Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Why tarantulas come in vivid blues and greens

Still Waters

Why are some tarantulas so vividly colored? Scientists have puzzled over why these large, hairy spiders, active primarily during the evening and at night-time, would sport such vibrant blue and green colouration—especially as they were long thought to be unable to differentiate between colors, let alone possess true color vision.

In a recent study, researchers from Yale-NUS College and Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) find support for new hypotheses: that these vibrant blue colors may be used to communicate between potential mates, while green colouration confers the ability to conceal among foliage. Their research also suggests that tarantulas are not as color-blind as previously believed, and that these arachnids may be able to perceive the bright blue tones on their bodies. The study was published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B on 23 September, and is featured on the front cover of the current (30 September 2020) issue.

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-scientists-tarantulas-vivid-blues-greens.html

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2020.1688

• Like 6

ThereWeAreThen

For a species that terrifies millions of people globally, they sure are beautiful. 

• Like 3

HandsomeGorilla
ThereWeAreThen
2 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

That's got to be one of the most stunning of creatures I've ever seen. I wonder why they're going extinct? Couldn't be the primates who are "running" the world could it? :rolleyes:

HandsomeGorilla
1 hour ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

That's got to be one of the most stunning of creatures I've ever seen. I wonder why they're going extinct? Couldn't be the primates who are "running" the world could it? :rolleyes:

Over collecting for the pet trade, even food. They're also thought to be extremely venomous (this particular species isn't, but others in the same genus can cause some fairly bad reactions in some, including nerve damage and paralysis), so they're often hunted and just killed. 

ThereWeAreThen
5 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Over collecting for the pet trade, even food. They're also thought to be extremely venomous (this particular species isn't, but others in the same genus can cause some fairly bad reactions in some, including nerve damage and paralysis), so they're often hunted and just killed. 

So basically as I was saying, us humans are the reason. :D

HandsomeGorilla
27 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

So basically as I was saying, us humans are the reason. :D

Yes, animals typically don't make a habit of killing themselves off. Thankfully, collective captive breeding efforts (including my own at the time) have ensured this beautiful animal will continue to thrive for years to come. Thankfully they're fairly easy to breed once we figured out a few quirks. Some have actually released back into the wild and are slowly repopulating, but even if something else happens, there will be plenty of backup in captive care. 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HandsomeGorilla

The same has also been done for the Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+island+baboon+tarantula&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=isnv&sxsrf=ALeKk03tVv_Np21K1kkzx-QETMJ3-QbtqA:1601073337128&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj-65L8roXsAhXIneAKHSRBBeQQ_AUoAXoECA0QAQ&biw=412&bih=751&dpr=2.63

By the way, for your viewing enjoyment, look up their origin, Socotra Island. It's almost uninhabited, so the place is literally a paradise. Picture book, wallpaper kinda stuff. 

docyabut2

just like us humans we are all different colors, rainbows")

See the source image

• Like 1

openozy
7 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

there`s even blue people:

I hope they cheer up.

ThereWeAreThen
12 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Yes, animals typically don't make a habit of killing themselves off. Thankfully, collective captive breeding efforts (including my own at the time) have ensured this beautiful animal will continue to thrive for years to come. Thankfully they're fairly easy to breed once we figured out a few quirks. Some have actually released back into the wild and are slowly repopulating, but even if something else happens, there will be plenty of backup in captive care. 

Thats excellent news and long may it continue!!