Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Couple spots bus-sized creature in Loch Ness

UM-Bot

54 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Plesiosaur Image result for plesiosaur\

Loch Ness Monster

See the source image

Sorry pg and i already know you will denounce this and make excuses but the experts on Plesiosaur have concluded it wouldnt have been able to hold its neck and head up and out of the water as in your 2nd pick, you should research stuff.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Sorry pg and i already know you will denounce this and make excuses but the experts on Plesiosaur have concluded it wouldnt have been able to hold its neck and head up and out of the water as in your 2nd pick, you should research stuff.

Cousin species, bats. Haven’t you been doing your research on this thread?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Havent you?, my point stands and you failed trying to make up cousins of a non fit to fit a mythical creature.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Lets' see you posted two junk pictures and now you want someone other than you to support whatever rubbish you want to push?

You have no idea what you mean by cousin. You are just posting that because you are clueless about anything having to do with reality. Your image was clearly stupid BS since the neck was bent. Aren't you keeping  up with actual science as posted by Carnoferox?

Hint cousin is a meaningless word in science. Maybe it means something to charlatan losers like psychic who are all frauds that fool the extremely gullible. Go ahead and use a roper taxonomy term such as member of the same genus or family or order or whatever is something other than idle meaningless chatter from the bucket of paranormal offal.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I googled 'eels'. Even the largest type found in the loch doesn't seem nearly big enough or have the head type to match the Nessie reports. They don't get bus sized for example.

My leading theory is still a cousin species to the Plesiosaur.

A freshwater plesiosaur that hibernated during the ice age?

The Loch Ness monster is simply anything seen in Loch Ness that the observer cannot immediately identify.   I have long suspect large eunuch eels in Loch Ness and some other Scottish lochs, but in most cases the Loch Ness monster is a wave, log, bird, otter or other mundane thing.   

Without a picture impossible to say what this may have been, and whether or not it really was "the size of a bus" 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Essan said:

A freshwater plesiosaur that hibernated during the ice age?

The Loch Ness monster is simply anything seen in Loch Ness that the observer cannot immediately identify.   I have long suspect large eunuch eels in Loch Ness and some other Scottish lochs, but in most cases the Loch Ness monster is a wave, log, bird, otter or other mundane thing.   

Without a picture impossible to say what this may have been, and whether or not it really was "the size of a bus" 

It's the same type of **** we hear with ufos. OMG I saw a ufo that means its  alien!!. Omg I saw something in the lake I can't identify it must be Nessie!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Why?

Psychic and channeled are the things of fantasy. How do those fit in the definition of the word plausible/plausibility?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Trelane said:

Psychic and channeled are the things of fantasy. How do those fit in the definition of the word plausible/plausibility?

Long story of personal study and consideration my friend

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Long story of personal study and consideration my friend

That's fine and well. However to propose that something that does not exist is plausible by fantastical means is not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Trelane said:

That's fine and well. However to propose that something that does not exist is plausible by fantastical means is not.

Fantastical? Matter of opinion.

• Haha 1

Loch Ness creature spots white tourists with sandals, white socks and "Brexit Now" T-shirts. Where is PETA when they are needed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I think there is some large aquatic animal in the Loch. Too many sightings, pics, videos. As for the Swan like neck, very few sightings see the creature break the water with a head emerging. Eel, whale, shark? Something native to those waters. As for breeding pairs, there has been a sightings god more than one creature at the same before. 

9 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I think there is some large aquatic animal in the Loch. Too many sightings, pics, videos. As for the Swan like neck, very few sightings see the creature break the water with a head emerging. Eel, whale, shark? Something native to those waters. As for breeding pairs, there has been a sightings god more than one creature at the same before. 

Wait, are you saying there's been sightings of more than one of these alleged creatures at one time? Care to put some pics up?

(Not doubting you just curious)

1 hour ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Wait, are you saying there's been sightings of more than one of these alleged creatures at one time? Care to put some pics up?

(Not doubting you just curious)

Why would I have the pics?

Local fisherman. Small dinghy sized boat, v close to the shoreline reported a large creature nudging the boat as it swam past, then noticed there was one either side of the dinghy. 

In hindsight he thought they were curious.

