Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK store under fire for selling Ouija boards

Still Waters

POUNDLAND has come under fire for selling Ouija boards in UK stores.

The "spirit-world game" invites players and the friends to pose their questions to the dead.

While Ouija boards are viewed as a harmless parlor trick by some, many, including the church, regard them as dangerous tools which can trigger psychological harm — or something even more sinister.

And some customers are not impressed the boards are on sale.

One person tweeted: "The last thing we needed in 2020 was poundland to start selling Ouija boards."

https://www.clactonandfrintongazette.co.uk/news/south_essex_news/18755608.poundland-selling-ouija-boards-halloween-uk-stores/

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/chain-of-discount-stores-in-england-under-fire-for-selling-ouija-boards/

• Haha 9

As if this is a new thing!  Jeez!  Someone took a 100 or more year nap it seems.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

People are letting their superstitions get the better of them.

I get the feeling it's getting worse.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I think considering what some of the youth get up to today, this should be a lot lower on the list of concerns.  

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Still Waters said:

People are letting their superstitions get the better of them.

People have been doing that for thousands of years, actually.

3 hours ago, Chronus said:

Under fire from people or demons?

Personally I appreciate it if people just have a pleasant face-to-face conversation with us over a cup of tea or coffee and maybe a cookie instead of using a silly piece of cardboard. (By the way, we demons love cookies, you know)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

People have been doing that for thousands of years, actually.

Personally I appreciate it if people just have a pleasant face-to-face conversation with us over a cup of tea or coffee and maybe a cookie instead of using a silly piece of cardboard. (By the way, we demons love cookies, you know)

Big question... what flavour cookies? 

The spiritually smartest warn against the use of ouija boards and such, The spirit world is real and can be dangerous particularly to the amatuer. 

Now whether such things should be sold in a store is an ethical decision for the owners but they are often uneducated on the subject. The government should have no interference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

The spirit world is real and can be dangerous particularly to the amatuer. 

Now if you could only prove it. :whistle:

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

I think considering what some of the youth get up to today, this should be a lot lower on the list of concerns.  

It's just a bit of psyche damage. No harm, no foul.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Now if you could only prove it. :whistle:

The cumulative weight of the evidence settles the issue beyond reasonable doubt. Add controlled experiments and investigative work to the accumulation,

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The cumulative weight of the evidence settles the issue beyond reasonable doubt. Add controlled experiments and investigative work to the accumulation,

If only you could prove it.:whistle:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If only you could prove it.:whistle:

'Beyond reasonable doubt' is good enough for me! And I do believe we have statistical proof that something outside-the-box is going on from controlled experiments.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Haha 1

Just now, papageorge1 said:

'Beyond reasonable doubt' is good enough for me! 

If only you'd quit projecting your absolute certainty and percentage based bias for everyone to see. Then again you could try convincing others with some well supported proof.:whistle:

It's a lot easier to see that the ouija board is just a means of communicating with the subconscious using the ideomotor effect rather than some "spirits or demons", but that's to realistic for you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

It's a lot easier to see that the ouija board is just a means of communicating with the subconscious using the ideomotor effect rather than some "spirits or demons", but that's to realistic for you. 

The cumulative weight of the evidence tells us something outside your box of explanations must also be occurring in many cases.

• Haha 2

The spiritually smartest warn against the use of ouija boards and such, The spirit world is real and can be dangerous particularly to the amatuer. 

It's nice to get a mention! :tu:

Ouija Board's are a toy, but can also be a tool, in the same way that a crystal ball is just a ball of glass, or a divining rod may be a stick of willow.

Even if a negative outcome is psychological, not paranormal, no good ever comes from using a Ouija Board.

• Haha 3

Now whether such things should be sold in a store is an ethical decision for the owners but they are often uneducated on the subject. The government should have no interference.

The issue is you only ever hear off the people who claim to have experienced something during or after using a board.  I should imagine if everyone who had used one with no experiences were to tell their story albeit boring story it would pretty much clear this nonsense up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Awwww, come on folks, lets not derail the topic into yet another Papa G believes and prove it argument please. 

Back on topic a bit... I'm not surprised at it being sold as a novelty game- and for a just a pound!! I am a bit more surprised in this day and age that there would be such a general public outcry about it. Debates about it float around on forums like this one, but I would think that in general the public is over it. Guess not. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, acute said:

Ouija Board's are a toy, but can also be a tool, in the same way that a crystal ball is just a ball of glass, or a divining rod may be a stick of willow.

To me the interesting question is if the paranormal is sometimes involved. I believe the answer to be 'yes'. 

7 minutes ago, acute said:

Even if a negative outcome is psychological, not paranormal, no good ever comes from using a Ouija Board.

I think many have had real and positive experiences with the Ouija board. But the risk of a bad experience is too great to recommend its use to amateurs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rashore said:

Awwww, come on folks, lets not derail the topic into yet another Papa G believes and prove it argument please. 

The good Papa was a little too smart to take the bait.

3 minutes ago, rashore said:

Back on topic a bit... I'm not surprised at it being sold as a novelty game- and for a just a pound!! I am a bit more surprised in this day and age that there would be such a general public outcry about it. Debates about it float around on forums like this one, but I would think that in general the public is over it. Guess not. 

I would more say the general public is uneducated about the subject rather than 'over it'. 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, rashore said:

It has been sold as a novelty game since my mom was a child in the 30's, maybe longer.  I was thinking the same as you that nowadays there would be less consternation and protest about it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rashore said:

You have to consider how media influences people's perception of these things. Didn't we have a wave of ouija board threads a few years ago, after some ouija movie came out? I think the same thing happened with a bunch of "possessed doll" threads being created as well. 

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It has been sold as a novelty game since my mom was a child in the 30's, maybe longer.  I was thinking the same as you that nowadays there would be less consternation and protest about it.

Considering people are still superstitious and probably have religious induced paranoia about these things. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Oh yeah, we have had cycles off and on of the boards being more popularly discussed. Other stuff trends off and on too. Happens in other places around the internet too. 

Does kind of make me wonder why that town though. What the demographics are- if there's also other lore popular there. I know nothing about the place, but I bet there is some data to be mined to help explain it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rashore said:

Oh yeah, we have had cycles off and on of the boards being more popularly discussed. Other stuff trends off and on too. Happens in other places around the internet too. 

Does kind of make me wonder why that town though. What the demographics are- if there's also other lore popular there. I know nothing about the place, but I bet there is some data to be mined to help explain it. 

This is probably one of those things were 5 people make a huge stink about it. So the company has to deal with it as if it's a major crisis. Seems to happen a lot. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2