Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK store under fire for selling Ouija boards

Still Waters

What a nonsense. It's a toy for crying out loud. You can buy pink ones for girls on Amazon for example and regular ones at Toys R us online.

Here is a nice scientific study result about the famous boards called https://sciencenordic.com/behaviour-denmark-superstition/how-ouija-boards-really-work/1457820

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I think many have had real and positive experiences with the Ouija board. But the risk of a bad experience is too great to recommend its use to amateurs.

I've never heard of "positive experiences" with a Ouija Board.

I only know of undesirable outcomes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, acute said:

See reply #27

14 minutes ago, the13bats said:
41 minutes ago, acute said:

See reply #27

As I said on the first page,

"Even if a negative outcome is psychological, not paranormal, no good ever comes from using a Ouija Board."

Saying that, I only personally know of paranormal (not psychological) consequences.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, acute said:

I have heard many, many positive stories of friendly spirits coming through with no negative consequences.

Ouija: The Spirits and the Positive Side of the Talking Board

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I have heard many, many positive stories of friendly spirits coming through with no negative consequences.

Ouija: The Spirits and the Positive Side of the Talking Board

Thanks. I'll take a look at that. :tu:

I have only ever heard of low spirits coming through.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

The issue is you only ever hear off the people who claim to have experienced something during or after using a board.  I should imagine if everyone who had used one with no experiences were to tell their story albeit boring story it would pretty much clear this nonsense up.

Because there are many non-connections does mean there are not also many real connections. I tried it by myself and got no movement but I believe others have.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

The cumulative weight of the evidence tells us something outside your box of explanations must also be occurring in many cases.

There is no evidence. 

image.jpeg.00e3826282cd925758f908be8dc28946.jpeg

Edited by ThereWeAreThen
Not sure why the meme is small. :(
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

There is no evidence. 

image.jpeg.00e3826282cd925758f908be8dc28946.jpeg

For the twentieth time with you, I've seen no evidence that you will ever understand what the word 'evidence' even means when investigating mysteries.

There we are then.

21 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

For the twentieth time with you, I've seen no evidence that you will ever understand what the word 'evidence' even means when investigating mysteries.

There we are then.

If there is no evidence why do you assume there is? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

There we are then.

For the billionth time with you, stories and crappy videos do no count as evidence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Surely, if there was proof that ghosts exist, the entire world would know and we'd literally be taught it in schools? Not evidence but PROOF.

Billions of people have died everywhere humans have inhabited and yet there is no PROOF ghosts exist. Call me closed minded but that is why I don't believe they exist.

Tell you what, make of it as you will but just found this. "6 possible scientific reasons for ghosts"

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-possible-scientific-reasons-for-ghosts/

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

For the billionth time with you, stories and crappy videos do no count as evidence.

Lol, and who determines ‘crappy’ from ‘non-crappy’ videos? It’s all evidence for consideration, stronger and weaker.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Lol, and who determines ‘crappy’ from ‘non-crappy’ videos? It’s all evidence for consideration, stronger and weaker.

Do you know what? Fine, I'll concede the crappy videos are actual evidence, cause what we can see is either happening or not. For example, someone claims to see a ghost on video, but its badly done CGI (just an example) or a door slamming on its own. Yes, the door is slamming on its own but most of the times the video doesn't show everything. So yes, videos, crappy or not are evidence, vast majority of the time, evidence of a hoax or just something normal happening. (I'll even chuck you a like for that as a sign of a defeat :tsu:).

But come on man, you've got to admit that without any evidence, stories are just stories.

Oh enough with the pointless argument of asking Papa G to validate his beliefs, and his bickering back please. Years and hundreds of threads derailed with it is more than plenty. Talk about the topic, and stop talking about each other. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, rashore said:

Oh enough with the pointless argument of asking Papa G to validate his beliefs, and his bickering back please. Years and hundreds of threads derailed with it is more than plenty. Talk about the topic, and stop talking about each other. 

Shouldn't he support his point of view with links in order to give validity to his view point? A couple of the most compelling cases, or proper scientific studies that help validate his opinions? It is only fair.

6 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Do you know what? Fine, I'll concede the crappy videos are actual evidence, cause what we can see is either happening or not. For example, someone claims to see a ghost on video, but its badly done CGI (just an example) or a door slamming on its own. Yes, the door is slamming on its own but most of the times the video doesn't show everything. So yes, videos, crappy or not are evidence, vast majority of the time, evidence of a hoax or just something normal happening. (I'll even chuck you a like for that as a sign of a defeat :tsu:).

But come on man, you've got to admit that without any evidence, stories are just stories.

An analysis of a body of stories for quantity, quality and consistency can affect my view of reality as it has towards the paranormal. Stories can be important.

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

An analysis of a body of stories for quantity, quality and consistency can affect my view of reality as it has towards the paranormal. Stories can be important.

It may affect your view, but it doesn't make it evidence. Sorry.

I'm assuming Rashore is referring to me and yourself. So on that note I'll leave it to that.

Edited by ThereWeAreThen

1 minute ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

It may affect your view, but it doesn't make it evidence. Sorry.

Really? Again? The moderator above is sick of this.

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Really? Again? The moderator above is sick of this.

Maybe some of us are sick of it too. Why should the skeptics be the one's the validate their opinion/s while believers like yourself get a free ride? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Maybe some of us are sick of it too. Why should the skeptics be the one's the validate their opinion/s while believers like yourself get a free ride? 

Free ride? I give my reasons in general. Arguing individual cases with a determined skeptic is a fool’s errand. I’m no fool!

14 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Free ride? I give my reasons in general. Arguing individual cases with a determined skeptic is a fool’s errand. I’m no fool!

You don't discuss. You throw out some arbitrary percentage. Then make claim that it is all real. When questioned about it you avoid further conversations. On the occasions you've been asked to support yourself. When you do (which is rare) that too always gets debunked. 

If someone's sees some-thing at 3 am while half asleep, if I or anyone else for that matter gives a valid explanation we have to support it. You and others like yourself do not. You can feed people's imaginations all day long, but don't let a skeptic say anything. That's a no no. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

You don't discuss. You throw out some arbitrary percentage. Then make claim that it is all real. When questioned about it you avoid further conversations. On the occasions you've been asked to support yourself. When you do (which is rare) that too always gets debunked. 

If someone's sees some-thing at 3 am while half asleep, if I or anyone else for that matter gives a valid explanation we have to support it. You and others like yourself do not. You can feed people's imaginations all day long, but don't let a skeptic say anything. That's a no no. 

All false news above. I suggest you ignore me then.

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Shouldn't he support his point of view with links in order to give validity to his view point? A couple of the most compelling cases, or proper scientific studies that help validate his opinions? It is only fair.

He did give link to what he feels is compelling, in post 31 further up this page. It’s not being accepted very well and he isn’t getting a free ride in response. Folks are just chasing each other’s tails about it. 

Im not sure what might be out there for scientific studies of ouija or negative views on it like what was presented in the OP, but ThereWeAreThen did post a link about science and ghosts as a rebuttal. Might be a notion to dig into it a bit.