Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Terra Australis being Atlantis - new evidence

Riaan

Terra_Australis_New.jpg.d577a6c27866173b1909456754d10466.jpg

Most of you will probably remember my earlier post several years ago in which I proposed that Terra Australis Incognita was Atlantis. I recently (end of 2019) read Plato's account of Atlantis once again and noticed some key bits of information that I had missed initially. I have, therefore, decided to change the content below accordingly and expanded it substantially.

What’s new:

•  "the whole region of the (is)land lies toward the south, and is sheltered from the north." This directly contradicts Plato’s assertion that Atlantis lay just outside the Strait of Gibraltar (which will be proven to be incorrect below), and essentially states that Atlantis was located in the South, i.e. Atlantis was indeed Terra Australis. Terra Australis lies south of the equator everywhere.
  • Poseidon, the god of the sea, had fallen in love with a maiden who lived on a low mountain which ran through Atlantis’s fabled plain, and had intercourse with her. "Breaking the ground”, …he enclosed the hill in which she dwelt all round, making alternate zones of sea and land. As discussed below, the flooding of the plain is clearly depicted by the Vatican map, and a very likely explanation of how this had happened is now suggested, based on the comments of a modern scientists about the mass of Antarctica and Greenland with its ice caps.
  • The sinking of Atlantis and the Great Flood occurred simultaneously. Although I did refer to this initially, I did not fully grasp its significance at the time. This event could only have happened if a massive comet had struck the earth, effectively making a dent in the crust of the earth and as a result causing worldwide earthquakes and a massive tsunami which flooded the entire world except the very highest regions. I have added numerous examples of legends from all over the world which relate that the earth was first set alight by fire before the Flood arrived, i.e. it was struck by a comet.
  • "Only the bones of the wasted body (remained) ... the mere skeleton of the country being left." This statement is of utmost importance as it implies that we should today be able to get into an aircraft and fly over and identify dry land which must once have formed part of Atlantis. It will be shown that this is indeed the case. 
  • Herodotus’s map of the world shows which areas around the Mediterranean were defined as ancient Libya and Asia, the size of Atlantis, being larger than those two combined, was so huge that it could never fitted in between the Strait of Gibraltar and North America. However, Terra Australis Incognita as shown on the medieval maps is indeed larger than ancient Libya and Asia combined, matching Plato’s description.

• Apart from Plato's information, I have come across a little-known 1500 English map which clearly states that ‘Antarctica’ was once inhabited by men who worshipped “devvilles”, or serpents. This matches the Piri Reis map which indicates that “large snakes” could be found in that region.
  • The sudden rise in temperature at end of the Younger Dryas period (ca. 11,600 years ago, matching Plato’s date for the sinking of Atlantis) is explained in terms of proposed impact of a comet, when the earth “cracked like a pot”, resulting in volcanic eruptions and lava flow all over the world.
  • I have developed a scientific method for determining just how far a person can still distinguish objects like another person, or a lookout on the crow’s nest of a medieval sailing ship, the tip of an island. The observations are quite interesting (see image below).
  • I no longer view the ice core dating (800,000 years) of Antarctica’s ice cap as problematic to my theory and I show that the biblical Creation story actually relates how the earth recovered after the Great Flood, and not the other way around.
  • Finally, there is only scant evidence available about who the Atlanteans actually were, which I admittedly can only speculate about. However, a chance remark by Diodorus about the what the Serpents wore in battle, confirmed by the teachings of Azâzêl, left me stunned, as it 100% confirmed my long-held view about why they had been called ‘serpents.’

Projection_height_as_a_function_of_distance_D2.thumb.jpg.feb93134341f3017a356e1136562e1b6.jpg

This image shows how big the projection of a 182.88 cm (6’) tall man standing D1 m left of a white screen would be, looking at his twin facing him at distance D2 m from the screen on the opposite side. If we color the image of his twin black for optimum contrast, his projection height at D1+D2=101 M would be 1.81 cm. At a distance of 1 km, his projection would be 1.827 mm, which would be like looking at a 2 mm long black ant on a white wall 1 m away from you – still perfectly visible. However, if the white wall is replaced by a photograph of an outdoors terrain with trees and shrubs and the twin is wearing brownish clothes, he may be impossible to spot.

I trust you will find the new version an interesting read (here).

• Like 1

I thought the "Atlantis was Antarctica" nonsense died long ago - even Hancock soon gave up on that one!

And, of course, like all "theories" it fails to explain why the Atlanteans invaded the Mediterranean, why they left no traces and why they were defeated by an bronze age Athenian army thousands of years before either the bronze age or Athens ever existed)

Oh, and what about the elephants?!  :o  

Meanwhile, Antarctic is about as hospitable to human life today as it has ever been since before we came down out of the trees

https://notendur.hi.is/oi/quaternary_glacial_history_of_antarctica.htm

• Like 4

But Atlantis sunk into the ocean.  Australia is not sunk.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

But Atlantis sunk into the ocean.  Australia is not sunk.

Nope, it did not. It formed part of the mountain range which surrounded Atlantis's plain, as did Antarctica and New Zealand. Maybe you should read the article first.

