the car), only to find them where they would would likely be in the car (on the floor)? Yes I bet you were the talk of the town after that one. Did the mayor of Port Lincoln also arrive by limousine and ask to shake your hand?

:lol:

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

By telling people to look for their car keys in a place that most people would look (in the car), only to find them where they would would likely be in the car (on the floor)? Yes I bet you were the talk of the town after that one. Did the mayor of Port Lincoln also arrive by limousine and ask to shake your hand?

:lol:

I thought something similar no mind reading even needed even if it was possible to access someone’s mind/memories like the claim.  Of course one would look in the car first. Then, even if she couldn’t find her keys, one can call a locksmith and get a new one made on the spot. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

33120E79-5928-42AE-B78E-46D24F5D15A5.jpeg

0C1AA366-81B1-4C61-9A7F-5EC354DB6B40.jpeg

“When you are just as you are, through and through, there there is enlightenment“ ~Suzuki

The hardest part of this journey is to be okay with oneself ( shadow included) and when one is it can be liberating or feel as if one has set down a lot of baggage. 

“When you are caught by something, you will try to sell it to others.  "Buddhism is such a wonderful teaching!  [Laughs.]  Why don't you join us?"  At that time you are already somehow intoxicated by it.”  ~Suzuki

In mindfulness, the third quote is labeled as overselling or under the influence of a delusion. All that is required is to accept this ( let it be) and go from there. Feedback is such a gift IMHO. It sure can help. 

My two cents is there really isn’t right or wrong just opportunities to explore deeper or recognize one’s limitations and work from there. Yet, when one is limited it can show up as argumentative, dogmatic and unable to connect type behavior and it is a great strategy to let this person be.  In the practice of self awareness, one would be grateful for the feedback and one can always disregard it. Lots of folks have a perfectionist complex to work through. 

‘’Love your posts they inspire me to go deeper. Thank you. 

Your thoughts?

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

I thought something similar no mind reading even needed even if it was possible to access someone’s mind/memories like the claim. 

Lol it was basically insulting the intelligences of many people (the school/townspeople) by making up such a dumb story. Yeah, as if a person helping a young student find their car keys based on common sense would create a legend that would spread throughout the town.

Give me a f!cking break. Just when I think the stories can't become more cringe-inducing, alas I am surprised.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Alright crazy horse do you really want ego death?

Pick a room in your house. Place plywood over the windows, secure it tightly. Rip up any carpet. Make sure there is an overhead light source. Paint this rood white. Tip to bottom. The place a comfortable chair against the wall where the door is. Drape this with a white sheet. In the center of this room put a small table of 1 foot square box. Either paint it white. Make sure you are wearing white when you enter this room. Now take a boiled egg or ping pong ball and paint it black. Place the egg/ball on the center table. Go into this room each and every single day for as long as able. Stare at the egg/ball. Do not waiver from this daily practice. 

• Like 3

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

This is a miracle worthy of any GOD.

But if you, or anyone else, can reasonably prove otherwise, then please do.

Hi Crazy Horse

No one can prove there is a god so there is no need to prove that one does not exist it is a personal choice and several members here will and have said that in this instance I don't know is a satisfactory response. What we do have are structured religious constructs that are built around a philosophy that is based on faith and not verifiable data.

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Belittling somebody, without even trying to debate them, is pretty poor.

Hi Crazy Horse

You have been involved in various threads for years and have not really defined your belief system to any great degree. In part why it is difficult to engage you properly is due to the lack of structure of your belief system as it is comprised of bits and pieces of several different and at times conflicting philosophies. Without knowing what specific parts of each of these philosophies you have incorporated it is vague what you actually believe in. You reject the old testament of the bible and not all parts of the new testament then you throw in bits and pieces of Buddhism that is obvious that you do not understand the context that they were given in.

Not sure if you are aware of this but in several books in the bible there is the disclaimer that anything added to or subtracted from the teaching will be added to or subtracted for your judgment. By adding another religious philosophy to your claimed Christian construct you have broken one or more of the 10 commandments like bearing false witness or allowing the teachings of another philosophy to the word of god (Thou shalt not have other gods before me).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

That's a logical conclusion until you experience the reality :)

Most humans a re trapped within an isolated mind, and truly and logically believe that is all there is, and  all that there can be.

But it is not true. 

The human mind  is a living, dynamic, self directed  and purposeful, form of energy  Thus it  can connect to similar forms of energy in  the universal consciousness and, via that, to any/all other consciousnesses  

Now this is  only truly understandable  through a personal experience/ gnosis or enlightenment. 

It is not something easily proven until you experience it,   but it is as real as the power of love.

And as powerful and effective. 

EVERYTHING changes with this connection.  not just your understanding  and knowledge of the nature of self/ non self, and  of the universe, but  your understanding of the interconnectedness of everything.  You understand the nature of mind,  reality, perception, what is important and what is not, and how to be happy and content  no matter your material state of existence.  

