Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The total amount of matter in the universe

Still Waters

A top goal in cosmology is to precisely measure the total amount of matter in the universe, a daunting exercise for even the most mathematically proficient. A team led by scientists at the University of California, Riverside, has now done just that.

Reporting in the Astrophysical Journal, the team determined that matter makes up 31% of the total amount of matter and energy in the universe, with the remainder consisting of dark energy.

"To put that amount of matter in context, if all the matter in the universe were spread out evenly across space, it would correspond to an average mass density equal to only about six hydrogen atoms per cubic meter," said first author Mohamed Abdullah, a graduate student in the UCR Department of Physics and Astronomy. "However, since we know 80% of matter is actually dark matter, in reality, most of this matter consists not of hydrogen atoms but rather of a type of matter which cosmologists don't yet understand."

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-scientists-precisely-total-amount-universe.html

6.2 % regular, directly measurable matter is all there is. Spooky!

Edited by zep73
  • Like 2

How does this effect our understanding or perspective of the universe in our lives, it seems to deal with cosmological constant, which effects expansion? 

3 hours ago, Damien99 said:

How does this effect our understanding or perspective of the universe in our lives, it seems to deal with cosmological constant, which effects expansion? 

Knowing how much matter there is can help determine the ultimate fate of the universe but, as in most scenarios, this is not going to have any real effect for billions, or even trillions of years it is of academic interest rather than practical.

In other words it doesn't really effect our day to day understanding or perspective of the universe in any meaningful way, unless you are a cosmologist who studies the evolution of the universe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Knowing how much matter there is can help determine the ultimate fate of the universe but, as in most scenarios, this is not going to have any real effect for billions, or even trillions of years it is of academic interest rather than practical.

In other words it doesn't really effect our day to day understanding or perspective of the universe in any meaningful way, unless you are a cosmologist who studies the evolution of the universe.

You mentioned most scenarios so can this may affect us way sooner then? 

Just now, Damien99 said:

You know the one scenario that could, hypothetically affect us sooner... you've started enough topics on it,  posted enough false claims about it (and been warned enough times about derailing topics in order to post false claims about it).

THIS is not a topic about false-vacuum decay.

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

You know the one scenario that could, hypothetically affect us sooner... you've started enough topics on it,  posted enough false claims about it (and been warned enough times about derailing topics in order to post false claims about it).

I never brought that up, but can this find effect that scenario and make it more possible and no I am not making this about that topic I am just asking 

thank you 

Edited by Damien99

On 9/29/2020 at 3:28 PM, Damien99 said:

I never brought that up, but can this find effect that scenario and make it more possible and no I am not making this about that topic I am just asking 

thank you 

I guess it does due to lack of response

2 hours ago, Damien99 said:

I guess it does due to lack of response

As usual you guessed wrong.

The lack of response was because I haven't been on site.

No it doesn't make it more likely. It has no effect on it at all. If you actually understood anything in any of the articles you have repeatedly misrepresented, or any of the answers to any of the questions you have asked you would know that.

On 9/29/2020 at 8:28 PM, Damien99 said:

I never brought that up, but can this find effect that scenario

You asked this question, knowing full well what the answer was, deliberately trying to hijack yet another topic into being about your favourite paranoid delusion:

On 9/29/2020 at 6:37 PM, Damien99 said:

I had deliberately answered your question in such away that it didn't mention vacuum decay (becauseit wasn'trelevant). I deliberately avoided making the answer off topic.

You, despite previous warnings, deliberately tried to steer the topic in the direction I tried to avoid. I even said the following to make it clear to you:

On 9/29/2020 at 6:43 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Now, what part of that was too difficult for you to understand?

That's enough with the off topic hijacking. Please do as you have been asked and confine your questions on false vacuum scenarios to a single thread.

Thank you.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 5:16 PM, zep73 said:

6.2 % regular, directly measurable matter is all there is. Spooky!

Just like a bag of potato chips.

• Haha 3