Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible Reason's For Ghost

XenoFish

The idea of this thread is the present support or answers to the question of what ghost are. More importantly what they might actually be caused by. 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-possible-scientific-reasons-for-ghosts/

https://theconversation.com/hearing-ghost-voices-relies-on-pseudoscience-and-fallibility-of-human-perception-48160

https://wellcomecollection.org/articles/XO2LKRAAAENibaF7 (ouija board)

https://theconversation.com/psychotic-experiences-are-quite-common-even-among-people-who-dont-have-a-mental-health-condition-124236

https://news.yahoo.com/ghost-sightings-as-explained-by-science-095550862.html?guccounter=1 (similar to the first but a bit more in depth.)

As some of you might notice a few of these links were threads on the forum. Feel free to discuss and presenting links in welcomed.

Bonus link https://news.mit.edu/2019/how-expectation-influences-perception-0715

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Looks like this'll become Science vs. Faith. 

To be fair, won't all your links about how ghost are probably not real and all in our minds? 

Isn't that going to be a skeptic vs believer thing? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

To be fair, won't all your links about how ghost are probably not real and all in our minds? 

I really see it as narrow materialist science versus broader views of theoretical science. 

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Nope. It's a list of links that basically short cut half of what I typically say. And it shows that real research as been done and what the conclusions were. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I really see it as narrow materialist science versus broader views of theoretical science. 

Correction, it's a scientific perspective into the "paranormal". Just a different perspective from what we usually see I suppose.

If someone wishes to go on and on about some esoteric/metaphysical explanation, then that explanation needs real supporting evidence. Studies that actually validate it rather than opinion pieces. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If someone wishes to go on and on about some esoteric/metaphysical explanation, then that explanation needs real supporting evidence. Studies that actually validate it rather than opinion pieces. 

This. If you claim to know something scientists don't know, please please back it up with evidence. I bet you scientists woud love to be proven wrong on the "paranormal", why? Cause scientists are curious and would love to study such a thing if it existed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, ThereWeAreThen said:

This. If you claim to know something scientists don't know, please please back it up with evidence. I bet you scientists woud love to be proven wrong on the "paranormal", why? Cause scientists are curious and would love to study such a thing if it existed.

Same. I've been waiting for legit research papers on this. Sadly most if not all of them are poorly done. With experience that have no controlled conditions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Correction, it's a scientific perspective into the "paranormal". Just a different perspective from what we usually see I suppose.

There are theories that are materialistic and those that include additional (paranormal entities) elements. One should consider all in this thread.

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

There are theories that are materialistic and those that include additional (paranormal entities) elements. One should consider all in this thread.

I'm still waiting for you to post the more scientific ones. Shouldn't be too difficult. I mean, I did it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

PG this is your chance. This is the thread where YOU can present your very best. In doing so there shall be a thread you can point to and say "Here is my best evidence". Take this opportunity for what it is. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's really a facts vs belief thing. Nothing supports the belief, and the facts can explain most, if not all claims. These are real studies, not wild ideas based in philosophies that appeal to certain individuals. So many paranormal claimants say the field is shunned. Well there's proof that it's not. Some will get their panties invn a bunch over it because they really like the ghost idea. The OP well illustrated how childish and silly those claims really are. 

Using the "materialist" buzzword is a big red flag for those furthest from reality. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

It's really a facts vs belief thing. Nothing supports the belief, and the facts can explain most, if not all claims. These are real studies, not wild ideas based in philosophies that appeal to certain individuals. So many paranormal claimants say the field is shunned. Well there's proof that it's not. Some will get their panties invn a bunch over it because they really like the ghost idea. The OP well illustrated how childish and silly those claims really are. 

Using the "materialist" buzzword is a big red flag for those furthest from reality. 

You bring up a good point, a point that I have refused to express, but why not. I see this fear of ghost, ghouls, demons, etc as being a left-over from childhood. I figure most of us had parents that dispelled the monster under our bed, in our closet or in our bedroom. They might have empowered us against our own fear. So I have to honestly question if these ghost stories are just an extension of that. Adults who are still afraid of the monster in the dark. Which also explains why banishing rituals work. It's not that different from the monster destroying flashlight of ultimate power we might of had.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm still waiting for you to post the more scientific ones. Shouldn't be too difficult. I mean, I did it.

I include what could be called occult sciences and Vedic Science that includes psychic insight.

We do not need to restrict ourselves to only the physical senses and instruments particularly when trying to understand ghosts.

Edited by papageorge1

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I include what could be called occult sciences and Vedic Science that includes psychic insight.

We do not need to restrict ourselves to only the physical senses and instruments particularly when trying to understand ghosts.

We have psychology for that. Are you not able to present scientific studies that validate the paranormal? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

We have psychology for that. Are you not able to present scientific studies that validate the paranormal? 

I consider occult, theosophical and Vedic traditions as doing scientific studies. 

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I consider occult, theosophical and Vedic traditions as doing scientific studies. 

You consider it. Not sure anyone else does and it doesn't seem like it supports much in the ways of tangible explanations. More opinion than anything. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

You consider it. Not sure anyone else does and it doesn't seem like it supports much in the ways of tangible explanations. More opinion than anything. 

And I find these traditions the leading edge of understanding of the paranormal and understanding the reasons for ghosts.

• The topic was locked