Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Enlightenment by virtuous conduct alone...

Ajay0

12 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I think you two should become Partners and live together, that would make you both complete!:yes:

Already got a life partner :) 

I think that, like most people, we would end up arguing over minor differences, rather than celebrating the similarities, or things in common. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Every time you use the word God within the context of a discussion of Buddhist beliefs you are mixing Christianity with Buddhism. Go back and read your comments you do it frequently, there is one example!:yes: You also continue to use the word soul, there is another example!:yes:

Hope that helps!:yes:

In reality we all comprehend our world through our own eyes  Sometimes we see different things, sometimes we just have different  terms for the same thing

IMO (perhaps because  you are new to Buddhism and very interested in it, ) you see the world only through Buddhist eyes. CH tends to see it through Christian ones IMO there is only one physical reality but billions of individual realities   The ancient shaman, the middle ages monk, the modern scientologist  or urantia follower all exist in the same physical reality, yet comprehend it through different world views This is true for material and spiritual comprehension/perception 

In short i see nothing wrong in hybridising or picking and choosing the best of all faiths from  shamanism through to the most modern beliefs An individual should shape and form their individual spiritual beliefs and practices, which work best for them, rather than simply adopting an existing one (but as i said that is  just my take on it.  I was raised secular humanist which makes it easier for me.

I see "god"  and soul in the Buddha's teachings, but with different names and slightly different characteristics  

11 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

He is neither Christian nor Buddhist, but practices his own unique and personal syncretic religion, drawing on multiple, often contradictory, religious sources. You might call it a designer religion, tailored to his own particular needs. He ministers to a congregation of one, himself.

And what is wrong with that ? 

If it works best for him, then it's the best faith for him.

If it is how he makes sense of his spiritual experiences then again, that is good

Sometimes an individuals life experiences are so unusual that t he /she cant simply fit into an existing faith, but must build one to match what the y know from  experience to be true

Oh yes, come to think about it, that's how every religion began :)   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Perhaps the most egotistical thing is to think one can connect to God, maybe even enlightenment is just as egotistical?!? 

Why do you feel like that ? 

Anyone can connect to " god" even if it is a god they designed and built themselves in their mind.

Such constructs and faith in them serve important evolutionary purposes.

However I see no reason why every human being can't  (potentially) connect to the universal consciousness 

9 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Already got a life partner :) 

I think that, like most people, we would end up arguing over minor differences, rather than celebrating the similarities, or things in common. 

I am very glad you do, loneliness is a terrible thing to live a life of. I am also aware of your wife’s situation and I am sincerely and truly sorry she suffers so very much. My wife and I had a wonderful and Beautiful daughter who we lost in 2012, after she caught Encephalitis at age 3 and half years old she was incapable of every being a normal child again it caused massive brain damage that took away all normal functions of speech, and the ability to walk or to care for herself. But we brought her home and cared for her as if nothing happened and we had the joy of spending our lives with her until 2012 when her suffering ended.

Those moments while painful were so much more rewarding than most could ever imagine because my wife and I were certain her quality of life up until the end was the best that she could have ever received under the circumstances and while she could not tell us, we believe she was aware of the love we had for her up until her final day. So I truly understand the challenges you and wife are going through and I hope she either gets better or is given the best quality of life and love possibly!

Peace!:tu:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Two peas in a pod Memes

Dam coffee just shot out of my nose, please stop it Pleaseee my sweet lord!:lol:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I am very glad you do, loneliness is a terrible thing to live a life of. I am also aware of your wife’s situation and I am sincerely and truly sorry she suffers so very much. My wife and I had a wonderful and Beautiful daughter who we lost in 2012, after she caught Encephalitis at age 3 and half years old she was incapable of every being a normal child again it caused massive brain damage that took away all normal functions of speech, and the ability to walk or to care for herself. But we brought her home and cared for her as if nothing happened and we had the joy of spending our lives with her until 2012 when her suffering ended.

Those moments while painful were so much more rewarding than most could ever imagine because my wife and I were certain her quality of life up until the end was the best that she could have ever received under the circumstances and while she could not tell us, we believe she was aware of the love we had for her up until her final day. So I truly understand the challenges you and wife are going through and I hope she either gets better or is given the best quality of life and love possibly!