In this connectivity you  understand that you have always been a part of "god" (the universal consciousness and its material manifestations)  and that "god" has always been  a part of you 

If you are lucky, it will also confer physical/practical abilities on you, just as being able to speak/think,  does   

People from  all cultures and ages describe this experience even if sometimes in different words and with different understandings  

here is one form of understanding i goggled complexly a t random.

https://insighttimer.com/blog/what-happens-when-you-open-your-third-eye/

here is a quite different description

What spiritual enlightenment or self-realization does is, it liberates you from the hedonic treadmill. Because you actually reach the completion or ultimate fulfillment that you have been searching for. Suddenly, the psychological time stops. You are not looking forward to the future anymore. So you neither search fulfillment in worldly affairs nor search enlightenment. Because every search is searching something in the future. At self-realization, the past and the future becomes collapsed in the present. You do not even feel like you have travelled all the way through time to reach that place. You feel like you have been always there. Do you think you can imagine this state? No, you can’t!

BUT (my words) you can experience it, know it, and feel it .

You also lose the psychological boundaries between you and the existence. Normally, you feel a difference between being alone and being in a room with another person. You feel it in your bones because your consciousness is trapped inside an idea of being a person or an entity that is distinct from the ‘others’. But after self-realization, you no longer sense the ‘other’ this way! The psychological wall that stands between you and the other breaks and melts away, leaving you in an ocean of oneness. This is what they call as oneness of God.

https://shanmugamp.org/2019/12/21/what-does-it-feel-like-to-be-spiritually-enlightened/

MW, you are describing empathy it is the ability to connect and understand the experiences, feeling and thoughts of others which then inspires one to help in some way. 

For ex: With Parkinson’s many lose the ability to cognitively hold onto thought as the disease progresses it is difficult for the person to hold their end of a conversation the words literally disappear and then this is further complicated by the lack of dopamine which over time contributes to weakened vocal cords so on top of thoughts disappearing a person with PD is hard to hear because the vocal folds have weakened so they whisper or talk softly as a result. At this point, I am fairly confident you can identify and even understand that this can be incredibly frustrating for the person and those who are caring for them.

Enter empathy: which invokes active listening skills, an ability to be vulnerable to others,  it inspires the curiosity to get into and walk in others shoes, to find common ground and exercise a proactive approach. Empathy is the sense that we are all connected or in this together. We connect with each other in large part due to empathy, also in compassion, kindness and sympathy.

Using your ex: helping the lady find her keys is a good example of empathy in action. You could identify and understand losing keys so you in essence retraced her steps mentally and in doing so helped. This is a common expression of empathy. 

You prefer undergirding all your tales with “god” gave you a special talent when in reality it is good ole everyday empathy common to humans and animals too. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Sherapy said:

“When you are just as you are, through and through, there there is enlightenment“ ~Suzuki

The hardest part of this journey is to be okay with oneself ( shadow included) and when one is it can be liberating or feel as if one has set down a lot of baggage. 

“When you are caught by something, you will try to sell it to others.  "Buddhism is such a wonderful teaching!  [Laughs.]  Why don't you join us?"  At that time you are already somehow intoxicated by it.”  ~Suzuki

In mindfulness, the third quote is labeled as overselling or under the influence of a delusion. All that is required is to accept this ( let it be) and go from there. Feedback is such a gift IMHO. It sure can help. 

My two cents is there really isn’t right or wrong just opportunities to explore deeper or recognize one’s limitations and work from there. Yet, when one is limited it can show up as argumentative, dogmatic and unable to connect type behavior and it is a great strategy to let this person be.  In the practice of self awareness, one would be grateful for the feedback and one can always disregard it. Lots of folks have a perfectionist complex to work through. 

‘’Love your posts they inspire me to go deeper. Thank you. 

Your thoughts?

Sheri first allow me say sincerely, inspiration is a seed that can grow into a beautiful flower if it is given consideration and is properly nurtured and once it blooms it is inspirational to all who are lucky enough to be exposed to it. The only form of the Buddhist Philosophy I ever considered was what my wife introduced me too throughout our marriage. She never attempted to introduce me to it directly, she only practiced her own spirituality and because I was interested in all things foreign to me like a child is I asked her to explain her beliefs. As time went by I became interested in the Buddha’s teachings and I began to expand my knowledge of the Philosophy Andy over the last 35 years I have reach the point I am currently at today

But in all sincerity until our daughters death and our subsequent move to South Korea in 2014, I had never truly practiced the Philosophy. Once here I was surrounded by the culture and awash in the Philosophy, which permeates all aspects of life here and is also a daily feature of existence here. Until I was fortunate enough to meet you here in this forum I never looked beyond the current spirituality I practiced even though I knew it existed. When it comes to mindfulness I am able to see a common blending of our two philosophies that will only give strength to the current philosophy I am learning.

