Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tourist accused of defacing Rome's Colosseum

Still Waters

An Irish tourist has been accused of vandalizing Rome's Colosseum after security staff spotted him allegedly carving his initials into the ancient Italian structure.

The man's two initials, about 6 centimeters (2 inches) high, were said to have been carved with a metal point on a pillar of the first floor of the 2,000-year-old monument.

The Colosseum, considered one of the seven wonders of the modern world, is a World Heritage Site, along with 54 other Italian sites that comprise the city's historic center.

The unnamed man is accused of damaging a historical and artistic landmark, the Carabinieri confirmed to CNN, a crime according to Italian law. He could face a hefty penalty if convicted.

The crime is punishable with up to one year in prison or a fine of no less than 2,065 euros ($2,400).

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/tourist-colosseum-scli-intl/index.html

https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-irish-tourist-arrested-after-carving-initials-into-the-colosseum-20200928

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Wepwawet said:

Throw him to the lions...

Thats what they would have done with him when the Romans were at their height lol.

I suggest giving him an open ended prison sentence. One that lasts forever until he has successfully sculpted an identical piece to replace the part or section he vandalised. It has to be identical so it can be installed without anybody being able to see any difference.

Have him install it too and organise a nice crowed to mock him when he does it.

• Like 4

That's funny, vandalize monuments in this country & the police just look on in silence or even get down on one knee.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Thats what they would have done with him when the Romans were at their height lol.

I suggest giving him an open ended prison sentence. One that lasts forever until he has successfully sculpted an identical piece to replace the part or section he vandalised. It has to be identical so it can be installed without anybody being able to see any difference.

Have him install it too and organise a nice crowed to mock him when he does it.

He could be made write out 100 times Ego amare Romam, as opposed to Romani ite domum, which might make sense if he were a member of the Peoples Front of Judea, but not in Rome itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Wepwawet said:

He could be made write out 100 times Ego amare Romam, as opposed to Romani ite domum, which might make sense if he were a member of the Peoples Front of Judea, but not in Rome itself.

Oh, I have watched that too lol.

Idiot!

As I get older, I just find this sort of thing depressing. Knowing that there are people wandering around out there with no concept or regard for the history and the lives of people that have lived before them. We live in very narcissistic times. 

It's so much easier to destroy something than to build something.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

As I get older, I just find this sort of thing depressing. Knowing that there are people wandering around out there with no concept or regard for the history and the lives of people that have lived before them. We live in very narcissistic times. 

It's so much easier to destroy something than to build something.

Yeah! Think of all the cultural vandalism perpetrated by narcissistic states without regard for the history and lives of the people they disrespected and exploited. People who have no respect for others show no respect for themselves. It's out there alright. ;) 

26 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Yeah! Think of all the cultural vandalism perpetrated by narcissistic states without regard for the history and lives of the people they disrespected and exploited. People who have no respect for others show no respect for themselves. It's out there alright. ;) 

Indeed, BLM being another prime example, although, that's more 'cultural marxism' I suppose.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

1 minute ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Indeed, BLM being another prime example, although, that's more 'cultural marxism' I suppose.

I'm sure you will agree that the fact that some people let the side down by their behaviour does not detract from the glaringly obvious - black lives do matter. Don't you agree. :)

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm sure you will agree that the fact that some people let the side down by their behaviour does not detract from the glaringly obvious - black lives do matter. Don't you agree. :)

All lives matter....wouldn't you agree? :yes:

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

All lives matter....wouldn't you agree? :yes:

Of course. :yes:

11 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Or those which hate their own kind due to religion, and wage of war of terrorism against them to break away.

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Or those which hate their own kind due to religion, and wage of war of terrorism against them to break away.

Yeah, it started with Henry VIII and the Tudors, the first people to bring religion into the politics of the British Isles and use it to justify enforced dispossession, rapine and killing. 

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Yeah, it started with Henry VIII and the Tudors, the first people to bring religion into the politics of the British Isles and use it to justify enforced dispossession, rapine and killing. 

Meanwhile, back to the present day.....