Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Euthanasia is evil, reiterates the Vatican

Eldorado

No good intentions can justify the intentional killing of an innocent person, the Vatican reiterated Tuesday in a new document condemning euthanasia and assisted suicide.

With the explicit approval of Pope Francis, the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith has published a 13,000-word teaching letter called Samaritanus Bonus (“Good Samaritan”) on the care of persons in the critical and terminal phases of life.

In the powerfully worded text, the Vatican denounced not only those who partake directly in euthanasia or assisted suicide, but also those who support it politically, with arguments that could be used for the abortion issue as well.

Full report at Breitbart: Link

Samaritanus Bonus: Vatican

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Of course the Vatican condemns euthanasia. It's hard to collect that tithe if your dead. Not to mention that any loss of control to a huge organization like the Vatican is bad for business. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I really have no interest in what the Vatican thinks.  They have no place to pass judgement on others when their hands are dirtier than most.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The Vatican calling something evil is hysterical. 

I'm all for euthanasia, depending on the cases.

• Like 7

Death with Dignity. 

The Vatican and anyone who is opposed to euthanasia can take a long walk off of a short pier.

I've personally seen too many individuals rot away in pain and agony. 

If someone chooses to set their affairs in order and go out on their own terms I'm all for it.

"Dying is not a crime." - Jack Kevorkian 

What kind of sadistic, monster of a god would consider the act of ending the suffering he set into motion to be wrong?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I didnt read the article but it depends what form of euthanasia is being spoken of 

Where a society can decide to  terminate  the life of an innocent  person without their consent,  you have a problem and a  social evil.

Eg the killing by the state of people too elderly, infirm or disabled to contribute, and who use up a lot of a state's resources for their care  Or  if the state is allowing others to make tha t decision for a person eg the grandkids want the house, so the y get the grandparents diagnosed as suitable for euthanasia and then have it done.

That is  involuntary euthanasia. It happens a bit in modern western hospitals, despite being against the law  

However, because i believe that only an individual  person has the right to control their own life, i strongly support voluntary euthanasia, or the right to die

In australia suicide /attempted suicide used to be a criminal offence. Today it is not, but assisting anyone to commit suicide still is.  In about half the countries of the world attempting or committing suicide remains a criminal offence. 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 3

**** you Vataican. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...

My great aunts and  my late father had do not rescuitate  orders. My Great Aunt Helen said  that she and Aunt Jo her sister were old, they were like in their 80s or 90s. She felt that  if something went wrong, that the doctors should save young people, not an old lady like her that was  going to die anyways. That they should work on saving young people, especially children. And  they were both devote Catholics who used to go to mass every Sunday, give donations  to St.John's and  bring flowers for the altar from the garden.They also did other things for the Church as well. She had no problem with this. And by the way, a lot of Catholics don't pay attention to what the Vatican says anyways.The Cathars had something called the Endura I guess it was similar, but  you might have to look it up.

• Like 2

Not sure what the church thinks it can do to a dead person after they have taken their own life, same with the law if someone is successful in taking their life what judgement can they make on a dead man.

jmccr8

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Not sure what the church thinks it can do to a dead person after they have taken their own life, same with the law if someone is successful in taking their life what judgement can they make on a dead man.

jmccr8

What gets me are the people who are unsuccessful at taking their own life.  That’s a low point.  So, you failed at failing.  Hmmmn, that one will take some therapy.  You’ll need to be able to “re-frame” that one for sure.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When an animal is severely ill or injured beyond hope of recovery many say it would be best to put them down, for it's the humane thing to do.   Likewise, when a human is terminally ill or experienced a debilitating injury it should be their right to choose their destiny when quality of life is not possible.   If they are brain-dead then a legal guardian should be able to make the choice for them, given they are aware of the person's wishes.

I remember the story many years ago of a young woman who was in a car accident and injured severely.  She didn't have a Living Will so the hospital put her on life support.  Her parents wanted the hospital to take her off of it and let her die.  The doctors had told them there was no hope of recovery.  But the hospital said no, so it turned into an eight-year court battle of the parents versus the hospital.   Finally after eight years the parents won to have their daughter taken off life support, whereby about two days later she died.

The parents had told the hospital that before the accident their daughter said if something bad happened she didn't want to be kept alive on life support, but because it wasn't written in black and white the hospital would not honor only a verbal request to die.

Edited by Dustyrose33
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

I remember the story many years ago of a young woman who was in a car accident and injured severely.  She didn't have a Living Will so the hospital put her on life support.

Some of the details are different, but are you referring to :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri_Schiavo_case

4 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Some of the details are different, but are you referring to :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri_Schiavo_case

Thanks, I couldn't remember the name or exact details, but I remembered her parents had to fight the hospital for her right to die.  I thought she had been in a car accident.  My mistake.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

Thanks, I couldn't remember the name or exact details, but I remembered her parents had to fight the hospital for her right to die.  I thought she had been in a car accident.  My mistake.

I happened to remember it because it was occurring at the same time Pope John Paul II was in very bad shape. 

He died two days after Terri, but both were on the national news for weeks.

I saw the juxtaposition of an old sickly man and a young woman tragically incapacitated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2020 at 5:40 AM, Eldorado said:

No good intentions can justify the intentional killing of an innocent person, the Vatican reiterated Tuesday in a new document condemning euthanasia and assisted suicide.

With the explicit approval of Pope Francis, the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith has published a 13,000-word teaching letter called Samaritanus Bonus (“Good Samaritan”) on the care of persons in the critical and terminal phases of life.

In the powerfully worded text, the Vatican denounced not only those who partake directly in euthanasia or assisted suicide, but also those who support it politically, with arguments that could be used for the abortion issue as well.

Not sure why people who no longer wish to be here should be forced to endure more suffering to satisfy someone else's nutty beliefs.  

Edited by Horta
  • Like 8

On 9/23/2020 at 3:40 PM, Eldorado said:

They didn't get a bunch of people burned as heretics ? Participated in pagan burge and crusade  ? Maybe they can shut-up a bit about euthanasia...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2020 at 8:32 PM, onlookerofmayhem said:

Death with Dignity. 

The Vatican and anyone who is opposed to euthanasia can take a long walk off of a short pier.

I've personally seen too many individuals rot away in pain and agony. 

If someone chooses to set their affairs in order and go out on their own terms I'm all for it.

"Dying is not a crime." - Jack Kevorkian 

What kind of sadistic, monster of a god would consider the act of ending the suffering he set into motion to be wrong?

I totally agree they have no right to comment about euthanasia, and your right the Pope should take a walk off a short pier. But what really bothers me is they will take a stand on Euthanasia, Abortion and many other individually personal issues, however, they have never publicly taken an equally strong stance on the sexual molestation of children by Priest's.:angry: Which makes the Pope and all the Vatican senior Leadership nothing but a bunch of Hypocrites, in my opinion!!!!!!!!!  

Take care my Brother!!!:tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Euthanasia is evil but killing people by the thousands in wars isn't? Interesting distinction.

• Haha 1

I'll take this seriously when the Vatican takes pedophilia seriously. A bunch of priests just got busted out in Denver the other day.

• Like 1