4 minutes ago, Riaan said:

Nope, it did not. It formed part of the mountain range which surrounded Atlantis's plain, as did Antarctica and New Zealand. Maybe you should read the article first.

So someone has written an article to change the mythology of atlantis. 

• Like 1

You said, " the whole region of the (is)land lies toward the south, and is sheltered from the north

I have described the city and the environs of the ancient palace nearly in the words of Solon, and now I must endeavour to represent the nature and arrangement of the rest of the land. The whole country was said by him to be very lofty and precipitous on the side of the sea, but the country immediately about and surrounding the city was a level plain, itself surrounded by mountains which descended towards the sea; it was smooth and even, and of an oblong shape, extending in one direction three thousand stadia, but across the centre inland it was two thousand stadia. This part of the island looked towards the south, and was sheltered from the north.

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/critias.html

That quote from Plato doesn't say anything about 'Atlantis' being in the southern hemisphere and where is your quote from exactly?

Flood...oh my, ....

Thanks Riaan for your work but I'm still suffering from Atlantis overload boredom.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

I predict this  thread will be closed by the end of the day. :lol:

Riaan started a thread that lasted for 10 years....

Welcome back, Riaan! I have downloaded your book, so it will take while to respond on topic.

Link to (what I call) his book:

https://www.riaanbooysen.com/terra-aus

He posted it at the end of his opening post.

Edited by Abramelin

6 minutes ago, acute said:

Where's this Dogger-land?

Got any video?

:whistle:

e92a84775baf5c434c41c5717bfa1d26.jpg

Just in case you were seriously asking...

• Like 3

@Harte where are you when we need you ? :innocent:

• Haha 4

I especially like how the OP regards Greek mythology and the bible as reliable scientific records. :innocent:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I especially like how the OP regards Greek mythology and the bible as reliable scientific records. :innocent:

Well they are theres loads of evi...proo...um fantastical tales in them so they must be true. :D

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Well they are theres loads of evi...proo...um fantastical tales in them so they must be true. :D

Nevermind how they contradict eachother. Thats just a minor inconvenience to a true Atlantis "researcher". :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Welcome back, Riaan! I have downloaded your book, so it will take while to respond on topic.

You are quite right. My first post (on my own website) was at the beginning of 2009, followed by a major update in June 2009. I haven't done anything after that, but as stated, I re-read Plato's Atlantis dialogues and noticed that I had missed potentially crucial aspects of the dialogues. Like, for instance, the skeletal remains which are supposed to still be visible today) - is this interpretation incorrect? And the the Vatican map. I could never figure out how it could have been possible that the central plain had become flooded, until I heard a scientist's comment in a TV program about the mass of bedrock Antarctica together with its ice cap forcing the crust of the earth downward. I came across a similar statement elsewhere (see my 'book') about Greenland. By the way, Regio Patalis on these maps is always translated as Region of Patala, which was an ancient city in Pakistan. However, in a 1817 English-Latin dictionary I found in a second-hand bookshop, the meaning of 'patalis' is given as broad-horned (bulls). So this is something new which no academic in the world seems to have been aware of. Atlantis was known for its bull-worship, but one can imagine that this area, which was almost a sub-continent itself, was home to millions of these animals, which would have been the staple diet of the Atlanteans. 

Perhaps you should take a look again at the similarities between the Terra Australis maps and the submarine topography of New Zealand and the west coast of South America - it cannot be pure coincidence. And then lakes on in the middle of the Sahara desert on some of these maps, that could only have existed during the so-called Green Sahara era. How did these mapmakers know about those lakes?

I also discuss many of the discoveries by early explorers - there seems to be ample evidence that they had access to much older maps. Magellan discovered his strait in 1520, but it was recorded elsewhere that Magellan had seen the strait on a map by Martin Behaim. Schoner's 1515 map clearly shows a passage between South America and Terra Australis, so it may even be this map that he had seen. 

So maybe you should not judge this 'book' by its cover ('Atlantis'), and read it for a change.  

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

My comment was tongue in cheek.

26 minutes ago, Riaan said:

However, in a 1817 English-Latin dictionary I found in a second-hand bookshop, the meaning of 'patalis' is given as broad-horned (bulls). So this is something new which no academic in the world seems to have been aware of. Atlantis was known for its bull-worship, but one can imagine that this area, which was almost a sub-continent itself, was home to millions of these animals, which would have been the staple diet of the Atlanteans

Interestingly, the Minoans were well known for their love of bulls, and for the Thera cataclysm.

"Patalis" is not a Latin word, neither in classical or ecclesiastical forms. Broad-horned would be something like amplum cornicum, not sure as I'm a bit rusty, but no matter what, "patalis" does not contain the root of "broad" or "wide" or "full" etc, and certainly has nothing connected to "horn" = "cornicum".

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Riaan said:

So Atlantis is tens of millions of years old now :-*

• Like 1

There's at least two other problems with the OP: 

1)  Plato says "that part of the island" faces south NOT the whole island. 

2)  By Plato's description the entirety of Atlantis would be of the general size of 462 miles east to west by 285 miles north to south, more or less. That's NOWHERE near sufficient to be taken as Australia. 

cormac

• Like 1