Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Couple spots bus-sized creature in Loch Ness

UM-Bot

2 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

There are so many myths of the Loch Ness mobster  that is never proven that people make up.

There are mobsters as well?!

• Haha 2

On 9/27/2020 at 8:09 PM, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I think there is some large aquatic animal in the Loch. Too many sightings, pics, videos. As for the Swan like neck, very few sightings see the creature break the water with a head emerging. Eel, whale, shark? Something native to those waters. As for breeding pairs, there has been a sightings god more than one creature at the same before. 

I try to keep an open mind on most things but I don’t see how a very large massed  animal population of anything can live in a loch. The amount of food source needed to sustain an animal at these purported sizes would be IMMENSE. Also, the tales of Nessie have been going for 50 years now? That would mean there would be a population rather than a lone survivor. When large marine animals die they typically float from release of bacterial gases. 

It would be cool if it existed. But in a world where we can go out and find something as rare and small as a Axolotl I can’t believe something as large as a bus in a lake hasn’t been found.

Edited by Nobu
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Nobu said:

I try to keep an open mind on most things but I don’t see how a very large massed  animal population of anything can live in a loch. The amount of food source needed to sustain an animal at these purported sizes would be IMMENSE. Also, the tales of Nessie have been going for 50 years now? That would mean there would be a population rather than a lone survivor. When large marine animals die they typically float from release of bacterial gases. 

It would be cool if it existed. But in a world where we can go out and find something as rare and small as a Axolotl I can’t believe something as large as a bus in a lake hasn’t been found.

Thats if you want to keep it physical.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chronus said:

Thats if you want to keep it physical.

As opposed to imaginary?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2020 at 3:35 AM, papageorge1 said:

I googled 'eels'. Even the largest type found in the loch doesn't seem nearly big enough or have the head type to match the Nessie reports. They don't get bus sized for example.

Don't be too quick to dismiss eels.  We simply don't know enough about the species in the oceans or their life cycles.  It is known that eels can cross land like catfish, and slip-slide their way into various rills, ponds and streams as they can often smell water when out of it.  It is quite possible that a species of giant eel is heading into fresh water to spawn.  I would like to say that nessie and ogopogo and all the other lake monsters were plesiosaurs, but without introducing another complicating variable that adds little to the debate like, say, dimensional portals, I doubt that is possible.  Plesiosaurs are large predators, and the lake ecosystems wouldn't cope with them, and the chances that they would be seen going overland at night is far likelier than eels. They would need to have a breeding population of at least 1000 individuals to maintain any genetic diversity too.  The probability that they are endangered by inbreeding would be a real problem for the species.  I haven't ruled out plesiosaurs, or non-existence, but I think eels are the most likely.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

As opposed to imaginary?

Well there is a theory that the Koch Ness Monster is actually a kelpie.

1 hour ago, Chronus said:

Well there is a theory that the Koch Ness Monster is actually a kelpie.

A fictional shapeshifting creature?

That's a pretty lousy "theory" with no supporting evidence. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

A fictional shapeshifting creature?

That's a pretty lousy "theory" with no supporting evidence. 

Well that's a theory I believe.

1 minute ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Why?

Ok we'll go one step at a time.

Let say for a moment, that everything sea monster related at the Loch is actually that, a sea monster. There have been sightings of many other sea monsters there, so say the loch is home ti something we don't know about, what are the chances that several, very different, creatures living in the loch.

Now I will say a huge majority of signings probably are lots and stuff, so I am not saying that everything there is a unidentified thing. And I think I believe its paranormal, because I have jad encounters with the paranormal, so its not new to me, so for me its more of a 'well why can't something paranormal be there?'

And as you know nothing definitive has come out of the loch proving the Loch Ness Monster is real, so maybe people aren't looking for the right things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chronus said:

And I think I believe its paranormal, because I have jad encounters with the paranormal, so its not new to me, so for me its more of a 'well why can't something paranormal be there?'

You've had a supernatural experience with the Loch Ness monster?

27 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

You've had a supernatural experience with the Loch Ness monster?

No, not nessie.

5 hours ago, Chronus said:

No, not nessie.

Well, I guess there's no point discussing anything with you if you believe your own supernatural experience justifies believing any unevidenced story as possible.

You can literally make up any details you want. Or believe any details you want for that matter.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chronus said:

Ok we'll go one step at a time.

Let say for a moment, that everything sea monster related at the Loch is actually that, a sea monster. There have been sightings of many other sea monsters there, so say the loch is home ti something we don't know about, what are the chances that several, very different, creatures living in the loch.

Now I will say a huge majority of signings probably are lots and stuff, so I am not saying that everything there is a unidentified thing. And I think I believe its paranormal, because I have jad encounters with the paranormal, so its not new to me, so for me its more of a 'well why can't something paranormal be there?'

And as you know nothing definitive has come out of the loch proving the Loch Ness Monster is real, so maybe people aren't looking for the right things.

Heck, this is as legitimate a hypothesis as I’ve heard on the LNM.

Cheers

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Nobu said:

Heck, this is as legitimate a hypothesis as I’ve heard on the LNM.

Cheers

Literally thats the first time I've done something that big before haha, I typed it on my phone as well.

• Like 1

Look at Skinwalker Ranch, Brown Mountain, Parker Ranch, and many other places in that area and in other areas of the world too. There are many many places which consistently have lights, creatures, UFOs, ghosts, and all manner of things reported. Why does everyone rule out a portal of some kind to another place which shares these creatures with our reality? Why? because there is no 'evidence' and thats the only thing which makes our world 'real' for some of us. That is a terrible limitation which those people are allowing and it does not define reality at all.

On 10/10/2020 at 5:43 AM, Alchopwn said:

Don't be too quick to dismiss eels.  We simply don't know enough about the species in the oceans or their life cycles.  It is known that eels can cross land like catfish, and slip-slide their way into various rills, ponds and streams as they can often smell water when out of it.  It is quite possible that a species of giant eel is heading into fresh water to spawn.  I would like to say that nessie and ogopogo and all the other lake monsters were plesiosaurs, but without introducing another complicating variable that adds little to the debate like, say, dimensional portals, I doubt that is possible.  Plesiosaurs are large predators, and the lake ecosystems wouldn't cope with them, and the chances that they would be seen going overland at night is far likelier than eels. They would need to have a breeding population of at least 1000 individuals to maintain any genetic diversity too.  The probability that they are endangered by inbreeding would be a real problem for the species.  I haven't ruled out plesiosaurs, or non-existence, but I think eels are the most likely.

Eels would need to pass dams. Champ in lake Champlain would need to pass the flood control dams on the Richelieu River

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richelieu_River

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 6:45 AM, stereologist said:

Eels would need to pass dams. Champ in lake Champlain would need to pass the flood control dams on the Richelieu River

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richelieu_River

I have no doubt that eels can pass dams, in either direction.  Many dams also come with salmon ladders.  No eel would require a salmon ladder but they could in extremis make use of one, if not by leaping, then by slithering, but in fact they could simply "portage" overland around obstacles such as dams too.

13 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I have no doubt that eels can pass dams, in either direction.  Many dams also come with salmon ladders.  No eel would require a salmon ladder but they could in extremis make use of one, if not by leaping, then by slithering, but in fact they could simply "portage" overland around obstacles such as dams too.

Only a few fish are capable of that "portage".  They are distance and timed limited. Eels can make some travel possible because of their thick skin. Eels have been found traveling over land, but no sizeable eels have been found making that a moot point as far as large eels is concerned.

I believe that the salmon in Lake Champlain are land locked salmon. That occurred due to the dams not being fitted with fish ladders

https://www.essexonlakechamplain.com/american-eels/

Dams may be the main culprit behind the diminishment of eel numbers in Lake Champlain and its rivers. Eels are diadromous, being born in the South Atlantic, migrating to and up streams to live much of their adulthoods in freshwater, then returning to the ocean to spawn. The young ones moving upstream can get over or around natural obstacles (such as small waterfalls), but man-made dams can be fatal. The St. Ours and Chambly dams built on Lake Champlain’s outlet, the Richilieu River, and dams built on rivers draining into Lake Champlain, have hindered eel migration, though some of the barriers have been softened with fish ladders.

• Like 1