Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britons would sell their online history data

Eldorado

Many UK citizens say that they feel prepared to sell various aspects of their digital identity if they were financially compensated. That is according to research of over 2,100 UK consumers for a cloud-based identity product company.

The survey suggests that almost two-thirds would be willing to sell their purchase history (63pc), location data (62pc), browsing history (59pc) and details of their online media consumption (59pc).

Over half would also be happy to share their social media activity, including what they post on social platforms (56pc) and who they follow or engage with (56pc).

Full report at Pro Security UK: Link

• Like 1

Well,why not.

They already get all our info for free anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Many UK citizens say that they feel prepared to sell various aspects of their digital identity if they were financially compensated. That is according to research of over 2,100 UK consumers for a cloud-based identity product company.

The survey suggests that almost two-thirds would be willing to sell their purchase history (63pc), location data (62pc), browsing history (59pc) and details of their online media consumption (59pc).

Over half would also be happy to share their social media activity, including what they post on social platforms (56pc) and who they follow or engage with (56pc).

Full report at Pro Security UK: Link

The biggest problem I have is that our data is sold without our permission and without compensation.  If we got compensation and had the option to not sell our data I would be on board too.   But this has been going on since before the internet. 

I had proof that the phone company was selling our data when I added a second phone line and suddenly got a plethora of junk mail trying to sell me all kinds of things.  I called the phone company and asked to talk to a manager, telling them I did not give permission for them to sell my information.  That person denied doing it so I asked to speak to that person's boss and got someone who admitted they did and said that permission was assumed unless they were notified that they did not have permission.  Which is bassackwards, considering that they denied that they sold the information to begin with, how are we supposed to know that we have to tell them not to sell it?

You can see by my diatribe that this is an extremely irksome issue for me.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

Well,why not.

They already get all our info for free anyway.

Someone gets money for collecting it.  Lists of data are sold all the time.

• Like 2

By all means, they're welcome to make of mine whatever they like