Peace!:tu:

Thanks Manwon.

Love and caring  make the giver stronger, and  often help us cope with loss and pain. The most rewarding time I ever had in my life was the decade we spent caring for my wife's parents as their Alzheimer's worsened, until each passed away peacefully with us. 

During that time i was working fulltime and we also had a couple of teenagers with children, whom we were caring for   

It should have been hard and tiring given that, most nights for several years, i only had  4 or 5 hours sleep,   but it never was.

It was energising and rewarding 

I've been with my wife for 50 years 

Despite being in severe pain when she moves she never complains and never gets depressed  She is supposed to have a hip replacement around april/may next year, which hopefully will stop the pain and give her back mobility (about 1/3 of her hip joint is completely  "worn"  away)  

You did the right thing by your child, and this reflects in your  attitude and   the reward you gained from  doing so 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Thanks Manwon.

Love and caring  make the giver stronger, and  often help us cope with loss and pain. The most rewarding time I ever had in my life was the decade we spent caring for my wife's parents as their Alzheimer's worsened, until each passed away peacefully with us. 

During that time i was working fulltime and we also had a couple of teenagers with children, whom we were caring for   

It should have been hard and tiring given that, most nights for several years, i only had  4 or 5 hours sleep,   but it never was.

It was energising and rewarding 

I've been with my wife for 50 years 

Despite being in severe pain when she moves she never complains and never gets depressed  She is supposed to have a hip replacement around april/may next year, which hopefully will stop the pain and give her back mobility (about 1/3 of her hip joint is completely  "worn"  away)  

You did the right thing by your child, and this reflects in your  attitude and   the reward you gained from  doing so 

Well thank you very much for the kind words, but honestly what else can Parents do, it all comes down to until death do we part. My wife also had a Total hip replacement and they also had to reconstruct her pelvis. She was 40 at the time, so the doctors told us to wait because Hip replacements normally only last around 15 years. Well my wife is as tough as they come, so she waited until she leaning to the left when she walked, and then finally her femur pushed through and fractured her Pelvis.

It was amazing though, she was out of bed and walking with assistance two days after surgery. Within a month and a half, she was walking normally without a cane or any assistance, and the only Narcotic pain medication she every took was during the first two days after surgery. It’s truly amazing the pain women can endure compared to us chicken **** men, I just could not believe it, if I had not seen it! We were out slow dancing when her femur fractured her pelvis, I heard it break, and she started to fall. I caught her carried her out to our car, and headed fir the hospital, I will never forget the sound that fracture made that night man.:cry:

Anyway, I sincerely hope things go well for your wife and that everything’s turns out great for you both!:tu:

19 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Yes. I am aware that you think “repression” is some kind of gnosis.:P I am glad you have some kind of coping system beyond that we have nothing to discuss. 

I am interested in science based Mindfulness and while your opinion is duly noted to borrow from a friend ZAP-ZAP, in other words I am leaving the discussion as it isn’t about mindfulness. 

All the best. 

This is the second time today coffee came through my nose, please stop it Zap-Zap!!!!!!!!!!:tsu::lol:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

That’s actually the first thing you have said that makes sense, but what you don’t realize it is blessing your giving the man gift. Please put me on ignore also, Hell put everyone on ignore because you live in a lonely realm where the only one who understands you is you!:(

If you no longer wish to communicate with this one, then that is entirely within your own hands..

But, with you there is some semblance of light, and some desire to understand.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

You don’t understand, simple put everyone posting here sees you doing it and are confused by your attempts at doing it and trying to package with a new wrapper as some knew concept. For instance if you polish and polish a turd and it becomes shiny after much effort, no matter how you wrap and present it, will Always be a turd!:)

What is so bad about mixing Buddha Dharma with the Dharma of the Christ?

Tich Nhat Hahn does it all the time.

3 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

What is so bad about mixing Buddha Dharma with the Dharma of the Christ?

Tich Nhat Hahn does it all the time.

You are very confused, please ask questions if you dont understand and no more name calling!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Every time you use the word God within the context of a discussion of Buddhist beliefs you are mixing Christianity with Buddhism. Go back and read your comments you do it frequently, there is one example!:yes: You also continue to use the word soul, there is another example!:yes:

Hope that helps!:yes:

I use the word GOD is a Universal sense, not particular within the Buddhist context, although Buddha never deined GOD, He just never spoke about THAT. At least as far as one can see..

