Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Bear Lake Monster

Commander CMG

This monster might not have quite the reputation that Loch Ness does, but it's no less terrifying to think about.

The legend of the Bear Lake Monster has roots that date back further than many realize, with the first stories of its existence handed down by the Native Americans who inhabited the land around Bear Lake. The monster might not gain the attention that Loch Ness or Champ, Lake Champlain's resident monster, has, but the belief in its existence was enough to deter Native peoples from nearing the water's edge.

Read More: Link 

• Like 4

Papameter 2.0 Reading

33.3% Unknown Creature     33.4% Creature w/Paranormal Attributes     33.3% All Hoax/Misidentification

Confidence Level: Low

2 hours ago, seanjo said:

Why would something that is not real or is a long dead alligator be terrifying?

People were almost as gullible then as they are now.  How many sightings conspiracy theories and stories get passed around today on the internet?

I will say that being alone far from friends and help back in the woods, you tend to hone your survival skills and notice strange noises and smells.

Hearing strange plops in the night and suddenly smelling a rotten smell  while camped near the shore of a lake might induce you to move further away rather than investigate in the dark.  Release of a methane bubble?  Sure could be.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/gas-cloud-kills-cameroon-villagers

An eruption of lethal gas from Lake Nyos in Cameroon kills nearly 2,000 people and wipes out four villages on August 21, 1986. Carbon dioxide, though ubiquitous in Earth’s atmosphere, can be deadly in large quantities, as was evident in this disaster. Outsiders learned of the disaster when they approached the villages and found animal and human bodies on the ground. The best estimate is that 1,700 people and thousands of cattle died. A subsequent investigation of the lake showed the water level to be four feet lower than what it had previously been. Apparently, carbon dioxide had been accumulating from underground springs and was being held down by the water in the lake. When the billion cubic yards of gas finally burst out, it traveled low to the ground–it is heavier than air–until it dispersed. Lake Nyos must now be constantly monitored for carbon-dioxide accumulation.

Easy to think we are above all that silly superstition now,  until you read some of the totally unbelievable cr** that passes on the net.  We are simply afraid of more esoteric stuff these days

• Like 2

4 hours ago, seanjo said:

Why would something that is not real or is a long dead alligator be terrifying?

There was a case i recall which i will have to paraphrase the hell out of but perhaps someone will recall it,

Few 100 years back they bring an alligator or crocodile to some kingdom, to show off to the king,

It escapes causing havoc and in the village of the common folks its labeled a real Dragon.

I don't know much on the bear lake monster, but I remember I was traumatized when I saw the Lost Tapes episode.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 12:42 PM, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

This monster might not have quite the reputation that Loch Ness does, but it's no less terrifying to think about.

The legend of the Bear Lake Monster has roots that date back further than many realize, with the first stories of its existence handed down by the Native Americans who inhabited the land around Bear Lake. The monster might not gain the attention that Loch Ness or Champ, Lake Champlain's resident monster, has, but the belief in its existence was enough to deter Native peoples from nearing the water's edge.

Read More: Link 

I do know there was one story where Pecos Bill actually wrestled the Bear Lake Monster which took days and won.

Edited by MysteryMike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1