He vowed to never fish in the loch again from a boat. 

Weirdly, he couldn't tell what the creatures were. He was a local, fished in the Loch for years. 

I'm still thinking shark.

17 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Why would I have the pics?

Local fisherman. Small dinghy sized boat, v close to the shoreline reported a large creature nudging the boat as it swam past, then noticed there was one either side of the dinghy. 

In hindsight he thought they were curious.

He vowed to never fish in the loch again from a boat. 

Weirdly, he couldn't tell what the creatures were. He was a local, fished in the Loch for years. 

I'm still thinking shark.

Sorry mate didn't mean you personally, meant if theres any at all cause im too lazy to look.

On 9/27/2020 at 7:31 AM, papageorge1 said:

You do know that the searches are not conclusive. Eyewitness evidence is evidence. Scientists can't find ghosts either but I consider the eyewitness and photographic evidence overwhelming. Could Nessie even have paranormal attributes?

So, there we are then.

And the eDNA samples taken from the Loch - they can just be handwaved away by a an overwhelming pile of flimsy reports and blurry photos?

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

And the eDNA samples taken from the Loch - they can just bee handwaved away by a an overwhelming pile of flimsy reports and blurry photos?

I wouldn't handwave it away. It's something to consider. From article in Science Alert:

"Loch Ness is vast and given that eDNA signals in water dissipate quickly, lasting days to weeks at most, there remains the possibility that there is something present that we did not detect because we sampled in the wrong places at the wrong time, or our metabarcoding method could not detect 'Nessie' because the sequence could not be matched with anything in the sequence databases," the researchers wrote.

Anyway, I have even been suggesting Nessie is not a full time resident of the loch (from the North Sea perhaps).

36 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I wouldn't handwave it away. It's something to consider. From article in Science Alert:

"Loch Ness is vast and given that eDNA signals in water dissipate quickly, lasting days to weeks at most, there remains the possibility that there is something present that we did not detect because we sampled in the wrong places at the wrong time, or our metabarcoding method could not detect 'Nessie' because the sequence could not be matched with anything in the sequence databases," the researchers wrote.

Anyway, I have even been suggesting Nessie is not a full time resident of the loch (from the North Sea perhaps).

That's not what the researcher wrote, at all.  Those are the words of an un-named author, writing for Super Natural History - Loch Ness Edition.

There are UMembers who are familiar with the area and the access to sea.  Their local knowledge doesn't give a high chance for much coming from the North Sea.

The actual researchers from Otago University wrote:

With over a thousand reported sightings dating back to the 6th century, Professor Gemmell says of all the ideas for what people have seen in the water, one of the more common, and outrageous, is there might be a Jurassic-age reptile or population of Jurassic-age reptiles such as a plesiosaur present in Loch Ness.

“We can't find any evidence of a creature that's remotely related to that in our environmental-DNA sequence data. So, sorry, I don’t think the plesiosaur idea holds up based on the data that we have obtained,” Professor Gemmell says.

The research team tested other predominant theories of various giant fish; whether it be a giant catfish or a giant sturgeon, an eel, or even a shark such as a Greenland shark.

“So there’s no shark DNA in Loch Ness based on our sampling. There is also no catfish DNA in Loch Ness based on our sampling. We can't find any evidence of sturgeon either,” Professor Gemmell says.

The remaining theory that Professor Gemmell cannot refute based on the environmental DNA data obtained is that what people are seeing is a very large eel.

“We found substantial levels of DNA from humans and a variety of species directly associated with us such as dogs, sheep and cattle. However we also detected wild species local to the area such as deer, badgers, foxes, rabbits, voles and multiple bird species. These findings indicate eDNA surveys of major waterways may be useful for rapidly surveying biological diversity at a regional level.”

https://www.otago.ac.nz/news/news/otago717609.html

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

That's not what the researcher wrote, at all.  Those are the words of an un-named author, writing for Super Natural History - Loch Ness Edition.

There are UMembers who are familiar with the area and the access to sea.  Their local knowledge doesn't give a high chance for much coming from the North Sea.

The actual researchers from Otago University wrote:

https://www.otago.ac.nz/news/news/otago717609.html

OK. Nothing there contradicts my quote though.