Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Enlightenment by virtuous conduct alone...

Ajay0

On 1/8/2022 at 12:50 AM, Crazy Horse said:

The Buddha taught that there isn't such a thing as enlightenment?

Use great care at whose feet you sit at. The better questions are ~ are you kinder, are you learning to love, are you more compassionate etc etc. Claiming enlightenment is the earmark of an ego, there is no I, me, or my, such as, “my experience, I am enlightened, I have attained gnosis or this happened to me” etc etc. 
An ego is an ego is an ego. :P

Are there experiences that may happen as a result of mediation, sure, but the rule of thumb or the appropriate response to these experiences is they mean nothing, let them go.

“You get what you get; then let it go…”~Anonymous 

Edited by Sherapy

7 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Use great care at whose feet you sit at. The better questions are ~ are you kinder, are you learning to love, are you more compassionate etc etc. Claiming enlightenment is the earmark of an ego, there is no I, me, or my, such as, “my experience, I am enlightened, I have attained gnosis or this happened to me” etc etc. 

Are there experiences that may happen as a result of mediation, sure, but the rule of thumb or the appropriate response to these experiences is they mean nothing, let them go.

It certainly does take a great amount of ego to go online and brag about your virtues. Exhibitionism is a primary symptom of narcissism.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Abramelin said:

What claim?

CH's claim that no thought is better than any thought.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Thank you Sheri for your concern, but rest assured, I have taken great care, over many years, and so find oneself at the feet of Christ and Buddha, and any person, of any religious background, who I resonate with, before testing their theological ideas, as well.

I have never claimed enlightenment, only that I am trying to realise THAT which is the essence of everyone.

And so nes ego may try to let go of THAT, but it aint gonna happen, ever.

Find the Unmoveable within, and abide with THAT.

7 hours ago, Abramelin said:

He's not the first ... to think that:

https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Thought_is_Your_Enemy

Yup, for certain he's not the first. 

I've been meditating formally for 35 years now and have a tendency to push back against all blanket statements regarding this subject.

Thoughts are not evil or unwanted in and of themselves in my experience, without them, life becomes rather untenable in certain situations.

Balance is beneficial in all things.  Thinking included. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, quiXilver said:

CH's claim that no thought is better than any thought.

Kurt Cobain took a shortcut to nirvana. He doesn't think, at all, anymore.

The other side of Starry starry night... 

[00.47"47]

~

Edited by SHaYap
Image Copyright blocked
  • Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 12:25 AM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Crazy Horse

You have to think to have a thought so why not quit thinking if no thought is better than any thought.

Exactly.

Quit thinking, stop the thoughts, and feel THAT.

20 hours ago, quiXilver said:

No thought is better than thought.

Cute premise, but how would one ever objectively prove such a claim...

Perhaps it depends on the quality of thought, not just the quantity...

This Ground of Being, aka GOD, or simply, THAT, is beyond objectivity and subjectivity.

But if one is seeking proof, then one only has to try this approach.

The Buddha was very clear about how these things must be done for-ones-self, and Christ told us the "Kingdom of GOD is within"..

And btw, I never claimed that this was my original idea, only that there is great benefit in studying different spiritual traditions.

2 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Yup, for certain he's not the first. 

I've been meditating formally for 35 years now and have a tendency to push back against all blanket statements regarding this subject.

Thoughts are not evil or unwanted in and of themselves in my experience, without them, life becomes rather untenable in certain situations.

Balance is beneficial in all things.  Thinking included. 

And there is no greater balance, imo, than abiding in THAT.

No longer accepting, no longer rejecting, only being. This "trick" will keep one in the present moment.

Do you think that a master pianist has to think about what they are doing? Or do you think that because they have practiced so much beforehand, that they can feel their way through?

Here is a guided meditation that may help, especially if you have already been meditating for 35 years.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Exactly.

Quit thinking, stop the thoughts, and feel THAT.

Hi Crazy Horse

i’ll have to think on that for a bit. Not thinking might be counter productive work wise.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

No longer accepting, no longer rejecting, only being. This "trick" will keep one in the present moment.

Do you think that a master pianist has to think about what they are doing? Or do you think that because they have practiced so much beforehand, that they can feel their way through?

Here is a guided meditation that may help, especially if you have already been meditating for 35 years.

Good luck.

?  

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

?  

He's just pushing his brand of Jesus Juice.

Edited by XenoFish

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Might explain some of the things CH post.

One does have to use great care in whose feet they sit at. There are a lot of charlatans. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Crazy Horse

i’ll have to think on that for a bit. Not thinking might be counter productive work wise.

Sure..

Think on it, turn it over in your mind, let it sink-in.

But, if one really wants to work in a co-creative, cultivational way, then clear the mind and feel THAT.

11 hours ago, Sherapy said:

?  

If you have a question then feel free to just ask.

10 hours ago, Sherapy said:

One does have to use great care in whose feet they sit at. There are a lot of charlatans. 

All of them are. There are no true guru's. Just people preaching their own subjective reality tunnel as the "truth". 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Good luck.

Zap - Zap:no:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Interesting take. :D

Interesting and very commercialized what a bunch of bunk!

Peace!:tu:

• Thanks 1

• The topic was locked