The quotes by Suzuki above are thought provoking and inspirational, however I am not familiar with him or her!:D The only master of mindfulness I have been exposed to is Thich Nhat Hanh, after our conversations I began to consider the way of mindfulness so I began to do some research and I stumbled upon him. I don’t know how well known he is, but to me his thoughts, concepts and ideas are inspirational.  I also discovered that sadly he was exiled from Vietnam until shortly before his death, but thankfully he was allowed to finally return to his people.

He was a very inspirational, and a very thought provoking individual and after discovering his addition to all Buddhist Philosophies I was astounded and hooked. But Sheri none of that would have ever occurred without your influence on me and for that you have my heart felt gratitude.:nw: Sheri I agree with your ideas and thoughts above, and honestly you are like the seed I mentioned above in all  honesty and that has been your effect on me!:tu:

Below are a few of my favorite Quotes by Thich Nhat Hanh,

Peace Sheri, but most of all thank you for your consideration of me and my thoughts!:yes:

A8E6F7E0-AA03-4F1A-9239-407D6CE5F74A.jpeg

BE5EC87F-246F-4842-9989-A690264BA04C.png

98BBC22F-AF19-4B3D-B7B4-3C73EBA89C6A.jpeg

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Sheri first allow me say sincerely, inspiration is a seed that can grow into a beautiful flower if it is given consideration and is properly nurtured and once it blooms it is inspirational to all who are lucky enough to be exposed to it. The only form of the Buddhist Philosophy I ever considered was what my wife introduced me too throughout our marriage. She never attempted to introduce me to it directly, she only practiced her own spirituality and because I was interested in all things foreign to me like a child is I asked her to explain her beliefs. As time went by I became interested in the Buddha’s teachings and I began to expand my knowledge of the Philosophy Andy over the last 35 years I have reach the point I am currently at today

But in all sincerity until our daughters death and our subsequent move to South Korea in 2014, I had never truly practiced the Philosophy. Once here I was surrounded by the culture and awash in the Philosophy, which permeates all aspects of life here and is also a daily feature of existence here. Until I was fortunate enough to meet you here in this forum I never looked beyond the current spirituality I practiced even though I knew it existed. When it comes to mindfulness I am able to see a common blending of our two philosophies that will only give strength to the current philosophy I am learning.

The quotes by Suzuki above are thought provoking and inspirational, however I am not familiar with him or her!:D The only master of mindfulness I have been exposed to is Thich Nhat Hanh, after our conversations I began to consider the way of mindfulness so I began to do some research and I stumbled upon him. I don’t know how well known he is, but to me his thoughts, concepts and ideas are inspirational.  I also discovered that sadly he was exiled from Vietnam until shortly before his death, but thankfully he was allowed to finally return to his people.

He was a very inspirational, and a very thought provoking individual and after discovering his addition to all Buddhist Philosophies I was astounded and hooked. But Sheri none of that would have ever occurred without your influence on me and for that you have my heart felt gratitude.:nw: Sheri I agree with your ideas and thoughts above, and honestly you are like the seed I mentioned above in all  honesty and that has been your effect on me!:tu:

Below are a few of my favorite Quotes by Thich Nhat Hanh,

Peace Sheri, but most of all thank you for your consideration of me and my thoughts!:yes:

A8E6F7E0-AA03-4F1A-9239-407D6CE5F74A.jpeg

BE5EC87F-246F-4842-9989-A690264BA04C.png

98BBC22F-AF19-4B3D-B7B4-3C73EBA89C6A.jpeg

Awww, thank you and ditto to you. I am so delighted and grateful to learn about Buddhism from you. I love Thich Nhat Hahn I can relate to him deeply. Truthfully, it is so fun to have someone to share Mindfulness and Buddhism with. 

Thank you for your posts. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sherapy said:

:wub:

Well today is a great day, I got about 5 hour’s of sleep last night and I am ready for another beautiful and wonderful day!:sk:D

Peace Sheri!:tu:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well today is a great day, I got about 5 hour’s of sleep last night and I am ready for another beautiful and wonderful day!:sk:D

Peace Sheri!:tu:

Yay! 5 hours that is reason for celebration. :wub:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Awww, thank you and ditto to you. I am so delighted and grateful to learn about Buddhism from you. I love Thich Nhat Hahn. Wonderful reading. Truthfully, it is so fun to have someone to share Mindfulness and Buddhism with. 

Thank you for your posts. 

I totally agree, and this shared practice is what Buddha had in mind from the conception of the Buddhist Philosophies, and it’s the same for his disciples ( Buddhist Masters ) that have followed their teachers intentions to this very day!:tu:

5 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Yay! 5 hours that is reason for celebration. :wub:

Yes it truly is, thanks!:D

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked