Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gorilla attacks keeper at Madrid Zoo

Still Waters

A zookeeper has been seriously injured in an attack by a gorilla named Malabo during a routine feed and clean.

The 46-year-old keeper, who has 19 years of experience, was attacked at Madrid Zoo in Spain on Sunday morning, a statement from the zoo said.

The gorilla weighs about 200kg, El Pais reports.

The keeper had accessed the facility, which is bound by three doors, to find the 29-year-old male gorilla had somehow made his way into the same area.

The zoo’s emergency protocol was immediately activated and police were called.

https://7news.com.au/news/animals/zookeeper-in-hospital-after-being-attacked-by-200kg-gorilla-c-1347861

"The reasons why the animal was able to access the area are being investigated internally," the statement on Facebook read, adding there was also a criminal investigation.

https://news.sky.com/story/madrid-zookeeper-seriously-injured-after-being-attacked-by-gorilla-12083949

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

At least they didn't kill the Gorilla.... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Still Waters said:

A zookeeper has been seriously injured in an attack by a gorilla named Malabo during a routine feed and clean.

The 46-year-old keeper, who has 19 years of experience, was attacked at Madrid Zoo in Spain on Sunday morning, a statement from the zoo said.

The gorilla weighs about 200kg, El Pais reports.

The keeper had accessed the facility, which is bound by three doors, to find the 29-year-old male gorilla had somehow made his way into the same area.

The zoo’s emergency protocol was immediately activated and police were called.

https://7news.com.au/news/animals/zookeeper-in-hospital-after-being-attacked-by-200kg-gorilla-c-1347861

Malabo didn't want to kill him, just shake him a bit. A male gorilla could shread someone in half in an instant...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

At least they didn't kill the Gorilla.... 

I'm kind of amazed that that wasn't their first move.  I'm also amazed that the keeper survived.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Damned tourist's fault. They kept calling him Malibu....

2 hours ago, and then said:

I'm kind of amazed that that wasn't their first move.  I'm also amazed that the keeper survived.

I agree and it sounds like the keeper is a really bad way, open fractures to both arms will take some repairing. It sounds like he was snapped file a twig.

• Sad 1

The zoo noted that Malabo had been raised by keepers since his birth and had been close to them.

Perhaps this is the reason they didn't want to kill the gorilla.

I wonder what triggered him to attack. Usually these kind of stories involve lions or tigers, I think it's more unusual to hear a gorilla was involved.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Matt221 said:

He looked a bit annoyed in his photo 

He does a bit but I think that was his normal face.

10 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Malabo didn't want to kill him, just shake him a bit. A male gorilla could shread someone in half in an instant...

It's hard to know what his intentions were. Gorillas are very strong and can kill if they have a mind to. The keeper was lucky in that respect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

Perhaps this is the reason they didn't want to kill the gorilla.

I wonder what triggered him to attack. Usually these kind of stories involve lions or tigers, I think it's more unusual to hear a gorilla was involved.

I can't get my head around that also... a keeper with 29 yrs experience and a gorilla raised literally from birth by keepers at the zoo...

Hopefully the internal investigation will shine some light on it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I can't get my head around that also... a keeper with 29 yrs experience and a gorilla raised literally from birth by keepers at the zoo...

Hopefully the internal investigation will shine some light on it? 

Maybe the gorilla was just startled by the presence of the keeper... got some defence reaction. The big problem is why the two of them met in the enclosure, the investigation will certainly shine some light on it !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Maybe the gorilla was just startled by the presence of the keeper... got some defence reaction. The big problem is why the two of them met in the enclosure, the investigation will certainly shine some light on it !

Yes... I bet they were both surprised at the presence of the other one when they met each other. It will be interesting to see the outcome and I hope the keeper makes a full recovery?  

• Like 2