Read, "The Buddha and the Christ by Tich Nhat Hahn.

9 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

If you no longer wish to communicate with this one, then that is entirely within your own hands..

But, with you there is some semblance of light, and some desire to understand.

Please let me help you understand something, your not my teacher, your not someone I look up, and we are not related. I am not confused in any way about spiritually based upon your concept of trying to mix philosophies your the one who needs help!:yes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crazy Horse said:

I use the word GOD is a Universal sense, not particular within the Buddhist context, although Buddha never deined GOD, He just never spoke about THAT. At least as far as one can see..

Read, "The Buddha and the Christ by Tich Nhat Hahn.

Your confused, have you ever read the actual Dharma Sutras?

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

He is neither Christian nor Buddhist, but practices his own unique and personal syncretic religion, drawing on multiple, often contradictory, religious sources. You might call it a designer religion, tailored to his own particular needs. He ministers to a congregation of one, himself.

But there is only a congregation of One..

But please, if you feel that there are contradictions, then just ask a question..

6 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

But please, if you feel that there are contradictions, then just ask a question..

You dont have the answers to any question I need an answer to, your logic is flawed and you have no concept of Buddhism. Let me be clear you dont not even anything aboutTich Nhat Hahn.Tich Nhat Hahn was master of the Mindfullness Philosophy, I do not practice it. Please ask questions before your continue to obvious show your lack of knowledge on the Subject, however I will bet I still understand Mindfullness better then you, anyone can use cut and paste. 

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

You dont have the answers to any question I need an answer to, your logic is flawed and you have no concept of Buddhism. Let me be clear you dont not even anything aboutTich Nhat Hahn.Tich Nhat Hahn was master of the Mindfullness Philosophy, I do not practice it. Please ask questions before your continue to obvious show your lack of knowledge on the Subject, however I will bet I still understand Mindfullness better then you, anyone can use cut and paste. 

Don't worry about him let the blind attempt to lead the blind. He has to work through himself first. 

If I have a Buddha question I'll ask you. 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Let’s be very clear about something you can’t read for few minutes like you are doing right now and scratch the surface of the Buddhist Philosophies. If you wish to have an discussion you must be honest, I can see right through you attempts to fabricate information. The only reason you even know the name Tich Nhat Hahn is because I posted memes by him. If you can’t be honest we can’t have a discussion!:yes:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Don't worry about him let the blind attempt to lead the blind. He has to work through himself first. 

If I have a Buddha question I'll ask you. 

Thanks that’s cool, and I will try to answer it but let me be clear I am not an expert only a student!:tu:

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

I need ask no questions as I would rather have questions that can't be answered, rather than answers that can't be questioned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks that’s cool, and I will try to answer it but let me be clear I am not an expert only a student!:tu:

Don't worry I probably won't ask questions about as I'm not interested. The point being is that it is your thing. You are more knowledgeable.

Not the "I read a cool quote once" person in this thread.

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Don't worry I probably won't ask questions about as I'm not interested. The point being is that it is your thing. You are more knowledgeable.

Not the "I read a cool quote once" person in this thread.

The reason I made the comment about my knowledge is be clear and honest that I am not close to expert on the subject! There are some here that forget more then I will every know, I started down the path late in life. The one thing I have that is very valuable concerning the Buddhist Philosophy is access to a Buddhist Master and a Temple not far from my home who agreed to teach me back in late 2014. My wife’s family were members of that Temple going back hundreds of years, my teacher knew my wife when she was a child and honestly that’s the only reason I was excepted as a student.

My wife is from the Yi or Lee family line going back to the kings, and while there are many Lee’s in Korea they don’t come from the same bloodline that wife does.

Thanks for your comments I am glad you are letting the past go, because I hold no grudges it’s all water under a bridge to me!:tu:

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

The reason I made the comment about my knowledge is be clear and honest that I am not close to expert on the subject!

Same applies to my occult knowledge. As I like to put it; I know enough to get me in trouble.

Which might change in 2022.

• Like 2

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • The topic was locked